Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of An Era - Last SAAB 340 Flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
End of An Era - Last SAAB 340 Flight

Yesterday was Air Nelson's last passenger SAAB 340 flight.
NZ8161 WLG-NSN (ZK-NLH).
Kiwi Flyer and I have been keeping an eye on the SAAB fleet and now they have finally been replaced with the Dash 8-300Q.
Oh they were to have finished flying earlier but we surmised that certain problems with B1900Ds may have casued the service to be extended a little longer.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:05 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Always sad to see the end of a series of planes in any airline.

Except maybe the A330's at Qantas, oh wait they aren't going anywhere

Never flew on the SAAB with Air NZ but had two flights with Air Rarotonga on them. Not a bad little aircraft!
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Funny thing flying on US, many flyers seem to prefer the Saab 340 over the Dash-8. My home airport is only Dash-8 service....but I have used it to connect to NZ 744 service before :0)

Hopefully your Dash-8s are more comfortable than mine!
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I do prefer the saab as I always get an "A" seat.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:44 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Are the Dash 8s as squeezy as the Saabs are/were? While I'm quite fond of the Saabs and I always enjoyed the single 'A' seats, I did find the amount of personal space very limited. The ATRs on the other hand seem to be significantly more comfortable, so I just assumed the Dash 8s would be similar...
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Dash 8 is in between ATR and Saab in terms of comfort. Row 1 is tighter than the other rows, because of the tray table, and on left hand side the mini bulkhead/edge of door.

Most of the time they have the arm rests up in the other rows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.