Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Any chance of Business award opening up to UA for Dec

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows when Air NZ opens award availability to United Airlines.

Family have an award trip between ORD-SYD on 19th Dec on UA metal.
Since final distination is Brisbane, would be great to fly with Air NZ as it could get them to Brisbane, and also they could experience a non US carrier (they think UA is god, but they have not tried anything else except for AA).

I looked up availability with the ANA tool, however it shows no abailability between LAX-AKL or SFO-AKL (only need the 1 way on Air NZ).

Any chance of Air NZ releasing more inventory to UA ? Or would have everything been release allready ?

Thanks

David
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:57 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by davem4
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows when Air NZ opens award availability to United Airlines.

Family have an award trip between ORD-SYD on 19th Dec on UA metal.
Since final distination is Brisbane, would be great to fly with Air NZ as it could get them to Brisbane, and also they could experience a non US carrier (they think UA is god, but they have not tried anything else except for AA).

I looked up availability with the ANA tool, however it shows no abailability between LAX-AKL or SFO-AKL (only need the 1 way on Air NZ).

Any chance of Air NZ releasing more inventory to UA ? Or would have everything been release allready ?

Thanks

David
Are you talking about this year?
Dec is definitely high season and considering the difficulty I had this year, as opposed to last year, in getting a Business Class seats on NZ I am betting the answer is no. I had a quick look and I could not even see any discount Business Class seats on LAX-AKL so I would say no chance at all.
For NZ Airpoints members they can get seats on any fare class, they just pay the actual fare, for *A partners there is only the designated award buckets.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:54 pm

Any chance of Air NZ releasing more inventory to UA ?
Yes.

Or would have everything been release allready ?
Nope.

Air NZ (like UA) will release more inventory between AU/NZ and North America for the Dec/Jan peak season if and when they decide they are unlikely to sell it. Over the past few years that has happened from a few weeks to a few days before the flights in question. If you need to firm up your plans now or within a short timeframe you're unlikely to find more inventory released. If you can wait until Dec and fly on a few days notice, perhaps on inconvenient dates, there may be inventory released much, much closer to flights. It's a crapshoot.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 2:18 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Air NZ (like UA) will release more inventory between AU/NZ and North America for the Dec/Jan peak season if and when they decide they are unlikely to sell it. Over the past few years that has happened from a few weeks to a few days before the flights in question. If you need to firm up your plans now or within a short timeframe you're unlikely to find more inventory released. If you can wait until Dec and fly on a few days notice, perhaps on inconvenient dates, there may be inventory released much, much closer to flights. It's a crapshoot.
But beware -- just because NZ *may* open up BP inventory close to departure dates does not mean that it will be available to UA. Many threads have discussed the lack of availability of such awards to UA MP members while members of other *A programs can claim them.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold
Currently have ORD-LAX-SYD booked.

So need to shell out 120 dollars for Syd-BNE flight.

Figured a change on the award would be the same, and my family would get to try out a much better product for a change

Anyway, they dont want to wait and possibly miss out on SYD-BNE flights, so they are booking the domestic flight this week.

I'll keep an eye out closer to the date, if it opens up maybe they will change it and just take the domestic fare as a loss.

Thanks,

From David
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta MM, Lufthansa FTL, SPG Gold
Difficult to find seats on Air NZ

I'm experiencing the same problem trying to book a couple of Business tickets from BOS to SYD with AirNZ with either MP or MM miles. I intend (maybe a wishful thinking) to get down early Nov. and come back 2-3 weeks after. So far I have been unlucky trying to book either through LH or UA. In fact, the MM agent said that she could not find anything starting from 10/15 all the way through 2/28/08!

I haven't been able to log into the frequently-mentioned "ANA tool" to check availability. (Some help could come handy).

Anyone with some advise on how to improve my chances of finding these seats? (Saver awards is all I can afford)
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
This close to departure you need to be very very lucky to get business class awards on NZ between USA and NZ.

Keep trying, you could get lucky.

Be flexible - eg route via HNL or one of the islands (NAN or RAR or APW/TBU) - although these have the old business class not new. If more than one pax consider separate flights. Be sure to check flights from LAX and SFO and YVR to AKL (YVR isn't daily).
Old Oct 3, 2007, 7:57 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
I managed to get a AKL-HKG-LHR for the 23/12, but I had to book that back in April. Have been looking for a rtn flight in Jan, but no luck yet. Don't forget that Christmas is the start of summer in NZ and Au, so its peak season.

tht
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: United Gold
I can't believe I just discovered this wonderful forum!

Is there a particular time of year where one has a better chance in obtaining award business seats on Air New Zealand using UA MP miles? I'm a Gold member.

I would love to go in March 2009.

Thank you,
fitgal
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Welcome to Flyer Talk fitgal

I assume you mean on flights between USA and NZ/beyond (as some regional flights are very easy to get business award seats but offer less "value").

The surest way is to book when they are released some 11/12 months ahead of departure. Otherwise avoid peak travel - southern summer, school holidays, major events, Fridays through Monday (business travellers), etc.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:17 pm

Yes, I mean from either LAX or SFO to AUK. I called UA at midnight the day the flights were available with no luck. However, I attempted to reserve seats for December. That's why I was thinking March would be a better option for me to grab some free seats.

Thanks for your help, Kiwi Flyer.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

March should be easier than December, but for 2007/2008 northern winter it may already be too late.

If you haven't already done so, sign up for an ANA account (free to join) and search for awards online (no need to have the miles). www.ana.co.jp/eng Note that Mileage Plus award availability could be worse than what shows in the ANA tool.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:27 pm

I plan to travel in March 2009. I have plenty of time to do my research and will have a flexible schedule (yet, I am hoping for a two week holiday in the South Island). I'm thrilled to find this forum. I'm already learning a ton of valuable information.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 7:01 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by fitgal
I plan to travel in March 2009. I have plenty of time to do my research and will have a flexible schedule (yet, I am hoping for a two week holiday in the South Island). I'm thrilled to find this forum. I'm already learning a ton of valuable information.
The Ana tool is great, and has an option to search via a connecting city as well, then you just keep hitting the arrows to search a day later....

One thing to consider is the cost of internal flights, you may as well book you ticket through all the way to South Island. I have only had one long haul booking using UA miles on NZ, and that was to Japan from Auckland, at first I was searching for a ticket to Tokyo only, but luckily I realised before I booked that I could get my connecting flight to Kagoshima included in my miles, that said this may reduce availability so its worth searching AKL, and CHC as well.

I presume that you are looking for a award in C ? If you are flying Y you may as well buy a ticket, the product is good and you will get a healthy chunk of miles from LAX-AKL.

tht

P.S. NZ is a great place to visit, I did the south of the South island at Christmas 2 years ago with 3 girls who were at NYU and they had blast! ^
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Note that Mileage Plus award availability could be worse than what shows in the ANA tool.
Seems that MP agrees with ANA where it shows US-NZ Biz award availability in the next couple of weeks. LAX-LHR is almost impossible, but that's because UA also services that route and UA demand isn't overwhelming. They probably don't want to send NZ-bound Biz award travelers on their high-revenue Sydney route.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
March should be easier than December, but for 2007/2008 northern winter it may already be too late.
My mother wants to travel SFO to NZ in early March 2008, returning early April. Biz award would be nice. Not now available, of course, but maybe later? She has date flexibility. Are there any school holiday etc. periods to stay away from? Are Tuesday-Thursday the most likely days for Biz award space to come up?

We're just doing some preliminary bracketing at this point. Any thoughts welcome.

Last edited by Explore; Oct 5, 2007 at 9:00 pm Reason: elaborate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.