Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in MEL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Connecting in MEL

Hi, I'm thinking of taking NZ121 AKL-MEL that lands at 1045am connecting to MEL-SFO flight that departs at 12 noon on two separate tickets. However, I don't have any checked luggage so theoretically shouldn't need to go through immigration. Am I correct that I can stay airside and connect that way? also is the 75 min connection cutting it too short? TIA!
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:45 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Yes, you can stay airside and it will take just a few minutes from arrival back to departure level but if the first leg is delayed, you are not likely to be protected.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:58 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I am unsure of MCT at Melbourne.
But I think you have little to no chance in making this connection. You will have to go through connection security in MEL to enter the departures area after arrival. Arrivals and departures are separated areas.
And remember Air NZ's on time performance these days is very poor.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
As above - not recommended as you have no protection if your inbound flight is late. I usually aim for at least a 4 hour gap between flights if considering something like this.

What is your plan B if you arrive late from AKL and miss the flight to SFO…?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by gogogofalcons
Hi, I'm thinking of taking NZ121 AKL-MEL that lands at 1045am connecting to MEL-SFO flight that departs at 12 noon on two separate tickets. However, I don't have any checked luggage so theoretically shouldn't need to go through immigration. Am I correct that I can stay airside and connect that way? also is the 75 min connection cutting it too short? TIA!
EF shows 45 minute MCT I/I.
Risk is up to you. I would rather be earlier or over night at Rydges but that is me.
I think you will have no problem if on time arrival.
You did not supply flight outbound and I looked to see random dates- QF showing 1140 and no flights at 1200 on the dates I chose. Be careful about schedule changes!

Sorry- Was thinking of Rydges in SYD. Not sure what hotels at MEL.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:19 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
I would personally not do something like this with such a short connection (unless it was on one ticket where the airline needs to assume the responsibility). All it would take is a little delay coming out of Auckland and your trip could become very stressful indeed, and I would imagine no travel insurance policy would cover for this kind of thing (in fact, do any travel insurance policies cover for any form of separate ticket missed connection even if you've got several hours time?)

If me, I would try and travel night before and stay the night, or at the very least take an earlier flight to Melbourne if you can get one?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:05 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by zebranz
EF shows 45 minute MCT I/I.
Risk is up to you. I would rather be earlier or over night at Rydges but that is me.
I think you will have no problem if on time arrival.
You did not supply flight outbound and I looked to see random dates- QF showing 1140 and no flights at 1200 on the dates I chose. Be careful about schedule changes!

Sorry- Was thinking of Rydges in SYD. Not sure what hotels at MEL.
Parkroyal directly opposite terminal (50m), Holiday Inn 200m, Formule1…who cares!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.