Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Upgrading United Domestic Legs on Air NZ Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2024, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Hi Team,

Travelling AKL-LAX-DEN-MCI-IAH-AKL on Air NZ ticket, PE A class on Air NZ legs and Economy W class on United domestic legs.

In previous years of travelling United Domestic on Air NZ tickets, we'd have the option to purchase cash-upgrades from economy to domestic first on the United Website when typing in the United/Partner booking reference into My Trips to select seats etc. I've noticed this ability has disappeared over the last two years with upgrade options for domestic legs only available for purchase with miles (which are very poor value to purchase off United's Milage Plus website).

Question: Have any of you been able to purchase upgrades for United Domestic on an Air NZ ticket with cash? I called United who said they won't do it because they'd have to re-issue the ticket and it's an Air NZ ticket. I called Air NZ and they wouldn't/couldn't do it either.

Far from the end of the world travelling economy on United Domestic with domestic first not being much better, but I wanted to do anything I could to give my older travel companion a comfortable journey.

I appreciate you sharing your advice/experience! Thank you
Old Mar 17, 2024, 8:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
AFAIK, this change has been recent as I was able to upgrade a domestic UA segment in 2023 (IAH - ATL) using cash, which was part of NZ ticket from AKL-IAH-ATL-LAX-AKL but when I tried doing the same for my upcoming trip this year UA informed that they can no longer do this.
NZ can upgrade the domestic legs operated by UA as long as your other NZ operated flights in the ticket are upgraded as well from PE to J so fare difference will apply.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:48 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I was going to say any changes must have been recent.

Even on my UA flights late last year (before NZ introduced the ability to do seat select from their app) I could log into the UA site with the PNR and see the option to upgrade to any seat for $$$

As it turns out I had two different friends lodge Mileage Plus upgrades for me - both of which failed when you're looking at 40+ people on the list for a 737 flight!
Old Mar 23, 2024, 1:25 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
I've done it on NZ ticket, but note that I did NOT get the APD/Status Points for the upgraded travel class, it kept me in discount economy.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:53 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Must be very recent or a gliche.
I did it LAX to DEN to DFW in Jan.
Using the process you described -->. Go to manage my booking and select a seat upgrade.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:15 pm

Programs: QFF
I've got a multitude of work bookings on UA (Domestic) coming up, and none of them have the ability to purchase upgrades with money, only points. Sad face.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I lost the ability to do so for a similar itinerary in July 2023 (last year), so the fact that some of you have been able to as recent as January this year sparks my curiosity.
I tried changing the frequent flier account on the ticket from Air NZ Airpoints to UA Milage Plus in the Air NZ portal, but that hasn't affected any ability to do the upgrade in the UA portal. I wonder if it has anything to do with the economy fare class (W)? Air NZ's 'Star Alliance upgrades' (if it's actually a thing that's ever worked for anyone) are also not possible for W class on UA.

bce1 do you remember what fare class your UA domestic legs were?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:46 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
H
if that helps!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:33 pm

Programs: QFF
I'm on a mix of G & V coming up, which some quick googling suggest are deep discount tickets (cheers work travel agent) so I suspect not eligible for an upgrade!
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I’ve had mixed results. Some bookings have an option to upgrade in the UA app (usually not worth it), others don’t.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.