Wiki Posts
Search

Points went to United instead of Air NZ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airpoints
Points went to United instead of Air NZ

So my understanding is that flights on a Air NZ booked ticket should earn status and Airpoints regardless of if it's a Air NZ metal or United metal flight.
However, my United account earned the miles and status instead of my Air NZ account - missing me out on ~200 status points.

Does anyone know why this happened? Was it because I adding the booking to my United account so I could seat select? I can see on the receipt on the United website that it was an 086 ticket with my Air NZ FF number mentioned.

Is there anyway to undo the earn and add it back to Air NZ?

Last edited by arnienz; Mar 23, 2024 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by arnienz
So my understanding is that flights on a Air NZ booked ticket should earn status and Airpoints regardless of if it's a Air NZ metal or United metal flight.
However, my United account earned the miles and status instead of my Air NZ account - missing me out on ~200 status points.

Does anyone know why this happened? Was it because I adding the booking to my United account so I could seat select? I can see on the receipt on the United website that it was an 086 ticket with my Air NZ FF number mentioned.

Is there anyway to undo the earn and add it back to Air NZ?
What frequent flyer number was on your boarding pass?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
What frequent flyer number was on your boarding pass?
Looks like the UA one. Bit confusing since the ticket receipt orginally was the AP number. Somehow it changed - possibly when i assigned to booking to my UA account to seat select.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Looks like the UA one. Bit confusing since the ticket receipt orginally was the AP number. Somehow it changed - possibly when i assigned to booking to my UA account to seat select.
Welcome to FT by the way. Probably no-one here that has had this happen once - and subsequently obsessively double checking what is on the BP...

Little can be done in my experience (TG biz flights went to TG instead of NZ - arrrgh). You'd need to ask UA to agree and reverse the crediting somehow, and then retrospectively claim on NZ.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Welcome to FT by the way. Probably no-one here that has had this happen once - and subsequently obsessively double checking what is on the BP...

Little can be done in my experience (TG biz flights went to TG instead of NZ - arrrgh). You'd need to ask UA to agree and reverse the crediting somehow, and then retrospectively claim on NZ.
Long time lurker - first time poster

In the future if I notice this is wrong can them amend the FF number at checkin or in the lounge for me?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Long time lurker - first time poster

In the future if I notice this is wrong can them amend the FF number at checkin or in the lounge for me?
Yes. In fact after you'd selected seats on UA, you could have then used the NZ app to re-set the ffp back to Airpoints. And then when checking in you can double check. Of course Lounge and Gate Agents can do this as well.

Sometimes, a change in ff# can propagate to all subsequent sectors in the booking. So check carefully what has been done if an Agent makes the change.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:28 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
Yes this can definitely be the case. I had a Y sector on SQ last month on an AirNZ ticket. I used some UA points to upgrade the sector and this put my UA ff number into the sector without my knowing and possibly the rest of the booking.. Luckily the SQ check in agent politely told me he couldn’t see my Star Alliance gold status which alerted me to what had happened. I needed those status points from the flight to accrue to my AirNZ ff account so that was lucky.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Good news. I got pushy with United after I asked why I earnt their miles and provided my receipt which showed my Air NZ FF number.
They refunded the miles, then I went on the Air NZ site and claimed them and they all instantly got added.

Annoyingly it didn't retrospectively accumulate to my Silver status since I just regained it (would have gained it earlier if the flights went to ANZ at the time). But good news overall and better than having miles sitting in United that i'd never use.
Thai-Kiwi and raznz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.