Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

A320 trans-Tasman front seats post works-deluxe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A320 trans-Tasman front seats post works-deluxe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:12 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Chessboxin
Before long Elites etc will have to pay extra if they want to sit in the front half of the plane.
Actually petty things like AirNZ trying to nickel and dime me for $10 here, $20 there, extra long hold times etc. just make me dislike the whole airline. I will now never fly them TT unless I have to (i.e. QF full or better schedule). A few weeks ago I flew CHC-BNE because I had a QF connection to POM, but Sydney I never fly NZ and Melbourne only very occasionally.
I have never paid for anything extra on QF (QF Plat). Also, hold times are almost always minimal, at worst 15 mins. They seem to genuinely prioritise elites
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
AirNZ has been gouging Cantabrians for decades......?
hahaha yes exactly!!!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:46 pm

With the current Pratt issues, the load shedding to QF is most probably helping them. Means there are seats for people who want to fly AirNZ.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
With the current Pratt issues, the load shedding to QF is most probably helping them. Means there are seats for people who want to fly AirNZ.
Except the issue doesn't affect TT planes does it? This much be quite an important segment for them, I cant imagine they would want to lose traffic there
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Except the issue doesn't affect TT planes does it? This much be quite an important segment for them, I cant imagine they would want to lose traffic there
The Pratt issues means AirNZ has a bunch of NEOs grounded.

Not to be confused with the Rolls issue affecting the 787s.

And the Rolls issue means less 787s to do a day return to Aussie and Islands so Neos have to backfill.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:48 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
NZ have lost market share.. And WLG in particular is just terrible. The single WLG/SYD flight is now a 1540 departure from WLG and 0755 departure from SYD.

It makes it impossible to go away for the weekend unless you want to come back at 0755 on Sunday or pay for another nights accommodation and miss work on Mon. I have a number of friends who have all booked QF for recent SYD trips.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:13 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
NZ have lost market share.. And WLG in particular is just terrible. The single WLG/SYD flight is now a 1540 departure from WLG and 0755 departure from SYD.

It makes it impossible to go away for the weekend unless you want to come back at 0755 on Sunday or pay for another nights accommodation and miss work on Mon. I have a number of friends who have all booked QF for recent SYD trips.
Likewise for Business Trips. I have friends having to fly QF so they can have full days in Sydney.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by WLG Base
Likewise for Business Trips. I have friends having to fly QF so they can have full days in Sydney.
Unless I'm missing something, Chch is a bit like that too now. Last few times I've gone to Sydney I haven't seen an option for an evening flight back home. I used to be able to depart 6.30am, arrive about 8am, and take the train all the way out to Penrith where a client had their distribution facility - arriving at the office by 9am, often before they would be there.

I could then train back to the airport with enough time to have a bit of dinner and a shower, before hopping on a direct flight home (I want to say it would leave around 7pm?). Back in bed at home by 1am. Bit of a long day but doable.

Now you have to fly back the next morning.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:28 pm
THR

Originally Posted by samjaynz
Unless I'm missing something, Chch is a bit like that too now. Last few times I've gone to Sydney I haven't seen an option for an evening flight back home. I used to be able to depart 6.30am, arrive about 8am, and take the train all the way out to Penrith where a client had their distribution facility - arriving at the office by 9am, often before they would be there.

I could then train back to the airport with enough time to have a bit of dinner and a shower, before hopping on a direct flight home (I want to say it would leave around 7pm?). Back in bed at home by 1am. Bit of a long day but doable.

Now you have to fly back the next morning.
The reverse is true also. Only a 6.30am flight from Christchurch - which means a ~3.30/4am start.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:23 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by THR
The reverse is true also. Only a 6.30am flight from Christchurch - which means a ~3.30/4am start.
There are some afternoon flights aren't there? (unless that's changed since I travelled to Sydney last month). But the timings as a whole are poor now for business travel. I would also like to see an evening departure from Chch (after regular work hours) so you can get to Sydney/Melbourne say 8pm, enough time to get to hotel and have a good night's sleep before starting work the next day.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:30 pm

There are some afternoon flights aren't there? (unless that's changed since I travelled to Sydney last month).
Think it's just temporary for ~Summer, regular schedule is typically 6am departure from chch, and 6pm departure from aus.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 10:23 pm

There are some afternoon flights aren't there? (unless that's changed since I travelled to Sydney last month). But the timings as a whole are poor now for business travel. I would also like to see an evening departure from Chch (after regular work hours) so you can get to Sydney/Melbourne say 8pm, enough time to get to hotel and have a good night's sleep before starting work the next day.
Doubt you will ever get an 6pm departure out of WLG or CHC as won't be able to get 2 returns in a day so not good utilisation out of the plane.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:11 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
NZ has prioritised cancelling domestic trunk services than those across the Tasman. Cancellation rates are very low for Tasman services but the cut in trunk domestic capacity is between 3-5%.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
NZ has prioritised cancelling domestic trunk services than those across the Tasman. Cancellation rates are very low for Tasman services but the cut in trunk domestic capacity is between 3-5%.
Depends on your definition of cancelled. TT flights just aren't scheduled.

WLG is running at less than 50% compared with 2019.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 4:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Domestic services aren't being cancelled to prioritise TT services - they are different aircraft. Domestic services using A320neo or short haul A321neo are pretty rare and are really only for the odd repositioning flight. Pre Covid there were a lot more positioning flights and Air NZ still had a number of the old A320R fleet that had been reallocated to domestic services.

Domestic services are being hampered due to the domestic A321neo fleet being parked up - I think the whole 4 are parked at up present and there has been no more than 1 of these operational at a time over the last 6 months or so as the engines have all been cannibalised to keep the short haul neo fleet operational.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.