Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Ouch! Unannounced $10 price rise for all domestic fares except Seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ouch! Unannounced $10 price rise for all domestic fares except Seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:19 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Really hope this doesn't encourage more people taking carryon only.

Feel ok about the flexi bumps but watching people come onto the plane some people are already taking the piss really hope they do something to ensure the overhead Tetris doesn't get worse.
But I'm not sure what they can do. They can stand at the gate and tell people off and hope they don't do it again but they can't really gate check bags because of the logistics of dealing with Avsec.

At least JQ can just have people at the gate with a credit card terminal and charge you $$ if your bag is too heavy!
Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
But I'm not sure what they can do. They can stand at the gate and tell people off and hope they don't do it again but they can't really gate check bags because of the logistics of dealing with Avsec.

At least JQ can just have people at the gate with a credit card terminal and charge you $$ if your bag is too heavy!
Just don't let the bag on the plane?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by prp343
Just don't let the bag on the plane?
And then what?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:14 pm

And then what?
Passenger modifies the weight of their bag, or leaves their bag, or doesn't take the flight. With increased visibility of rules relating to carry on luggage and intended enforcement of the rules it doesn't seem unreasonable.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by prp343
Passenger modifies the weight of their bag, or leaves their bag, or doesn't take the flight. With increased visibility of rules relating to carry on luggage and intended enforcement of the rules it doesn't seem unreasonable.
Seems compliance heavy, with increased resourcing needed….
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:02 am

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by 40love
Most annoying thing about the pricing model is that I don't check in any baggage on 95% of my flexirefund flights
Same. I would love the option for a less expensive flexirefund fare that doesn't include baggage (as I'm only ever doing flexirefund flights for work trips either day or overnight). I appreciate that will never happen, but it would be a nice option e.g. have a base seat only fare, then add ons such as flexirefund and/or baggage as needed.

I go light with the carry on - laptop, headphones, and a spare change of clothes in case I get stuck somewhere overnight or have some wardrobe malfunction that requires me to change ... such as a recent disaster in the Auckland domestic lounge where I had a shower and left my pair of light tan chinos folded up on the floor. Didn't notice that the shower was leaking out of the seal and pooling where my clothes happened to sit. Cue a very embarrassed me having to go back into the lounge wearing a dress shirt and pair of trackpants as that's what I had bought as emergency spare clothing.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:25 am

I always thought it was stupid too the way the flexi add-ons were marketed. IMHO they should have simply been two add-ons that could be added to a seat or a seat+bag fare.

With the number of people that now exploit them (and the money Air NZ makes from this) there is zero chance of that ever changing.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:05 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The pay bump for ramp staff probably needs funding by higher bag fees.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume the SP and $AP earn has not changed with the increased charges, so this effectively become a devaluation of Airpoints as well....
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:35 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I assume the SP and $AP earn has not changed with the increased charges, so this effectively become a devaluation of Airpoints as well....
Not just earn rates have been devalued but also burn rates when you redeem these increased fares. The stupid structure of the programme means whenever there is a fare increase, you get hit twice.
prp343 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 12:39 am

Ran into this unexpectedly just now.

Called to cancel first leg of a return flexirefund flight, was told they would put the booking into credit and rebook second flight at the same price.
Turns out same price is actually +$10 now, and they took the extra money from the credit.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:01 am

I noticed today the cheapest fares between WLG&AKL for months in advance are now $90 - which books into F class if you snag a $90 on the GAS site or X class if you snag a $90 on the Air NZ site.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

I noticed today the cheapest fares between WLG&AKL for months in advance are now $90 - which books into F class if you snag a $90 on the GAS site or X class if you snag a $90 on the Air NZ site.
For the same price paid, can someone please educate me if there is a difference between F or X?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 40love
For the same price paid, can someone please educate me if there is a difference between F or X?
F should have more restrictive conditions, and a lower $AP and SP earn than X.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
F should have lower $AP and SP earn than X.
Wow, so are you saying that you get less for the same price but it's on a website that implies you are getting a deal/bargain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.