Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown ANZ's Business Premier PREFERRED seat? (ex-Cathay Pacific B773 First)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone flown ANZ's Business Premier PREFERRED seat? (ex-Cathay Pacific B773 First)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS UA AA BA DL HY BV

These seats are only on Air New Zealand's IAH-AKL-MEL or -SYD flights using a former CX B773 metal, so only available twice weekly usually. A few questions:

- Is the paid upgrade (usually < $500 USD for IAH-AKL) worth the experience?
- can you get a discounted upgrade at the airport during check-in?
- I know it's the same Business Premier experience just in bigger First open suite, but anything else worth noting?

Thanks!

Last edited by LX039; Feb 15, 2024 at 5:01 pm
Old Feb 15, 2024, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by LX039
These seats are only on Air New Zealand's IAH-AKL-MEL or -SYD flights using a former CX B773 metal, so only available twice weekly usually. A few questions:

- Is the paid upgrade (usually < $500 USD for IAH-AKL) worth the experience?
- can you get a discounted upgrade at the airport during check-in?
- I know it's the same Business Premier experience just in bigger First open suite, but anything else worth noting?

Thanks!
2nd point no not cheaper at airport. Not even sure if offer it at airport. AirNZ is happy to fly with empty seats.
LX039 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
2nd point no not cheaper at airport. Not even sure if offer it at airport. AirNZ is happy to fly with empty seats.
Thanks for this!
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Thanks for this!
There is a thread here on this very topic. Have a look…

ZK-OKU mini report
LX039 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:39 pm

It's an amazing seat, I would absolutely say it's worth it
LX039 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I just went ahead and paid for the upgrade to seat 1K on upcoming IAH-AKL for ~$466USD. Can't wait…I did fly on CX first a couple years back SFO-HKG r/t and looking forward to revisiting.

Last edited by LX039; Feb 15, 2024 at 7:56 pm
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:03 pm

Programs: NZ*S, QFF, Accor Gold
Is 1A avail? 1K noted broken. Not sure if it’s fixed yet
Old Feb 16, 2024, 3:45 am

1A or 2A for sure if solo travelling - much more privacy - doubt upgrades will be offered at airport as the business premier seats seem to get snapped up well in advance especially on IAH routes
Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
If there are empty "preferred" seats and there are empty "standard" business seats, and there are upgrade pax (either points or certs) surely they would upgrade the paying status pax to the better seats rather than cert or comp into those?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by znsm
It's an amazing seat, I would absolutely say it's worth it
May have been amazing 10 years ago, but these days, it's not that impressive at all
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:40 pm

Programs: NZ*S, QFF, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
May have been amazing 10 years ago, but these days, it's not that impressive at all
Absolutely correct, but compared to ANZ metal’s usual BP it is a massive stepup (In my opinion) (sadly)
poopbunny likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ZKNHB
Absolutely correct, but compared to ANZ metal’s usual BP it is a massive stepup (In my opinion) (sadly)
True... the new BP seats are desperately needed!
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
If there are empty "preferred" seats and there are empty "standard" business seats, and there are upgrade pax (either points or certs) surely they would upgrade the paying status pax to the better seats rather than cert or comp into those?
I don’t think this is the approach taken with other preferred seats unless the cabin is full.

Remember, too, that cash pax and award pax should be indistinguishable (IMHO). Obviously the reports of upgrades pax being ‘un-upgraded’ following a downgauge of aircraft (say 77W to 789) shows AirNZ does track those pax and ranks them below the others.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Feb 22, 2024 at 12:17 pm
Old Feb 22, 2024, 1:30 pm

Thanks, I just went ahead and paid for the upgrade to seat 1K on upcoming IAH-AKL for ~$466USD. Can't wait…I did fly on CX first a couple years back SFO-HKG r/t and looking forward to revisiting.
When is your flight? I've been booked for an October IAH to AKL flight for a few months and mine continues to show $780 for the upgrade, all other posts I've seen that have referenced this show a much lower price point similar to the one you got.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 1:35 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I don’t think this is the approach taken with other preferred seats unless the cabin is full.

Remember, too, that cash pax and award pax should be indistinguishable (IMHO). Obviously the reports of upgrades pax being ‘un-upgraded’ following a downgauge of aircraft (say 77W to 789) shows AirNZ does track those pax and ranks them below the others.
I disagree that cash pax and upgrades should be indistinguishable. It makes sense for the airline to favour those who pay more.
Also, if I pay for J and my flight gets cancelled, is it fair or reasonable that I am rebooked onto a flight and made to sit in Y, while upgraded passengers are sitting in the J seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.