ZK-OKU mini report

Old Nov 20, 2023, 12:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,499
ZK-OKU mini report

Flew NZ106 tonight on ZK-OKU in Business. I would have paid the extra to sit in Preferred, for nostalgia (I flew a bit of CX F back in the day) but my RU cleared at checkin only (despite a final load of 20!!) and all of them were taken by that point. The J cabin is in pretty good nick except for some peeling fabric on the sides which is a problem CX also has on their 77W fleet because the adhesive supplier can no longer provide compliant adhesive. No curtain is drawn between BP and BPP and Id recommend going up to use the left hand toilet forward of door 1L as its larger and has a nicer sink (CXs old F lav).

No Inflight Bites or ability to lock movies so in Economy seat and seat+bag pax get free drinks, a free snack packet (cookie and popcorn which is supposedly a bit nicer than the ones you get on domestic) and free movies.

From conversations I overheard of pax chatting with crew the seat was received very favourably compared to the NZ layout, with one pax even commenting that the product bones looked brand new (! despite now being over 10 years old).

The only other event of note from the short flight was arriving to a new layout at AKL biosecurity which Ive posted about in the Oceania thread.
Thai-Kiwi and becks1 like this.
Top of climb is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:18 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 413
Originally Posted by Top of climb

The only other event of note from the short flight was arriving to a new layout at AKL biosecurity which Ive posted about in the Oceania thread.
I used this at 7am today. Literally 5mins from leaving the plane and out landslide! The agent slapped a yellow "EL" sticker on my passport (probably cos i did the NZTD online.
Top of climb and becks1 like this.
raznz is online now  
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:39 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: NZ GE, QF
Posts: 396
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Flew NZ106 tonight on ZK-OKU in Business. I would have paid the extra to sit in Preferred, for nostalgia (I flew a bit of CX F back in the day) but my RU cleared at checkin only (despite a final load of 20!!) and all of them were taken by that point. The J cabin is in pretty good nick except for some peeling fabric on the sides which is a problem CX also has on their 77W fleet because the adhesive supplier can no longer provide compliant adhesive. No curtain is drawn between BP and BPP and Id recommend going up to use the left hand toilet forward of door 1L as its larger and has a nicer sink (CXs old F lav).

No Inflight Bites or ability to lock movies so in Economy seat and seat+bag pax get free drinks, a free snack packet (cookie and popcorn which is supposedly a bit nicer than the ones you get on domestic) and free movies.

From conversations I overheard of pax chatting with crew the seat was received very favourably compared to the NZ layout, with one pax even commenting that the product bones looked brand new (! despite now being over 10 years old).

The only other event of note from the short flight was arriving to a new layout at AKL biosecurity which Ive posted about in the Oceania thread.
The preferred seats are huge, and very comfortable. Lots of space, and a personal locker for your bag. The table does well for dining together, although the NZ linen is a bit small for it.
The video screen is OK, and quite big. All in all a great experience.
edmm is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2023, 9:46 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 6,183
For many this is going to be their first introduction to a proper modern business class experience.

The fact this offering is arguably better than what Air NZ are going to introduce to their Dreamliner fleet from late 2024 - 2026 and still new offering the current BP up until 2028 on the 77W could ultimately drive customers elsewhere.

Word is there is a 2nd 77W that is about to be announced shortly.
Fliar, samjnz and becks1 like this.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2023, 11:43 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Posts: 2,514
I've got this A/C IAH-AKL in Jan - looking forward to either the F seat if its selected otherwise the CX J seat.
Rebound is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2023, 2:52 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: NZ *E
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by sbiddle
For many this is going to be their first introduction to a proper modern business class experience.

The fact this offering is arguably better than what Air NZ are going to introduce to their Dreamliner fleet from late 2024 - 2026 and still new offering the current BP up until 2028 on the 77W could ultimately drive customers elsewhere.

Word is there is a 2nd 77W that is about to be announced shortly.
And for the existing 77W fleet, given how things are often delayed its really going to be 2030.

I dont understand the airlines strategy these days all the changes they are making are flashy/inconsequential (eg uniforms, coffee cups), while brushing all the real problems under the rug (on hold times, seats).

Even the new BP catering was a flashy announcement that was ultimately a step backward.
samjnz is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2023, 8:22 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Auckland NZ
Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Posts: 751
Having flown this AKL x/HKG JFK a few years ago (had AS points to burn) wouldn't mind it at all. But still think the sleep is a bit better on NZ metal in J
jawnbc is offline  
Old Nov 24, 2023, 4:49 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Frensham, Lincolnshire
Programs: RFC
Posts: 5,172
Originally Posted by samjnz
I dont understand the airlines strategy these days all the changes they are making are flashy/inconsequential (eg uniforms, coffee cups), while brushing all the real problems under the rug (on hold times, seats).
Oh, I can answer that one and it's very simple: NZ is dominated by people with New Zealand accounting and marketing degrees. They genuinely think that cost control (because it makes cashflow look good, and therefor they are "successful") and slick "touch point" changes will keep customers happy. They genuinely don't understand what long term planning or customer service is. It's the same reason they perform so poorly on training overall and IRROPs performance in particular: training is an expense for NZ, not a business leverage point.

NZ is a fascinating case study in being a very slick image-focussed, quarterly cashflow-controlled business, that is also a very poorly managed business on every factor beyond image and cashflow.
JamesBigglesworth is offline  
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:20 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 21,146
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
<snip>
NZ is a fascinating case study in being a very slick image-focussed, quarterly cashflow-controlled business, that is also a very poorly managed business on every factor beyond image and cashflow.
As are USA retail business's.
Airlines are more a long term business. Some folks book (~pay) months ahead. Not like selling baked beans/laundry powder in a USA retail operation.
racekp likes this.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2023, 12:47 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 983
The next CX 77W for NZ will have a different seat map again.
CHCflyer is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2023, 3:37 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,499
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
The next CX 77W for NZ will have a different seat map again.
CX's ex-three class (no First) configuration, no doubt. 40J 32W 296Y
Top of climb is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2023, 4:17 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand
Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
Posts: 129
I was unable to select Business Preferred seating online within T-48 hours. Phoned AirNZ and was told that the only way to select these seats was by payment ($150 for Trans-Tasman flights). Will be slumming it in 12A, but will make a point of using the front bathrooms!
SilverTP is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:03 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: Air New Zealand
Posts: 79
I was able to seat select these "Business Preferred" seats for $105 for an April flight.
MrLovebucket likes this.
kryptonjohn is offline  
Old Dec 10, 2023, 2:38 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MSP
Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Posts: 1,778
Be interesting to see if airport/lounge agents would move you to the old F seats at no cost if theyre still available and you ask politely.
NZ_Flyer is offline  
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:11 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 12
Short report from the long haul, we sat in row 2: Masses of seats in normal business class inop(mostly bed function or IFE), seat 1D is also defective in first class. On the AKL-IAH flight, seat 1K remained unoccupied, although passengers asked for it at the gate (but did not want to pay). Otherwise pretty rocked down and only medium experience. Remote control not usable, only touch function of the screen available.Seats well sagged, but sleeping was good with mattress topper. The main problem with NZ28 is the constant delay in ground handling in AKL. We also took off almost 2 hours late because the security check in the aircraft before boarding took forever.
FunParkBernd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.