Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ZK-OKU mini report

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2023, 12:15 am
Original Poster

ZK-OKU mini report

Flew NZ106 tonight on ZK-OKU in Business. I would have paid the extra to sit in Preferred, for nostalgia (I flew a bit of CX F back in the day) but my RU cleared at checkin only (despite a final load of 20!!) and all of them were taken by that point. The J cabin is in pretty good nick except for some peeling fabric on the sides which is a problem CX also has on their 77W fleet because the adhesive supplier can no longer provide compliant adhesive. No curtain is drawn between BP and BPP and I’d recommend going up to use the left hand toilet forward of door 1L as it’s larger and has a nicer sink (CX’s old F lav).

No Inflight Bites or ability to lock movies so in Economy seat and seat+bag pax get free drinks, a free snack packet (cookie and popcorn which is supposedly a “bit nicer than the ones you get on domestic”) and free movies.

From conversations I overheard of pax chatting with crew the seat was received very favourably compared to the NZ layout, with one pax even commenting that the product bones looked brand new (! despite now being over 10 years old).

The only other event of note from the short flight was arriving to a new layout at AKL biosecurity which I’ve posted about in the Oceania thread.
Thai-Kiwi and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Top of climb

The only other event of note from the short flight was arriving to a new layout at AKL biosecurity which I’ve posted about in the Oceania thread.
I used this at 7am today. Literally 5mins from leaving the plane and out landslide! The agent slapped a yellow "EL" sticker on my passport (probably cos i did the NZTD online.
Top of climb and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:39 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Flew NZ106 tonight on ZK-OKU in Business. I would have paid the extra to sit in Preferred, for nostalgia (I flew a bit of CX F back in the day) but my RU cleared at checkin only (despite a final load of 20!!) and all of them were taken by that point. The J cabin is in pretty good nick except for some peeling fabric on the sides which is a problem CX also has on their 77W fleet because the adhesive supplier can no longer provide compliant adhesive. No curtain is drawn between BP and BPP and I’d recommend going up to use the left hand toilet forward of door 1L as it’s larger and has a nicer sink (CX’s old F lav).

No Inflight Bites or ability to lock movies so in Economy seat and seat+bag pax get free drinks, a free snack packet (cookie and popcorn which is supposedly a “bit nicer than the ones you get on domestic”) and free movies.

From conversations I overheard of pax chatting with crew the seat was received very favourably compared to the NZ layout, with one pax even commenting that the product bones looked brand new (! despite now being over 10 years old).

The preferred seats are huge, and very comfortable. Lots of space, and a personal locker for your bag. The table does well for dining together, although the NZ linen is a bit small for it.
The video screen is OK, and quite big. All in all a great experience.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
For many this is going to be their first introduction to a proper modern business class experience.

The fact this offering is arguably better than what Air NZ are going to introduce to their Dreamliner fleet from late 2024 - 2026 and still new offering the current BP up until 2028 on the 77W could ultimately drive customers elsewhere.

Word is there is a 2nd 77W that is about to be announced shortly.
Fliar, samjnz and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I've got this A/C IAH-AKL in Jan - looking forward to either the F seat if its selected otherwise the CX J seat.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by sbiddle
For many this is going to be their first introduction to a proper modern business class experience.

The fact this offering is arguably better than what Air NZ are going to introduce to their Dreamliner fleet from late 2024 - 2026 and still new offering the current BP up until 2028 on the 77W could ultimately drive customers elsewhere.

Word is there is a 2nd 77W that is about to be announced shortly.
And for the existing 77W fleet, given how things are often delayed it’s really going to be 2030.

I don’t understand the airlines strategy these days — all the changes they are making are flashy/inconsequential (eg uniforms, coffee cups), while brushing all the real problems under the rug (on hold times, seats).

Even the new BP catering was a flashy announcement that was ultimately a step backward.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Having flown this AKL x/HKG JFK a few years ago (had AS points to burn) wouldn't mind it at all. But still think the sleep is a bit better on NZ metal in J
Old Nov 24, 2023, 4:49 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by samjnz
I don’t understand the airlines strategy these days — all the changes they are making are flashy/inconsequential (eg uniforms, coffee cups), while brushing all the real problems under the rug (on hold times, seats).
Oh, I can answer that one and it's very simple: NZ is dominated by people with New Zealand accounting and marketing degrees. They genuinely think that cost control (because it makes cashflow look good, and therefor they are "successful") and slick "touch point" changes will keep customers happy. They genuinely don't understand what long term planning or customer service is. It's the same reason they perform so poorly on training overall and IRROPs performance in particular: training is an expense for NZ, not a business leverage point.

NZ is a fascinating case study in being a very slick image-focussed, quarterly cashflow-controlled business, that is also a very poorly managed business on every factor beyond image and cashflow.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
<snip>
NZ is a fascinating case study in being a very slick image-focussed, quarterly cashflow-controlled business, that is also a very poorly managed business on every factor beyond image and cashflow.
As are USA retail business's.
Airlines are more a long term business. Some folks book (~pay) months ahead. Not like selling baked beans/laundry powder in a USA retail operation.
racekp likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The next CX 77W for NZ will have a different seat map again.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
The next CX 77W for NZ will have a different seat map again.
CX's ex-three class (no First) configuration, no doubt. 40J 32W 296Y
Old Nov 26, 2023, 4:17 pm

Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
I was unable to select Business Preferred seating online within T-48 hours. Phoned AirNZ and was told that the only way to select these seats was by payment ($150 for Trans-Tasman flights). Will be slumming it in 12A, but will make a point of using the front bathrooms!
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
I was able to seat select these "Business Preferred" seats for $105 for an April flight.
MrLovebucket likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Be interesting to see if airport/lounge agents would move you to the old F seats at no cost if they’re still available and you ask politely.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:11 pm

Short report from the long haul, we sat in row 2: Masses of seats in normal business class inop(mostly bed function or IFE), seat 1D is also defective in first class. On the AKL-IAH flight, seat 1K remained unoccupied, although passengers asked for it at the gate (but did not want to pay). Otherwise pretty rocked down and only medium experience. Remote control not usable, only touch function of the screen available.Seats well sagged, but sleeping was good with mattress topper. The main problem with NZ28 is the constant delay in ground handling in AKL. We also took off almost 2 hours late because the security check in the aircraft before boarding took forever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.