Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

ANZ flight to UK. Transit time query in US airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Sorry if wrong Thread.
My brother has to bring his ANZ easter flights to the UK forward to this week as our mum has been admitted to hospital in the UK.
He has been offered the option to fly out this Thursday
DEPART 15/2/24
ANZ - AKL-JFK arr 5pm
3:15 hour transit then
dep 20:15 on BA JFK-LGW

and returning 3/3/2024
BA LHR-LAX arr 18:30
2:10 transit
dep 20:40 ANZ LAX-AKL
He is flying economy and travelling on NZ passport.
He is on one ticket. Are these transit times doable? Are ANZ are responsible for rescheduling if he misses the next flight?
Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2024, 8:52 pm

Programs: NZ*S, QFF, Accor Gold
Yes. Especially if ANZ offered to you. Their problem if you miss connection
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With a delayed flight the late arriving airline has to fix. So Air NZ at JFK and BA at LAX on the return.

Assume your brother has the necessary USA etsa.
Has he done a USA airport transfer before? USA does not have the concept of airside transit.
USA airport processing time https://awt.cbp.gov/
Worth looking at which terminal he arrives/departs so has a rough idea of where to go at each airport

Hope all goes well with trip.
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

He has his ETSA sorted.
He hasn't transferred US before. Ive done it once. when on ANZ001. Bit easier when the airline helps you get through quicker. He knows no transit area.

For Outward looks like JFK Terminal 1>8
Return Looks like LAX Terminal B for both BA and ANZ
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:57 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Also note that if travelling with checked luggage he will have to pick it up, pass through customs then drop off after customs (or re-check, if not checked through),
Old Feb 12, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
3.15 should be fine.
2.10 will cutting it close.
its quicker without checked luggage but provided by no delay with it getting off the plane it is only 5 mins.extra.

LAX is very variable. CBP can be 10 mins or 2 hrs and ditto for TSA. I remain surprised they sell connections under 3 hrs.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
The published MCT at LAX for “Int-Int” is 2:00. AirNZ does have a nasty habit of offering flights with minimum connections. I sometimes need to go to multi-city to try and manually get a less rushed connection - although sometimes this results in much higher fare pricing.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Last time I did a connection in LAX I think we had 3hrs and made it to the gate for the 2nd flight just as boarding had commenced (in fairness we spent about 10 minutes fluffing in duty free on the way there ... not my choice).

I have some travel to UK upcoming and it's the misery of "transiting" through USA that really puts me off booking (no matter how good the deal is). I'd probably do it if the connection was 4+ hrs, but even then the whole process is unpleasant.

I think for the 3hr connection it will be fine. For the 2hr it's going to depend very much on queue times I'd say.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:36 pm

Any chance they can route him via YVR? Looks like connection times are good both ways and a lot easier to transit through as luggage would be checked through and only a cursory Immigration check for INT --> INT connections
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Any chance they can route him via YVR? Looks like connection times are good both ways and a lot easier to transit through as luggage would be checked through and only a cursory Immigration check for INT --> INT connections

Transiting through YVR is 100% more pleasant than transiting through LAX. And the YVR airport is quite pleasant, even if the lounge isn't as good as in LAX.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by SeaProf
Transiting through YVR is 100% more pleasant than transiting through LAX. And the YVR airport is quite pleasant, even if the lounge isn't as good as in LAX.
100%

However OP's brother is travelling in Y Unless they have *G they would not get lounge access.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Update: He ended up getting flights leaving tomorrow now. Both legs transfer at LAX with a 4hr connection outbound and 3hr 45min connection on the way home so plenty time now.

Thanks for your input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.