Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International bag drop times

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

International bag drop times

Planning a south east Asia trip for the end of the year. Will book return flights to SIN with NZ.

Only issue is that my return flight to SIN with Bangkok airways arrives in SIN two hours before my departure time to AKL. It seems tight but I want to avoid spending 24 hours in SIN. Have tried to readjust travel another way but all other options include an additional flight which I don’t want.

NZ don’t have baggage transfer agreement with Bangkok and NZ call centre staff not too helpful on confirming bag drop cutoff from SIN. I’ll be flying PE (hope to RU to J). If I check in on line will bag drop likely be accepted 60 mins prior to departure or am I cutting it too fine?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by JJSWLG
Planning a south east Asia trip for the end of the year. Will book return flights to SIN with NZ.

Only issue is that my return flight to SIN with Bangkok airways arrives in SIN two hours before my departure time to AKL. It seems tight but I want to avoid spending 24 hours in SIN. Have tried to readjust travel another way but all other options include an additional flight which I don’t want.

NZ don’t have baggage transfer agreement with Bangkok and NZ call centre staff not too helpful on confirming bag drop cutoff from SIN. I’ll be flying PE (hope to RU to J). If I check in on line will bag drop likely be accepted 60 mins prior to departure or am I cutting it too fine?
I think the timing is too fine in my opinion with checked luggage. What is your Plan B if the PG flight to SIN is delayed for some reason? NZ sure won't help you as you'll be a no-show for check-in at SIN where they are expecting to to originate.

ExpertFlyer confirms no interline between PG and NZ - which kinda surprised me. So you'd need to enter Singapore and collect your bags, then check-in again. Even at the relatively efficient Changi, I couldn't be bothered with this run-around... It could be doable if everything runs to schedule, but if not...?

Have you considered an open-jaw flying AKL-SIN and return BKK-SIN-AKL ? That would mean you'd be protected if the BKK-SIN has any issues and removes the risk of holding separate tickets. Alternatively, take one of the multitude of earlier flights on SQ/TG and others...

We booked something similar and return just last month (WLG-AKL-SIN-SGN // BKK-SIN-AKL-WLG) using the multi-city tool.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Feb 11, 2024 at 7:30 pm
Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I think the timing is too fine in my opinion with checked luggage. ExpertFlyer confirms no interline between PG and NZ - which kinda surprised me.

Have you considered an open-jaw flying AKL-SIN and return BKK-SIN-AKL ? That would mean you'd be protected if the BKK-SIN has any issues and removes the risk of holding separate tickets.

We booked something similar and return just last month (WLG-AKL-SIN-SGN // BKK-SIN-AKL-WLG) using the multi-city tool.
Thanks - sorry should have clarified am flight out of Ko Samui to SIN and there are only two direct flights, both in the afternoon. Looks like I’ll need to go USM-BKK-SIN or if I want to miss out the BKK flight stay overnight near Changi. Damn
Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by JJSWLG
Thanks - sorry should have clarified am flight out of Ko Samui to SIN and there are only two direct flights, both in the afternoon. Looks like I’ll need to go USM-BKK-SIN or if I want to miss out the BKK flight stay overnight near Changi. Damn
Yeah, we had to overnight in 'Sillypore' outbound to SGN as there were no valid same day connections on SQ. Stayed at Grand Mercure Roxy on East Coast Parkways (1/2 between Changi and CBD) for $210 per room - pretty reasonable IMHO. At least teh food options were good!

Some pretty good options USM-BKK-SIN, although I'd just buy USM-BKK on PG, with a decent gap at Bangkok to then take my return BKK-SIN-AKL on TG/SQ-NZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.