Wiki Posts
Search

Gifted RU question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ GE, Marriot Platinum
Gifted RU question

I've never gifted, or been given an RU so don't know exactly how they work in terms of expiry.

If I happen to hold unused RU near the end of my Elite anniversary, I believe these dissappear and get replaced by two new ones so long as I retain Elite.

However, if I gift an unused RU to another member at month 11, does the giftee have just one month to use it or lose it? Or does the expiry date on the gifted RU somehow extend based on the new person's annual cycle? Could they somehow gift it back?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ GE, Marriot Platinum
Or does a gifted RU have to be applied to a booking and not something another person can hold to be used as they please?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:53 pm

It has to be gifted to an existing booking.

Works in same way as expiry on your own ones when applying to future flights.
MrLovebucket likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Basically a gifted RU needs to be lodged before the status renewal, just the same as for when you lodge for yourself.

The lodgement can be for a date after renewal date, but if it fails then it’ll be lost.
MrLovebucket likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.