Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Booking via NZ (for APD burn) but flying SQ (for routing) - tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:17 am
Original Poster

We often book SQ (booking direct) for flights NZ - Europe, but now would like to book via AirNZ in order to burn some APD (for the kids flights). Looking for some advice on how to maximise SP earn (for the adults), pitfalls to avoid etc. Preference is for SQ flights in and out of CHC, but I know if we went via AKL we would have choice of AirNZ or SQ metal. Going via AKL might be ok if there are some clear benefits - which would have to trump direct flights ex CHC. I think we have to book via AirNZ in order to burn APD on the flights - and therefore use the (awkward and slow) multi-stop itinerary? From a search around it seems like there might be some tricks (or clear "don't do") that people might know and be able to share.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:51 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
You never used to be able to pay for mixed-airline itineraries on the NZ website (or any channel) with APD. You used to have to go through the Star Award process to do that. Has something changed? I seldom use my APD apart from Elite UGs so am not on top of any changes if any have been made.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
You never used to be able to pay for mixed-airline itineraries on the NZ website (or any channel) with APD. You used to have to go through the Star Award process to do that. Has something changed? I seldom use my APD apart from Elite UGs so am not on top of any changes if any have been made.
Yes it looks like you can pay with APD (apart from taxes). E.g. pricing up SQ - SQ // SQ - NZ - NZ gives options to pay with APD. This is via the website - and for priced flights. The Star Award process shows no SQ flights for the same dates (through NZ or other *A carriers). I'm not sure if this has changed - first time for me, we used to be earn non NZ points.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:40 am

It must have changed at some point then (maybe someone on here could provide clarity).

Previously, if you went on the Air NZ site and booked say AKL (NZ) SIN (NZ/SQ) LHR you were unable to use APD. You could only use card/poli etc. APD as form of payment was not permitted on market fare multi-airline itineraries (apart from the odd one like NZ/VA and possibly NZ/CX between NZ/HKG only). These had to be purchased as award fares.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:19 am

also if it helps cos just did this for family for a trip to Europe: you can call up to separate out the APD to be used on specific person(s) that way you can have the normal fare ticket for full SP earn (aka pay for kids with APD, and pay cash for your own ticket) and still be on the same PNR.

regarding mixed-airlines itineraries and APD = doable, above is NZ > BR, and i've also used APD to part-pay for a NZ>KL intinierary
jimmyah likes this.

Last edited by raznz; Feb 8, 2024 at 5:27 am
Old Feb 8, 2024, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by raznz
also if it helps cos just did this for family for a trip to Europe: you can call up to separate out the APD to be used on specific person(s) that way you can have the normal fare ticket for full SP earn (aka pay for kids with APD, and pay cash for your own ticket) and still be on the same PNR.
You've been able to do this for well over a decade. The best part is that provided at least one passenger is paying by APD, then the credit card fee is waived for all others on the same PNR.

regarding mixed-airlines itineraries and APD = doable, above is NZ > BR, and i've also used APD to part-pay for a NZ>KL intinierary
Good to know. Must be a somewhat recent change then. Finally an "enhancement" that actually is one!

Last edited by LyingFlat; Feb 8, 2024 at 2:46 pm
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:11 pm

also if it helps cos just did this for family for a trip to Europe: you can call up to separate out the APD to be used on specific person(s)
Looks like you can also do this online?

There's check boxes for which passengers you want to pay with APD
Old Feb 8, 2024, 7:00 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Things must have changed. You used to be only able to pay with APD on NZ metal and some qualifying partner flights such as CX to HKG and UA to SFO.

Just did a dummy booking and now it seems that anything for sale on the NZ site is eligible to pay with APD even on non-Star flights such as Air Calin, or mixed intinerary including flights on BA. Basically you can now use APD like cash.

It's an improvement but I worry this will be a further departure from a traditional FFP that allows members to redeem X, I booking classes where the real values are.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the details, and as outlined this is all now possible.
Booked entirely online, mixed NZ/SQ flights, some passengers with APD and some paying cash. Seemed to work ok, although the multi-stop itinerary seems "quirky" especially with pricing.
I won't get as much earn on SQ flights, but in this case the convenience should make up for it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.