Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status boost count

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Status boost count

Hey everyone, I booked my trip from IVC to AKL with 2 stops ( IVC - CHC - WEL - AKL ) hoping to get 3 segments toward 15 bonus SP.

but not sure if all segments are going to be counted.

Web version shows 12 SP for entire trip

and mobile app shows all points in my first leg

no SP (and APD) in the next two segments.

any chances that I get 3 flights counted?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:36 am

Programs: NZ*GE, Accor Diamond
Unfortunately you'll likely only get the two flights towards your SP boost.

In my experience, if the flight doesn't show as giving you SP in the app, then it doesn't count towards your total.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Hmmm. A G class ‘one-way’ fare S+B with 2 segments IVC-CHC-AKL prices out at $162, and earns 12 SP and 4 $AP. Noting that AirNZ uses the journey concept, then the earn is the same whether direct or via intermediate stops. This seems to be what is happening here.

Only if there is a change of direction (eg WLG-AKL-NPE) does the system ‘break free’ of the journey definition.

Status Boost is is defined by journey, not by sectors:

When you complete 10 Journeys with Air New Zealand, we give you a Frequent Flyer Status Boost as a thank you. This bonus is exclusive to Airpoints™ Elite and Gold members.

We will calculate the Airpoints Dollars and Status Points you earn on Air NZ Operated Flights for domestic and international Sectors using the Origin to Destination One-Way Journey and the Booking Class of travel for the Sector in which you have travelled the greatest distance (we will apply this earning rate to all Sectors of your Journey that are "Eligible Flights").

If you hold two or more Tickets for different Sectors of your Journey, we will still apply the same Origin to Destination One-Way Journey and earning rate calculations to all Sectors of your Journey (as set out above that are "Eligible Flights").

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jan 15, 2024 at 1:01 am
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:16 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Theoretically you should only get 1 from that since all 3 flights are same day so become a single journey.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: NZ ELT, QR SIL
I have taken the same flights (early 2023) and can confirm you will only receive one status boost journey for the IVC-CHC-WLG-AKL routing.

It is a bit rough for regional based FF's - but those are the rules.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:08 pm

Left-field thinking, but if you exploit the same loophole for maximising regional earnings, and credit CHC-WLG to another milage programme, would you get a IVC-CHC credit and a WLG-AKL credit? And thus these would count as two journeys?
And you might also end up with higher overall earning too.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akl_cat
Left-field thinking, but if you exploit the same loophole for maximising regional earnings, and credit CHC-WLG to another milage programme, would you get a IVC-CHC credit and a WLG-AKL credit? And thus these would count as two journeys?
And you might also end up with higher overall earning too.
AirNZ staff would need to be willing to change ff# at CHC, and then change it back at WLG.
I am not sure the juice is worth the squeeze…
akl_cat likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AirNZ states that I have 6/10 Status Boost journeys since re-qualifying as Gold Elite on 28 Oct. I have been reviewing in detail my activities since 01 Nov until today, and there are indeed 6 AirNZ flights that meet the criteria, but I had though it would be 7 - read on......

We also flew SIN-SGN NZ3456 (SQ977), which mostly meets the criteria stated:
If your Journey is with Air New Zealand or an Air New Zealand flight number and ticketed booking on a Qualifying Partner Airline Flight, and earns Status Points, it will count towards your Frequent Flyer Status Boost.

However, a Qualifying Partner Airline flight has a very narrow definition and excludes SQ:
Airpoints members are able to earn both Airpoints Dollars™ and Status Points at Air New Zealand flight rates with the qualifying partner airlines below. Travel must be on an Air New Zealand flight number.

Elite members may also travel on these flights to earn Status Points which count towards the Air New Zealand travel component of Elite membership. And for our Elite and Gold members eligible travel on these flights will be counted towards your Frequent Flyer Status Boost.

Use our Airpoints calculator to see how many potential Airpoints Dollars and Status Points you could earn.

Refer to each of the below partner airline pages for detail on which booking classes qualify to earn Airpoints Dollars and Status Points.
  • Cathay Pacific on flights between Auckland or Christchurch and Hong Kong
  • United on flights between Auckland and San Francisco
  • Air China on flights between Auckland and Beijing
I'd semi-counted on SIN-SGN counting as a status boost sector given the NZ codeshare flight number and SP earn, and also as I have a 3-sector AirNZ trip coming up which would have meant 7+3 =10. Oh well.......
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
AirNZ states that I have 6/10 Status Boost journeys since re-qualifying as Gold Elite on 28 Oct. I have been reviewing in detail my activities since 01 Nov until today, and there are indeed 6 AirNZ flights that meet the criteria, but I had though it would be 7 - read on......

We also flew SIN-SGN NZ3456 (SQ977), which mostly meets the criteria stated:

However, a Qualifying Partner Airline flight has a very narrow definition and excludes SQ:

I'd semi-counted on SIN-SGN counting as a status boost sector given the NZ codeshare flight number and SP earn, and also as I have a 3-sector AirNZ trip coming up which would have meant 7+3 =10. Oh well.......
It is a little inconsistent as I think a LAS-LAX UA flight counted for me.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzkarit
It is a little inconsistent as I think a LAS-LAX UA flight counted for me.
But at least on UA. I was thinking about querying my SQ sector, but frankly it won't be with the effort.

I have a much bigger question to wrestle with, which essentially is that I have 531 RollOver SPs (all NZ) then a stack on TG. My forecast at year's end is that I'll have:

739 NZ SP earn
490 TG/SQ earn
481 CCrd SP earn
1710 Total SP earn
531 Rollover from last qual year (all AirNZ) - but can't count towards banked year
2241 Final Total Sp earn (1270 AirNZ)
891 SP Rollover (460 AirNZ) for next re-qualification

So, no chance of a banked year. I could pretty much stop accruing to AirNZ now (need another 80) and put my TG flights elsewhere, but that won't be enough to get me to TG*G by Dec this year.

I guess the rollovers are helping continue maintain Gold Elite - just a darn shame that can't be counted towards a Banked Year......

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jan 27, 2024 at 11:08 pm
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
But at least on UA. I was thinking about querying my SQ sector, but frankly it won't be with the effort.

I have a much bigger question to wrestle with, which essentially is that I have 531 RollOver SPs (all NZ) then a stack on TG. My forecast at year's end is that I'll have:

739 NZ SP earn
490 TG/SQ earn
481 CCrd SP earn
1710 Total SP earn
531 Rollover from last qual year (all AirNZ) - but can't count towards banked year
2241 Final Total Sp earn (1270 AirNZ)
891 SP Rollover (460 AirNZ) for next re-qualification

So, no chance of a banked year. I could pretty much stop accruing to AirNZ now (need another 80) and put my TG flights elsewhere, but that won't be enough to get me to TG*G by Dec this year.

I guess the rollovers are helping continue maintain Gold Elite - just a darn shame that can't be counted towards a Banked Year......
Rollover from last year won't count towards rollover this year. So I expect you'll get 360 SP (1710-1350) if requalifying elite this member year or 210 SP (1710-1500) if 1st time elite, towards next year with nil counting as NZ earn.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Rollover from last year won't count towards rollover this year. So I expect you'll get 360 SP (1710-1350) if requalifying elite this member year or 210 SP (1710-1500) if 1st time elite, towards next year with nil counting as NZ earn.
Thanks, I think. Is there no good news?! Someone recommended pushing for a banked year, and that seems in retrospect to have great advice (but not taken!)

I may as well aim for the barest Elite re-qualification and credit the rest elsewhere (almost certainly TG).

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jan 30, 2024 at 4:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.