Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Banked year

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, NZ*E, LT AA Plat, LT Bonvoy Plat + countless others
Elite Banked year

So i'm not entirely clear on the operation of the banked year.

I requalified foe Elite and circa. 100 SP short of my first banked year. I'm not clear on what, if any, are the rules for how the SPs re earned. I called Air NZ today to ask about this since my credit card SPs were not progressing the counter, and was told:
  • The balance I need needs to come from Air NZ or star alliance flights before my next anniversary (next Feb)
  • That I can accrue multiple banked years in a qualification period
It's not clear from the Air NZ website that the above is correct or required - any commentary from folks here.

As a side note, I waited a little over an hour for a callback and the agent that called said she was in a general queue (she needed to call another department to get answers).
Old Jun 28, 2023, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Gekko
So i'm not entirely clear on the operation of the banked year.

I requalified foe Elite and circa. 100 SP short of my first banked year. I'm not clear on what, if any, are the rules for how the SPs re earned. I called Air NZ today to ask about this since my credit card SPs were not progressing the counter, and was told:
  • The balance I need needs to come from Air NZ or star alliance flights before my next anniversary (next Feb)
  • That I can accrue multiple banked years in a qualification period
It's not clear from the Air NZ website that the above is correct or required - any commentary from folks here.

As a side note, I waited a little over an hour for a callback and the agent that called said she was in a general queue (she needed to call another department to get answers).
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/elite-benefits

What part is unclear?

Elite banked year

If you earn more than 2,400 Status Points (1,400 Status Points must be earned on Air New Zealand operated flights) since your last requalification date, you will automatically receive a complimentary banked year at Elite Tier Status to use in the future, instead of receiving roll over Status Points.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 3:53 am
Original Poster

The bit where the website counter doesn't tell you how much you need to earn from which source (which it does when you are on the way to qualification) AND why the website implies you can only bank one year, but the agent said I could bank many in a single qualification year.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Gekko
The bit where the website counter doesn't tell you how much you need to earn from which source (which it does when you are on the way to qualification) AND why the website implies you can only bank one year, but the agent said I could bank many in a single qualification year.
They counter not counting when hit max no metal SP has been mentioned in another thread somewhere. Can't remember what air NZ said they would do. But most people who pay attention to SP are tracking in spreadsheets as people mostly care about the projection.

Where does it say can only get one banked year?
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Where does it say can only get one banked year?
It doesn't. But neither does it say something like "For every 2,400 Status Points (1,400 Status Points must be earned on Air New Zealand operated flights) you earn you will receive an additional banked year".

I'm assuming by your reply that this is indeed the case? I have already booked multiple J trips to Europe with Qatar since it was unclear what value there was in overpaying for the NZ product...
Old Jun 28, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
You used to be able to earn multiple banked years. However, it is now capped at one after some members flew so much they ended up with loads. I personally know about 10 people who have 15+ banked years (including 3 or 4 who have 25+).

The way now (AFAIK) to get multiple banked years is through Elite threshold gifts. I don't think they're available at the 3000SP gift but I think there is one at either the 5000SP or 7500SP ones.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
You used to be able to earn multiple banked years. However, it is now capped at one after some members flew so much they ended up with loads. I personally know about 10 people who have 15+ banked years (including 3 or 4 who have 25+).
What a wonderful problem for NZ to have. Customers who spend so much money with you that they bank umpteen years.
When said customers retire or slow their travel spend, they will keep returning to NZ to spend money on tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.