Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Step on the scales

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2023, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
You missed fuel & freight, both variables.
And Food, Glasses, Cutlery, etc which given what they said seems like that isn't routinely measured.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:53 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
You missed fuel & freight, both variables.
Originally Posted by nzkarit
And Food, Glasses, Cutlery, etc which given what they said seems like that isn't routinely measured.
Load the freight and fuel and food, etc, AFTER you load the passengers. Or before. I don't care. Those are easily known.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Load the freight and fuel and food, etc, AFTER you load the passengers. Or before. I don't care. Those are easily known.
And does your solution meet CAA regs & align with international standards?

And weighing a aircraft is not an easy thing. Most probably faster to weigh the pax. Weighing a plane is using done in a hanger and requires some expensive load cells that deal with 100s of tons.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:45 pm

And does your solution meet CAA regs & align with international standards?

And weighing a aircraft is not an easy thing. Most probably faster to weigh the pax. Weighing a plane is using done in a hanger and requires some expensive load cells that deal with 100s of tons.
Random police weigh trucks on the side of the road all the time, can't be that hard, albeit may require some upfront setup and expense.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by prp343
Random police weigh trucks on the side of the road all the time, can't be that hard, albeit may require some upfront setup and expense.
And planes are an order of magnitude or more heavier.

Having watch videos etc of weighing aircraft it is a slow process. Generally only happens have a refit or paint.

Doesn't happen regularly enough for each stand to have weigh bridge. And would cost too much.

For cost, ease of use, not affecting schedule weighing pax at the gate and stuff in catering trucks is by far the best business decision and align with CAA requirements and international best practice.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 5:16 pm

And planes are an order of magnitude or more heavier.

Having watch videos etc of weighing aircraft it is a slow process. Generally only happens have a refit or paint.

Doesn't happen regularly enough for each stand to have weigh bridge. And would cost too much.

For cost, ease of use, not affecting schedule weighing pax at the gate and stuff in catering trucks is by far the best business decision and align with CAA requirements and international best practice.
Okay
Old Jun 13, 2023, 5:13 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
No wide body shaming, please.
debh and prp343 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
No wide body shaming, please.
Given this is a forum about aviation, wide bodies are preferable to narrow bodies.

With regard to the topic at hand, weight and balance is mission critical in aviation.
Each aircraft has it's own unique W&B chart. The basic criteria being MTOW, MLW and balance. Balance relates to fore and aft of the fulcrum.
Fly enough Dash 8 flights and you will see a pax count broken into W&B zones. Often people are moved from the front to the back.

Having accurate data is critical to W&B averages per route.
Flights to and from the Pacific Islands have heavier passengers than say to and from North America.
Here in Western Canada, flights to and from Prince George and Fort St John (oil and gas) have heavier (burly men are a thing) than say flights between Vancouver and Toronto.
Knowing this data is vital for flight planning purposes. Weight and Balance is effected, heavier loads require more fuel which in turn adds to weight.

No one is looking to shame anyone, just to keep the aircraft flying safely.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by taupo
Given this is a forum about aviation, wide bodies are preferable to narrow bodies.

No one is looking to shame anyone, just to keep the aircraft flying safely.
I rather thought Out of my Element‘s comment was a sleek double entendre, but seems you’ve only looked at the shame-fuelled single engine version…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.