Step on the scales

Old May 30, 2023, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Step on the scales

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travel-alerts

Brilliant idea to build current statistical information for passenger mass (pax plus bags) in relation to each route that NZ flies.
Old May 30, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Oh you mean it's not all bad like the idiots over at Stuff think it is?!
JNZ and yourethegoose like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Oh you mean it's not all bad like the idiots over at Stuff think it is?!
I hadn't see that. https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...Pos=0#cxrecs_s
Quite the comments!
No doubt some Karens and Kevins will take offence.

A rudimentary understanding of physics, particularly applied to weight would help the Stuff crowd.
If weight, lift, velocity, airfoil are too complex, they need to first push their skinny cousin a wheel barrow along the flat then up a ramp, followed by their fat Uncle Albert. It might help their understanding.
Old May 30, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
How anybody could even create those questions for a poll beggars belief. It's not a question of weighting people OR bags.

They shut down the comments pretty quickly but leaving that poll up reflects directly on the poor levels of reporting that's becoming pretty normal for them now.
Thai-Kiwi and codyc1515 like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 1:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

I understand that getting weighed is voluntary.

I understand that no numbers will be visible.

And yet I wonder if those who are at the higher end will participate. There is so much shaming about being heavy that it could be tough to step on the scales. So will the study actually get a true range?
Old May 30, 2023, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
And yet I wonder if those who are at the higher end will participate. There is so much shaming about being heavy that it could be tough to step on the scales. So will the study actually get a true range?
Great that numbers are not visible except to the database (presumedly with no names attached), but they should make it compulsory to gather accurate and complete information.
If you travel on small charter flight, fixed or rotary wing, you have to be weighed for W&B.

As for shaming, that is purely subjective.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 4:42 pm

I got SMS yesterday before NZ284 today. On plane now waiting for loading to complete - no sign of anyone being weighed despite notification that would be happening for flight.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 4:35 am

Programs: NZ Elite Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Yeah that’s a good point, they probably won’t get a representative sample because some people will have body image issues that make them shy about hopping on the scales in front of people - even if the number isn’t displayed. TBH it seems a weird way to get an idea of the average passenger’s weight - they could get anonymised aggregated data from Stats NZ or MoH classified by age / gender / etc. Surely that would be better quality data than 10,000 pax measured every 5 years.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by smashingly
Yeah thats a good point, they probably wont get a representative sample because some people will have body image issues that make them shy about hopping on the scales in front of people - even if the number isnt displayed. TBH it seems a weird way to get an idea of the average passengers weight - they could get anonymised aggregated data from Stats NZ or MoH classified by age / gender / etc. Surely that would be better quality data than 10,000 pax measured every 5 years.
Can't think of any Stats survey that includes weight.

MoH won't have it either. Very rough weights may be held GPs. But not sure MoH could aggregate that data as no need. Number of people who are obese etc maybe collect that as could help health policy & strategy.

None of those would cover and those who actually fly which is the population they want.

Also my understanding is they are also collecting carryon weights which Stats and MoH wouldn't have either.

And Stats and MoH would only cover citizens and residents which isn't reflective of the passenger load. As a statistically significant number of pax would be from outside of NZ.

Plus other things airlines have control over like bedding, food carts, utensils, etc.

Also weighing pax aligns with international standards and best practice.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I agree there is likely insufficient suitable data held for this task.

On general stats there presumably must be some data aggregation as we do hear occasionally that x% of the adult population is afflicted with [insert condition].

The New Zealand Health Survey 2020/21 found that:
  • around 1 in 3 adults (aged 15 years and over) were classified as obese*(34.3%), up from 31.2% in 2019/20
  • there was a significant increase from 2019/20 to 2020/21 for women (31.9% to 35.9%), but not for men
  • the prevalence of obesity among adults differed by ethnicity, with 71.3% of Pacific, 50.8% of Māori, 31.9% of European/Other and 18.5% of Asian adults obese
  • adults living in the most socioeconomically deprived areas were 1.6 times as likely to be obese as adults living in the least deprived areas**
https://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health...ity-statistics
Old Jun 3, 2023, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I agree there is likely insufficient suitable data held for this task.

On general stats there presumably must be some data aggregation as we do hear occasionally that x% of the adult population is afflicted with [insert condition].

https://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health...ity-statistics
Yeah that is obesity and overweight which is different to weight. As takes into account height etc. Same weigth at different at heights can be underweight, normal or obese. The diagnosis may get filtered up but the details that lead to the diagnosis.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:58 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Yeah that is obesity and overweight which is different to weight. As takes into account height etc. Same weigth at different at heights can be underweight, normal or obese. The diagnosis may get filtered up but the details that lead to the diagnosis.
the NZ Health Survey does measure weight - done at peoples homes

It would be good representative data of the NZ population - but maybe not of flyers?
Old Jun 10, 2023, 4:33 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Weigh the plane empty
weigh the plane full
Count the bodies onboad
do the division
Voila!
prp343 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Weigh the plane empty
weigh the plane full
Count the bodies onboad
do the division
Voila!
You missed fuel & freight, both variables.
Beano likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
You missed fuel & freight, both variables.
I imagine they should both be known.

Interestingly had a standard carryon trolley case weighed at NPE this afternoon, brings back distant memories of Jetstar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.