Wiki Posts
Search

Comments section on board passes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2023, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold Elite
Comments section on board passes

I’ve always been curious what the numbers in the comments section mean on Air Nz boarding passes? Does anyone know what 035 means?

Another boarding pass I have says 052.

Old Apr 30, 2023, 2:24 am

I believe this is the Sequence Number and has something to do with the position you were in for check-in.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by codyc1515
I believe this is the Sequence Number and has something to do with the position you were in for check-in.
Correct, it’s basically like a stub number on a manual paper ticket and have be around for years.

For example there are 171 tick stubs and are given out from 1, upwards.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 3:48 am

Programs: NZ*G
I’m pretty sure they are given out alphabetically based on surname at some point. My surname is near the end of the alphabet and it correlates quite well with how busy the flight is.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 4:49 am

Yes it is the sequence number. It is done alphabetically at some point before departure (I think at T-24 when OLCI opens). After that, any additional passengers moved to this flight will get assigned a number at the end irrespective of their surnames.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
In my view SEQ is simply check-in sequence. Common across may/all carriers. I have had conducted OLCI at the earliest point and had very low SEQ numbers, unrelated to surname position in alphabet.

The SEQ number allocated might also be influenced if a flight is a second sector; ie a pax checked-in from LHR-HKG-AKL might see that pax with a lower SEQ number than someone flying only HKG-AKL who does OLCI as soon as it opens.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
In my view SEQ is simply check-in sequence. Common across may/all carriers. I have had conducted OLCI at the earliest point and had very low SEQ numbers, unrelated to surname position in alphabet.

The SEQ number allocated might also be influenced if a flight is a second sector; ie a pax checked-in from LHR-HKG-AKL might see that pax with a lower SEQ number than someone flying only HKG-AKL who does OLCI as soon as it opens.
For many other airlines that might be the case. I have had SEQ 001 before. Whereas for NZ it’s done alphabetically, if you try OLCI for yourself and others (with diff last name) on the same PNR at the same time you will see your numbers are vastly different, and always in the order or your surname initial alphabets.
Thai-Kiwi and Purplelab like this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 6:19 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Gate agents use SEQ numbers instead of names when they are referring to specific passengers. Once I had my passport verified at the gate, and the agent asked her fellow agent to cross number XX off the list, XX being my sequence number.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 7:03 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by akl_cat
For many other airlines that might be the case. I have had SEQ 001 before. Whereas for NZ it’s done alphabetically, if you try OLCI for yourself and others (with diff last name) on the same PNR at the same time you will see your numbers are vastly different, and always in the order or your surname initial alphabets.
Yes, in contrast to what NZ do, many other airlines use the sequence number to determine check-in order.

I have quite a few boarding passes with 001 from where I was first to check-in with OLCI.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 1:22 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Yes, in contrast to what NZ do, many other airlines use the sequence number to determine check-in order.

I have quite a few boarding passes with 001 from where I was first to check-in with OLCI.
My surname is AD**** - on AirNZ i am usually 001

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.