Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Express Pass

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Express Pass

I had a dialogue with NZ about the lack of Express passes in MEL. I just received an email to confirm outbound ( from MEL) boarding passes will have Express logos now. Now need to work on inbound lanes. Everyone speak up please.
0100 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Markhm
I had a dialogue with NZ about the lack of Express passes in MEL. I just received an email to confirm outbound ( from MEL) boarding passes will have Express logos now. Now need to work on inbound lanes. Everyone speak up please.
Inbound lanes? I never managed to find them.

And with smart gate usually was less than 15min jet birdge to land side. Mostly walking.

Outbound will be nice to have.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:27 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I've never once used an express pass on arrival into Australia and not once thought there was a need - but I've only been to Oz twice post Covid rather than the usual 6-8x per year.

Have others actually encountered queues for their customs /biosecurity screening post Covid?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I've never once used an express pass on arrival into Australia and not once thought there was a need - but I've only been to Oz twice post Covid rather than the usual 6-8x per year.

Have others actually encountered queues for their customs /biosecurity screening post Covid?
Define queue.

In Australia
Less than 5min for the biosecurity collect the form part. i don't really count that as a queue.

Smart gate may be one person.

Arrival into Wellington can be a mad house if third plane in within 30mim and not first off.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:35 pm

In in my trips to Australia I've only once waited for more than ~5 mins to get through their customs /biosecurity. It's why I'm not sure there is any need for express entry unless things have now changed post Covid.

Had a major issue at MEL in maybe 2018 or 2019 where the queue took close to an hour due to multiple issues that day in the airport - but we know that's normal at AKL these days. 🤣

Departures are very different, and the express queue is often a significant time saver.
0100 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sbiddle
In in my trips to Australia I've only once waited for more than ~5 mins to get through their customs /biosecurity. It's why I'm not sure there is any need for express entry unless things have now changed post Covid.

Had a major issue at MEL in maybe 2018 or 2019 where the queue took close to an hour due to multiple issues that day in the airport - but we know that's normal at AKL these days. 🤣

Departures are very different, and the express queue is often a significant time saver.
Same with me.

I remember when they used to give Express for arrival and I never used it. Express on departure on the other hand...
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:13 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
I agree, no issues with arrival. But different story with departures.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:31 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
You need to have a printed boarding pass or a pdf of an emailed boarding pass - security the other day wouldn’t accept app as didn’t have logo, didn’t care that in business class, wanted logo!!
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:21 pm

Traveled MEL-AKL last Friday 24th in J and confirm didn't get Express card and/or logo show up on boarding pass. There was a lane for Express path at security which basically was no line. I think I could've saved around 10-15minutes or so if I was able to go through Express path. Keen to know what the criteria is for use at this Express path.... Air NZ not participating or something??

Last edited by flyer94; Mar 29, 2023 at 1:51 pm
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:32 pm

SYD and MEL both ditched express path lanes during the pandemic. Both restarted them last year but only for first/business customers.

From a few articles I've read in recent months both airports are consulting with airlines about expanding this to include HVCs - which no doubt means they're trying to work out the $$$
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by flyer94
Traveled MEL-AKL last Friday 24th in J and confirm didn't get Express card and/or logo show up on boarding pass. There was a lane for Express path at security which basically was no line. I think I could've saved around 10-15minutes or so if I was able to go through Express path. Keen to know what the criteria is for use at this Express path.... Air NZ not participating or something??
It seems as a J passenger you could have tried the Express path despite not having a card/logo...? Worst case you get turned around
Old Mar 30, 2023, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
The email I received told meEligible customers are:

All Business Premium travellers

All Elite and Gold Economy Class travellers
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:28 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
same, I fly every month. Most of the time the "Express path" gates for customs aren't operational anyway.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 3:39 pm

On the Star Alliance website, it actually says at both SYD and MEL, all Star Alliance Gold customers (even traveling in Y) have access to 'Express Path' or 'Priority Pass' for Departures....

https://www.staralliance.com/en/airp...irportCode=MEL
https://www.staralliance.com/en/airp...irportCode=SYD

I've got a few trips coming up to SYD and MEL so I'll just try to use these (if they're open and looks like it'll be quicker) as my Air New Zealand boarding pass should show *G. I'll report back afterwards.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 6:37 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Open in SYD today. No express pass or symbol printed on the boarding pass, but a separate entrance if you show a Business Class or First Class boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.