Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best AKL-LHR Flights these days?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2023, 11:31 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
I suggest avoiding UK Travelodge's if at all possible. All aspects have deteriorated alarmingly over the past few years and many are now akin to truck stops.
Premier Inns are good value though with a standardised layout and approach. Much loved by brit work travellers as they are always clean ...the Inn's that is !
The nearest is a walkable distance of about 1.2 km rand has a decent bar and a more than OK restaurant . Good Breakfast.
There is one in Hampstead which is also good but about 2 km away.
sonyxperiageek likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 3:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ (*GE), ALL Accor (Diamond)
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
If going between NZ-UK/EU then it’s EK F for me. Oftentimes it’s much cheaper than NZ J, the food is better, and I get chauffeur drive.

If APD/SP earn is important then travelling via North America generally earns a higher number of NZ-metal points than flights via Asia.
Although I've never flown EK, we are booked F (Cash fare) to LHR in September, this seems to be the consensus.

I'm a loyal ANZ and SQ flyer, with many trips in Suites or BP, but the money was the same as ANZ, i've never been to DXB, so we chose a longer layover, that allowed me to try the Game Changer product from DXB-LHR
LyingFlat likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by airbourne_kiwi
Although I've never flown EK, we are booked F (Cash fare) to LHR in September, this seems to be the consensus.

I'm a loyal ANZ and SQ flyer, with many trips in Suites or BP, but the money was the same as ANZ, i've never been to DXB, so we chose a longer layover, that allowed me to try the Game Changer product from DXB-LHR
Very nice! Enjoy the on-board shower too!
poopbunny and airbourne_kiwi like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Great... Flight's been delayed so instead of ~3 hours between flights it's now less than 2 hours between flights in SFO...
Old May 22, 2023, 4:35 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
A 3 hour connection in SFO would be challenging to make. A 2 hour one feels like the stars would have to align to make that a reality.
​​​​​​
Old May 23, 2023, 2:00 am

Programs: BA, NZ
Does anyone have experience with transit through PVG? Some of the better pricing I am seeing to Europe at the moment is going through there.
Old May 23, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by sonyxperiageek
Great... Flight's been delayed so instead of ~3 hours between flights it's now less than 2 hours between flights in SFO...
Please do give us the final result.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Sorry, have finally gotten time to catch up on FT! Got out of the plane at SFO and was pretty much straight to Customs and out to baggage collection, no line at all. I was pretty much one of the first in this batch to reach CBP, also probably helped by the fact I wasn't sitting in the back of the plane.

Rechecked bags, and went through security again and was able to enjoy a quick visit and meal at the United Polaris lounge (only available for United Business customers - if you're *G you have to go to the other peasant club lounge). Got to the gate and it ended up being delayed for a further 3 hours due to a technical issue (we ended up swapping aircraft!). So I went back to the lounge to enjoy a much needed shower. Departed at about 7pm that day, from a scheduled 4pm departure.

In essence, due to the short lines at CBP and security, I would have made it in plenty time with my initial short 2 hour layover. But if you start getting queues, then it will certainly be tight!

Raw fresh tuna on Rice canape. Air NZ need to up their lounge food offerings me thinks! They even had a made to order burger but I was too full from earlier food already.

My flights were/are literally right next to each other and I had to walk a couple hundred metres, go through customs, re-check bags and go through security again lol.
Rebound, SeaProf, Redkiwi and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 8:46 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
How do you read the status points on a trip to London?

With the multiple options with different airlines to fly to London how do you know how many SP are Airnz ones ?
​​​​​​When you are looking at a flight it shows a number of SP which I assume only a portion are Airnz ??
Old Jun 21, 2023, 8:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ (*GE), ALL Accor (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Beano
With the multiple options with different airlines to fly to London how do you know how many SP are Airnz ones ?
​​​​​​When you are looking at a flight it shows a number of SP which I assume only a portion are Airnz ??
you need to use the airpoints calculator on the ANZ Site. Do it by airline and sector and you’ll know how many you’ll earn. Note: you won’t earn bonus SPs on non-anz Operated flights.***

I’ve just booked a paid fare in F to LHR with J AKL-SIN and I calculated the points per the r above.

***this is definitely incorrect! It should have read: you won’t earn SPs on non alliance or non codeshare partners

Last edited by airbourne_kiwi; Jul 9, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Beano
https://www.airnzpoints.co.nz
Old Jun 21, 2023, 11:12 pm

Note: you won’t earn bonus SPs on non-anz Operated flights.
You will. My app is showing i will get bonus points on my SQ operated flight

Last edited by raznz; Jun 21, 2023 at 11:16 pm Reason: Added screenshot
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Note: you won’t earn bonus SPs on non-anz Operated flights.
As above. Heck, even my QF codeshare SYD-HBA earned the 50% bonus

raznz likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately I won't get any points for my LHR to LAX flight on Virgin Atlantic next week.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

If I'm on a VS flight from LHR to LAX, then Air NZ to AKL, do I get any lounge privileges at LHR?
airbourne_kiwi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.