Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best AKL-LHR Flights these days?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2023, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Best AKL-LHR Flights these days?

Don't we all miss the all-NZ metal flights between AKL and LHR? I'm heading over for work soon and was wondering what's the best flight combo these days? Hopefully one that would maximize my GE status, 2 RUs and APD upgrades if even possible.

Looking at the Air NZ booking app, it seems there are lots and lots of choices and with various airlines, so curious what one you guys would pick if travelling between AKL and LHR these days.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:22 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If going between NZ-UK/EU then it’s EK F for me. Oftentimes it’s much cheaper than NZ J, the food is better, and I get chauffeur drive.

If APD/SP earn is important then travelling via North America generally earns a higher number of NZ-metal points than flights via Asia.
bce1 and Beano like this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonyxperiageek
Don't we all miss the all-NZ metal flights between AKL and LHR? I'm heading over for work soon and was wondering what's the best flight combo these days? Hopefully one that would maximize my GE status, 2 RUs and APD upgrades if even possible.

Looking at the Air NZ booking app, it seems there are lots and lots of choices and with various airlines, so curious what one you guys would pick if travelling between AKL and LHR these days.
From your profile
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
What is you criteria for "best"?
Does your work have any travel policy? Preferred airlines? Class of (ticketed) travel?
As you know Air NZ can only get you about half way. The rest on other airlines.
The Air NZ app/web site may not offer the best /all options.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 2:24 am
Original Poster

"Best" is the cheapest I can get business class fares for haha. Just me basically deciding if it's worth me paying for the fare difference between Economy (what work will only pay for) and Business. Or PE if it starts getting too expensive.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
As others have mentioned, the problem is that NZ J fares are very expensive compared to competitor’s fares. Of course, this is problematic if you want to attempt to use an upgrade instrument as you need to be on NZ metal and ticketed by NZ.

If travelling short notice, or fixed dates, gaining success with upgrades becomes a lottery…

Good luck!
Old Apr 23, 2023, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
As others have mentioned, the problem is that NZ J fares are very expensive compared to competitor’s fares. Of course, this is problematic if you want to attempt to use an upgrade instrument as you need to be on NZ metal and ticketed by NZ.

If travelling short notice, or fixed dates, gaining success with upgrades becomes a lottery…

Good luck!
What would you do Thai-Kiwi ?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:16 am

the AKL-SIN route seems to have quite a bit of availability currently in the premium cabins so might have a high chance to clear an RU or Elite APD Upgrade, but I'm guessing heading to EU will be chocker full.

plus SIN > LAX as a stopover for me personally. Although I have no experience in economy in SG's A380
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What would you do Thai-Kiwi ?
Advice?! If I am paying, then:

for biz: Price->Schedule/Route->Alliance.
for eco: Alliance->Price->Schedule/Route
(assuming status is held)

Family member (NZ*S) currently en-route to London:

Y: AKL-YVR(NZ)-LHR(AC)
PE: LHR-HKG(CX)-AKL(NZ)

I have gifted an Elite $AP upgrade to J HKG-AKL

This Y/PE combo cost more than my recommendation of VS ticketed PE of around $4500. NZ metal to/from US then VS to/from London. But they greatly preferred to avoid transit in US.

You need to figure out your own criteria for travel…. And then try to stick with it 😎
jawnbc and sonyxperiageek like this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 23, 2023 at 3:38 am
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Anyone have any experience with transiting SFO and/or LAX recently? Are 3 hours and 2 hours respectively enough time between flights?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: AA - EXP
In the current configuration (appreciate new seat is on its way) Air NZ J is pretty lackluster… IFE very dated, food is so so snd we all know the shortcomings of the seat…

I flew SQ J LHR - SIN - AKL December 21. Far superior seat, food and service. Even with limited Changi airport services. I’ll take it over the mess of US transit.

Q suites is fun, amazing entertainment and food, seat is a pod and loads of storage, pretty comfy bed. It is a bit of a schlepp (less now Adelaide stop is over) and tbh I don’t love Doha ground experience. At the wrong time the lounges are slammed.

i’m not sure how reliable it is these days, but I always have a special place in my heart for Cathay Pacific. Especially A350 J and PE! Transit in HKG is (was) a breeze and the lounges are A+.

I am predominantly a OneWorld guy but Qantas feels superfluous with the extra stop, and also very expensive at the moment. Americans have just started their nonstop to LAX, which would have good connections through to Heathrow avoid BA, disaster !
Silver Fox and poopbunny like this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone have any experience with transiting SFO and/or LAX recently? Are 3 hours and 2 hours respectively enough time between flights?
Last May through LAX, 3 hours would have been OK. I had longer.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Just booked NZ/UA via LAX, was tempe by the NZ/Virgin Option via SFO but price skyrocketed. This was stll 2-3 k less than EK/QR/Singapore otherwise I would have gone with one of those.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
You need to be flexible and look for cheapest European landfall. Amsterdam can be cheap as can Scandinavia. I need to go to Istanbul for a trade show in October. A Malaysian/Oman Air combo was showing a fare of NZ$6,000 in business class. Similar combos were showing to FRA and LHR (or wherever Oman Air flies).
poopbunny likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
it remains a lottery.
Cleared to curb at LAX in 25 mins with no luggage off NZ6 recently.
End of last year missed the VS connection due to huge lines for Customs.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bce1
it remains a lottery.
Cleared to curb at LAX in 25 mins with no luggage off NZ6 recently.
End of last year missed the VS connection due to huge lines for Customs.
I have found that the later, second NZ flight arrival times seem to hit a pretty empty immigration hall. The first flight (with the better 777 product) hits the peak European and Asian arrivals.
Sorry, I don't know the flight numbers, but the second flight is generally a 787.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.