Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Storm Gabrielle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2023, 6:34 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Have a cookie. You're mean when you're hungry.

Originally Posted by shillard
[Moderator edit]

Checked in for my AKL-CHC flight yesterday, 5 minutes later "all flights cancelled" because of some wind, when I've been up in a Cessna 152 under worse conditions.

Went to the lounge "We're closing the lounge". ...??? [Moderator edit] Poor form.

Fortunately our bags came out quickly and we abandoned the airport, lined up accommodation before the rush and now flying back to AU tomorrow AM (unless they cancel everything again because of a light breeze...).

NZ is a living case study in how NOT to handle irregular ops.
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: NZ EP
What’s the general take on when ATR take off/ landings become marginal at Auckland due to wind?

I appreciate there are a few variables, but is there a point where the SW gets too strong for an ATR?
Old Sep 28, 2023, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Principally it’ll be the specified crosswind limit for the ATR in the flight manual, along with any operating procedures AirNZ has chosen to implement for the ATR fleet (eg max wind gust limits).

In some aircraft types, that crosswind limit changes with changes in all up weight (AUW). That means that the limitations are dynamic depending on fuel and pax load implications on AUW.

I have plans tomorrow for 4 sectors, two on the ATR. Wish me luck…..!
Gasfoodlodging likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Sep 29, 2023 at 9:58 pm
Old Sep 29, 2023, 9:54 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
NZ950 to NAN struck by lightning and returned to AKL today.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...nz950#323c156e

Last edited by Rebound; Sep 30, 2023 at 2:53 pm
Old Sep 30, 2023, 2:06 am

Programs: NZ EP
Originally Posted by Rebound
NZ950 to NAN struck my lightning and returned to AKL today.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...nz950#323c156e
Struck at 40,000ft? Holy cow
did they not see that cell coming?

Auckland today wasn’t too bad, however the connecting flights from Tauranga etc led to some reasonably chunky delays on the ATRs and -8s…. Still, glad we didn’t get cancelled!
Old Sep 30, 2023, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I flew WLG-AKL-NPE-AKL-WLG today.

Weather was worst WLG-AKL, and slightly improved over the day. We had to wait onboard for an hour+ on the apron on return to AKL due wind being too strong for the marshaller, and we missed Original AKl-WLG. Was rebooked, but that suffered 1h50 delay. Long day.

Flew over Esk Valley, impacts still visible.

Esk Valley

Departing NPE

“Adverse Weather” at AKL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.