Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Storm Gabrielle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2023, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
I am of course no weather expert but its saying gusts up to 46 km/h, if I am right Wellington can blow much higher? It seems very dramatic to cancel every single domestic flight?
A if your source is km/h it is not an aviation source for weather. For avaition speed will always be in knots.

B Wellington's geography helps control the crosswind and means normally roughly always on the nose of the plane. The turbulence on Wellington is how the wind rolls off the hills.

Last edited by nzkarit; Feb 12, 2023 at 3:57 pm
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit
A if your source is km/h it is not an aviation source for weather. For avaition speed will always be in knots.

B Wellington's geography helps control the crosswind and means normally roughly always on the nose of the plane. The turbulence on Wellington is how the wind rolls off the hills.
I disagree.

Approaches to WLG Rwy 16 are generally into wind (and occasionally the Sou'Wester can provide some cross-wind), however approaches to Rwy 34 more often encounter a westerly component which can generate significant turbulence and strong crosswind from the left/port. Later this week may see strong South-Easterly winds which may be uncomfortable for approaches on Rwy 16.

At least in my experience piloting 20,000kg class aircraft into WLG.
WLG Base and brenrox like this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 2:24 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
thanks yes its non urgent for a flight in a few weeks, dont want to swamp the calling centre with this today given that there is all the chaos ongoing
Sent them a message via WhatsApp yesterday concerning a flight tomorrow and no answer yet. So probably not good for anything urgent, still they suggested it would be an alternative to calling
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Sent them a message via WhatsApp yesterday concerning a flight tomorrow and no answer yet. So probably not good for anything urgent, still they suggested it would be an alternative to calling
Here is a typical whatsapp message

Old Feb 13, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
All Auckland flights for the day cancelled. Changed flights as soon as I could- was showing on app but now it has disappeared, luckily I checked into the new flight for 7am tomorrow and sent the boarding passes to my email.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will take several days to recover.
Auckland Airport suspends flights as high winds strike; Air NZ cancels all domestic flights for rest of the day
<snip>
The airport company said at 3.45pm today that “ground handling operations have needed to pause due to wind speed on the airfield, and the need to protect the safety of airport workers.”

Air New Zealand announced it had cancelled all domestic flights in and out of Auckland for the rest of the day, in a move that is expected to affect about 55 flights.

Air New Zealand chief operational integrity and safety officer Captain David Morgan said the strength and direction of winds at Auckland Airport were making it challenging to service aircraft, and it would be unsafe for staff “to continue to operate in these conditions”.

Air NZ is still planning to operate international flights at this stage - even though they are currently suspended. “These are able to operate because the international terminal is more sheltered from winds, however, the airline will be monitoring wind gusts closely and will reassess if conditions change,” said Morgan.
<snip>
Old Feb 15, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
[Moderator edit]

Checked in for my AKL-CHC flight yesterday, 5 minutes later "all flights cancelled" because of some wind, when I've been up in a Cessna 152 under worse conditions.

Went to the lounge "We're closing the lounge". ...??? [Moderator edit] Poor form.

Fortunately our bags came out quickly and we abandoned the airport, lined up accommodation before the rush and now flying back to AU tomorrow AM (unless they cancel everything again because of a light breeze...).

NZ is a living case study in how NOT to handle irregular ops.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 16, 2023 at 8:20 am Reason: Edited off-topic text and vulgarity per FT Rules 5 and 16
Old Feb 15, 2023, 2:17 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
The country is in a state of emergency. Entire towns are destroyed. There was a lot of unknowns in how the weather could change and what more the storm can bring. This is not some "irregular ops" and I feel more confident in flying with Air NZ after this, knowing that they will put my safety first, even at the expense of their business.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by shillard
[Moderator edit]

Checked in for my AKL-CHC flight yesterday, 5 minutes later "all flights cancelled" because of some wind, when I've been up in a Cessna 152 under worse conditions.

Went to the lounge "We're closing the lounge". ...??? [Moderator edit.] Poor form.

Fortunately our bags came out quickly and we abandoned the airport, lined up accommodation before the rush and now flying back to AU tomorrow AM (unless they cancel everything again because of a light breeze...).

Are you sure you have been up in a Cessna in those conditions? Last time I looked at the AKL weather while cancellations were happening there was a high cross wind component. Which even at a relatively low speed is outside limits for the planes.

Additionally AirNZ is looking at at the bigger picture & pre planning. Better to gracefully cancel flights before forced to stop flights as can do so in such a way that the planes and crews are in a position to restart smoothly. Example Southwest didn't cancel enough flights in a planned way and everything was out of position & their IT systems couldn't handle the restart. If anything they are handling the IRROPS well looked at what happened in the US back in December when they have large scale weather related IRROPS and looked at how long it took the airlines to get the schedule working again. Would say AirNZ has recovered quite well in comparison.

Why would you want to stay in the lonuge? When they on Tue afternoon cancelled the Domestic flights they were cancelled for the rest of the day. The airline didn't shaft the pax, they look at the weather and said it was unsafe for them to continue with flight ops.
kiwiandrew likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 16, 2023 at 8:21 am Reason: Conforming Moderator edit to original post.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 2:57 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Why would you want to stay in the lonuge? When they on Tue afternoon cancelled the Domestic flights they were cancelled for the rest of the day. The airline didn't shaft the pax, they look at the weather and said it was unsafe for them to continue with flight ops.
Don't forget the airport itself also made the decision that it was unsafe for ground crews to operate. Can't pushback a plane if there's no ground crew to do it.
kiwiandrew likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:30 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I am honestly just astounded that anyone is complaining right now about canceled flights and the koru lounge therefore being closed due to cross winds, when people are literally dead and houses and towns wiped out.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not finished yet. Harder for recovery
rnz.co.nz North Island braces for more wild weather as severe thunderstorm watch issued
The North Island could be in for more stormy weather, with a severe thunderstorm watch issued.

MetService is warning that thunderstorms could be severe in Bay of Plenty, Rotorua, eastern Taupō, the ranges of Hawke's Bay and Gisborne, and Gisborne north of Tolaga Bay, with localised downpours of 25 to 40mm per hour - and possible hail. The thunderstorm watch is in place from 3pm until 10pm Thursday and MetService said all the ingredients were there for it to be severe, though it could not be sure.
<snip>
Old Feb 16, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I was at AKL Domestic this morning and expected a zoo. I was wrong. Security was quick (maybe 3-4 minutes) and the Koru lounge was quiet. The only problem has been waiting 20+ minutes on board (so far) to shut the doors and depart. After the carnage across the network this week, I’ll take that as a win.
Thai-Kiwi and jeffrocowboy like this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:45 am

Took 50mins to clear immigration an security on Feb 16 in international, looked like a lot of flights were leaving at the same time but no biggie considering the conditions
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by shillard
[Moderator edit]

Went to the lounge "We're closing the lounge". ...??? [Moderator edit] Poor form.

If you think a tropical cyclone is a "light breeze," I wonder what you consider windy.
When was the last time you were up in a Cessna 152 in 150+ km/h winds? Not counting video games, that is...
codyc1515 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.