Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

AKL-SIN in Prem Eco - AirNZ or Singapore Air?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airlines: NZ, VS, BA; Hotels: Hilton, IHG

Family of four from Auckland to Singapore next January. Premium Economy pricing near identical on NZ and SQ. 787-9 for NZ, and A350-900 on SQ. Which is the better product and why?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Phantomchickenz81
Family of four from Auckland to Singapore next January. Premium Economy pricing near identical on NZ and SQ. 787-9 for NZ, and A350-900 on SQ. Which is the better product and why?
What is important for you in a PE seat?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:22 pm

personally i think the (physical) NZ PE seat is better, but you do get BTC on SQ

also if it matters to you, you get more Status points on the NZ flight
trooper likes this.

Last edited by raznz; Jan 15, 2023 at 2:28 pm
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
What is important for you in a PE seat?
Primarily comfort and legroom (182cm). Secondary would be food and IFE.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Air NZ is probably better but they are so similar that I would let other factors win out such as:

* Which do I want status points with
* Who has the better flight times that fits with my schedule better
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Air NZ is probably better but they are so similar that I would let other factors win out such as:

* Which do I want status points with
* Who has the better flight times that fits with my schedule better
Yep, looking at schedules too and they’re broadly equal. I’ll likely credit the miles to Virgin Atlantic either way, as I only make it to NZ every 4-5 years. I don’t think either would earn me tier points there.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:45 pm

Did AKL-SIN-AKL in PE just a few months ago, AKL-SIN with NZ on 789 and SIN-AKL with SQ on 359.

I have to say hands down NZ wins by a wide margin. NZ PE is 2-3-2 whereas SQ is 2-4-2 and that made a massive difference. Service-wise you get a differential offering from Y with NZ (premium dining, overnight pack, separate bathrooms), but with SQ it's virtually the same as Y (same food, no overnight pack, sharing bathrooms with Y which is a massive letdown).

Edit: Although I see you are flying as a fam of 4. Maybe the 2-4-2 layout on SQ is a better fit for your group, but I think you can spread the group across two rows of two on NZ
trooper, Purplelab and progapanda like this.

Last edited by akl_cat; Jan 15, 2023 at 3:53 pm
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:25 pm

Yep, looking at schedules too and they’re broadly equal. I’ll likely credit the miles to Virgin Atlantic either way, as I only make it to NZ every 4-5 years. I don’t think either would earn me tier points there.
All things equal I would choose Air NZ.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:39 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Air NZ Seat for sure
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akl_cat
Did AKL-SIN-AKL in PE just a few months ago, AKL-SIN with NZ on 789 and SIN-AKL with SQ on 359.

I have to say hands down NZ wins by a wide margin. NZ PE is 2-3-2 whereas SQ is 2-4-2 and that made a massive difference. Service-wise you get a differential offering from Y with NZ (premium dining, overnight pack, separate bathrooms), but with SQ it's virtually the same as Y (same food, no overnight pack, sharing bathrooms with Y which is a massive letdown).

Edit: Although I see you are flying as a fam of 4. Maybe the 2-4-2 layout on SQ is a better fit for your group, but I think you can spread the group across two rows of two on NZ
Very helpful, thanks. Two rows of two will be perfectly fine.
Thai-Kiwi and akl_cat like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I've done this route recently on both SQ and NZ. The NZ seat does indeed have more pitch (as others have noted) but I find the SQ seat to have better padding. SQ has larger PTVs and champagne, but NZ has amenity kits, slightly better food and more choice in wines (I say that as a vegetarian). The point about shared lavatories with Y is in my view not a big deal because at least on the 789 V1, NZ only has one dedicated lavatory for PE (789 V2 may be better?) and it's not like they put in a lot of effort to discourage Y passengers from accessing it. While it may depend on the crews and how busy they are, I found the SQ crews did a better job of keeping the lavatories in better condition. NZ also allows PE passengers to use Premium Check-In at AKL but I actually found it to be busier than just the standard self-check in queues.

Last edited by progapanda; Jan 16, 2023 at 9:57 pm
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:07 pm

My experience has been that Y passengers rarely use the PE bathroom
Old Jan 17, 2023, 2:05 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
NZ without a doubt, in part because SQ's A350s are inferior to other SQ aircraft in PE.

One problem with the A350 is that although it has a wider fuselage than a 787, the class that doesn't benefit from this is PE. A350s are wider than 787s, but it means narrower seats in a 2-4-2 configuration in PE compared to 2-3-2 in PE on a 787. NZ has greater seat pitch and seat width than SQ.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 2:19 am

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
having flown both in the last year, NZ Y+ is light years ahead of SQ Y+. if you're comparing NZ283/SQ285, the times are similar enough to choose based on seat
NZ Y+
- 41-42" pitch- business catering (packaged slightly differently)
- use business toilets and seen as a more premium cabin- small amenity pouch
- served by business/Y+ crew (less stretched)
SQ Y+
- 38" pitch- catering is economy. Basically the different between Y+/Y meal trays on SQ is that the Y+ has a small appetizer like a pasta salad or something- no amenity anything- served by Y crew
Old Jan 17, 2023, 6:53 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I too would vote NZ for the seat. SQ's PE is good, but NZ's is a wee bit better, in terms of the seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.