Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status Points bonus

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
OK, looking at what I need to requalify for GE on 28 Oct.

Current earn to date
metal 365, total 609

Future confirmed bookings to 28 Oct (assume 50% ANZ credit card SP earn)
metal 170, total 255

Anticipated position at 28 Oct
metal 535, total 864

Shortfall from requal 810/1350
-275 metal, -486 total

Apply 270 Status Points bonus ‘gift’ (counts as metal??)
-5 metal, -216 total

So if the foregoing is correct then I just need 216 SP, with at least 5 of those from AirNZ metal.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
OK, looking at what I need to requalify for GE on 28 Oct.

Current earn to date
metal 365, total 609

Future confirmed bookings to 28 Oct (assume 50% ANZ credit card SP earn)
metal 170, total 255

Anticipated position at 28 Oct
metal 535, total 864

Shortfall from requal 810/1350
-275 metal, -486 total

Apply 270 Status Points bonus ‘gift’ (counts as metal??)
-5 metal, -216 total

So if the foregoing is correct then I just need 216 SP, with at least 5 of those from AirNZ metal.

Thoughts?
My understanding is they will count as metal.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Edit again: Looking at it above in the screenshot, that doesn't look like we can tell from that if it is metal or not. Unless that poster has already maxxed out cc points, it will of course count towards their gold/elite total required. I am not sure if we have had official confirmation and I missed the post in this thread.

My guess is it'll count as metal but if it doesn't, I will not be surprised, Air NZ is much harsher than a lot of other FF programs with their metal requirements.

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Feb 24, 2023 at 7:48 pm
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Edit again: Looking at it above in the screenshot, that doesn't look like we can tell from that if it is metal or not. Unless that poster has already maxxed out cc points, it will of course count towards their gold/elite total required. I am not sure if we have had official confirmation and I missed the post in this thread.

My guess is it'll count as metal but if it doesn't, I will not be surprised, Air NZ is much harsher than a lot of other FF programs with their metal requirements.
Yes, ambiguity remains. I assume that if the non-metal requirements are met (or within 270), then the 270 bonus SP will count toward metal requirement as AirNZ is at least clear that the bonus can be used for requalification (but not to upgrade status).

It’d be handy if the app had a progress bar for ‘metal-earned’ SP to accompany the total SP earn progress bar. The current display doesn’t provide that info.

Useful at least for folks like me that probably are just on the cusp of renewing each year…
Beano likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 2:22 am

Yes, ambiguity remains. I assume that if the non-metal requirements are met (or within 270), then the 270 bonus SP will count toward metal requirement as AirNZ is at least clear that the bonus can be used for requalification (but not to upgrade status).

It’d be handy if the app had a progress bar for ‘metal-earned’ SP to accompany the total SP earn progress bar. The current display doesn’t provide that info.

Useful at least for folks like me that probably are just on the cusp of renewing each year…
I feel like on the desktop you can hover over a part of it or something like that to see the difference in how much you need for flights vs general SP, but I could be wrong. A clear bar would be nice definitely. My guess is most people don't get much SP from their credit cards, so we are a pretty niche part of their audience.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:33 pm

The ANZ bonus status points don’t count towards metal status points, but instead card/ground points.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airp...points-earning

All bonus Status Points earned on qualifying flights^ count towards the total required Status Points to earn or retain tier status, and do not count towards the calculation of the required portion of Status Points that must be earned on Air New Zealand operated flights, qualifying partner airline flights, Star Alliance qualifying flights or Frequent Flyer Status Boost (Airpoints Gold and Elite only). Find out more about the Status Points required to move up and retain tier status.
Beano likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AviationNZ
The ANZ bonus status points don’t count towards metal status points, but instead card/ground points.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airp...points-earning

All bonus Status Points earned on qualifying flights^ count towards the total required Status Points to earn or retain tier status, and do not count towards the calculation of the required portion of Status Points that must be earned on Air New Zealand operated flights, qualifying partner airline flights, Star Alliance qualifying flights or Frequent Flyer Status Boost (Airpoints Gold and Elite only). Find out more about the Status Points required to move up and retain tier status.

Thanks. Was specifically interested in confirmation that the 20% bonus SP towards requalification that AirNZ is offering indeed effectively counts s metal-earned SP. This is implied given they state the bonus can be used for requalification, but isn’t explicit on this point. For example, Status Boost SP do count towards the metal requirement and this is clearly articulated.

EDITED to add:

OK, I re-read the AirNZ Page and things are clearer.

SP Top Up. Up to 20% of SP requal requirement added to allow requal if short.
(metal-ish, only what is required to requal, don’t count towards upgrade status)

SP Bonus. For those meeting requal or upgrade, gift of 20% of tier requal requirement.
(non-metal, gift of 81, 162, or 270 SPs).
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Feb 26, 2023 at 6:26 pm Reason: solved
Old Feb 26, 2023, 5:48 pm

Thanks. Was specifically interested in confirmation that the 20% bonus SP towards requalification that AirNZ is offering indeed effectively counts s metal-earned SP. This is implied given they state the bonus can be used for requalification, but isn’t explicit on this point. For example, Status Boost SP do count towards the metal requirement and this is clearly articulated.
Arghhhh, apologies, I posted my comment in the wrong thread
I was reading both this thread and the one on Airpoints credit card changes, but accidentally wrote in this one. Sorry!
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi;35042357

[b
SP Bonus[/b]. For those meeting requal or upgrade, gift of 20% of tier requal requirement.
(non-metal, gift of 81, 162, or 270 SPs).
What page are you looking at to get the "non metal part"?

https://www.airnewzealand.com/freque...sistance#bonus

Makes it look like it is metal:

Members who retain their Silver, Gold or Elite Status

If a member earns enough Status Points to retain their status on their review date within the above period, (without the use of a Tier Status Extension, Elite Banked Year or Status Points top up) we will credit a Status Points bonus. This bonus will be credited as Air New Zealand Status Points into the member's account at the start of the next membership year (after their review date).
Emphasis mine.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:06 pm

That's fairly compelling to indicate it being classified as metal SP. Or perhaps I am just being hopeful, lol.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzkarit
What page are you looking at to get the "non metal part"?

https://www.airnewzealand.com/freque...sistance#bonus

Makes it look like it is metal:

Emphasis mine.
It states that such Bonus SP gifted to those that have already re-qualified cannot be used towards upgrading status - which I interpret as effectively being non-metal. And so are different to Top-Up SP, which are a variable amount of SP gifted to ‘just’ close the gap for requal.

Bonus SP is also the language used to describe credit card SP earn.

Finally, not to be confused with the metal-counting SP Boost (10 sectors gives a whopping 20/30 SP).

I’d love to be wrong… maybe too sceptical that AirNZ would just freely give away 270 metal SP.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Feb 26, 2023 at 7:34 pm
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:46 pm

It states that such Bonus SP gifted to those that have already re-qualified cannot be used towards upgrading status - which I interpret as effectively being non-metal. And so are different to Top-Up SP.

I’d love to be wrong… maybe too sceptical that AirNZ would just freely give away 270 metal SP.
Are you referring to this FAQ:
The Status Points top up will not contribute to a member's ability to upgrade a tier. The additional Status Points will only be added on the member's review date for the sole purpose of assisting the member to retain their current status. They are not available to be counted towards a tier upgrade.
I read that for moving a up a tier. Not retaining for the subsequent year. Even if it was non metal it would still be helpful for moving up a tier, so thinking must be a third type of SP?

My Veiwpoint for reading is as an elite who will retain in the 22/23 year. So will be a bonus on day one of the 23/24 year. No tiers to upgrade and reading the main text which says AirNZ SP. And earlier in same paragraph just says Status Point for AirNZ SP must have a special meaning.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 8:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The way I understand it is as follows:
  • Status Points Top-Up
    • If a member has not earned enough SP during the year to retain AND does not have any banked years, NZ will gift them up to 270 SP. This means that if a member is 100 SP short, NZ will only gift them 100 SP.
    • If the member has at least one banked year, NZ will not gift any SP to the member.
    • If the member is short by 271+ SP AND as no banked years, they will be downgraded to Gold
  • Status Points Bonus
    • If a member has earned enough SP during the year, NZ will gift them 270 SP on the first day of their new membership year. This will go towards re-qualifying for their next year as an Elite member
    • If the member did not earn enough SP during the year but instead used a banked year to re-qualify, NZ will not gift them any SP.
SP for both the Top-Up and Bonus will be considered NZ-metal for the purposes of Elite requalification.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
The way I understand it is as follows:
  • Status Points Top-Up
    • If a member has not earned enough SP during the year to retain AND does not have any banked years, NZ will gift them up to 270 SP. This means that if a member is 100 SP short, NZ will only gift them 100 SP.
    • If the member has at least one banked year, NZ will not gift any SP to the member.
    • If the member is short by 271+ SP AND as no banked years, they will be downgraded to Gold
  • Status Points Bonus
    • If a member has earned enough SP during the year, NZ will gift them 270 SP on the first day of their new membership year. This will go towards re-qualifying for their next year as an Elite member
    • If the member did not earn enough SP during the year but instead used a banked year to re-qualify, NZ will not gift them any SP.
SP for both the Top-Up and Bonus will be considered NZ-metal for the purposes of Elite requalification.

Thanks. Specifically for the SP Bonus, how are you certain that the Bonus SP will be considered NZ-metal per highlighted text? They could just as well be non-metal SP and still a useful bonus towards 1350, but not the 810.

Discussion probably has run its course, but I’ll watch with interest what actually happens… 😎
Old Feb 26, 2023, 9:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thanks. Specifically for the SP Bonus, how are you certain that the Bonus SP will be considered NZ-metal per highlighted text? They could just as well be non-metal SP and still a useful bonus towards 1350, but not the 810.

Discussion probably has run its course, but I’ll watch with interest what actually happens… 😎
I have been told privately that these will be considered as NZ-metal SP.
Thai-Kiwi and Beano like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.