Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shambles at AKL domestic

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Shambles at AKL domestic

Feeling very lucky I'm on the four pm (555) AKL - CHC today, they just cancelled the 3pm (551) after first delaying it till four.
The announcement happily informed passengers there are no alternative flights until SATURDAY afternoon (its Thursday). Doesn't seem weather related.

This is just totally unacceptable surely on a trunk route? Why can't they operate an extra service?

They also cancelled Whangarei and Tauranga (last flights of the day) so those pax get to take the bus.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: NZ*E
I'd thought they should do a widebody to relief this?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
While still sitting on the tarmac at 1643 received this text from Air NZ

"Air NZ Delay:NZ555 03 Nov Auckland to Christchurch now departs 4:25PM arriving 5:50PM a delay of 25 mins." 😂😂😂
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmonster
The beauty of operating a quasi monopoly, just expect the customers to take a hike. (in this case literally if they want to make it to CHC &#128546
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster
What widebodies? At the moment think widebodies only spend time in Auckland for maintenance none really spending the day unused at the moment. Hence the wet lease over the summer to give them some contingency of a wide body spending the day in Auckland and some evenings to act as cover.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Interesting that the claimed reason for the 10% capacity cuts across the whole network was to provide breathing room in case of issues.

The problem Air NZ now have is a network running at an incredibly high load factor. While the official data won't be out for another 3 weeks it's been hinted to me that October load factors were a record for the airline.

Just about every day now across the network is literally like Xmas eve!
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Feeling very lucky I'm on the four pm (555) AKL - CHC today, they just cancelled the 3pm (551) after first delaying it till four.
The announcement happily informed passengers there are no alternative flights until SATURDAY afternoon (its Thursday). Doesn't seem weather related.
<snip>
How are Jetstar loads & prices? Will be a good earner for them if any spare seats.
As a guess flights like AKL-WLG-CHC, AKL-NSN-CHC, AKL-PMR-CHC etc are not an option?

With Christchurch Cup & Show week 5- 12 Nov will be a little more demand than normal. Always a busy time in CHCH that week
https://www.nzcsw.co.nz/
https://racing.riccartonpark.nz/nz-cup-show-week
https://www.addington.co.nz/addington-cup-week/

Edit
Staff shortages fuel travel chaos as flights cancelled, travel plans disrupted for days
Staffing shortages caused by weather disruptions are being blamed for travel chaos at Auckland Airport.

Air New Zealand confirmed a flight from Auckland to Christchurch was cancelled on Thursday afternoon due to “staffing shortages as a result of weather disrupts throughout the day”. Other flights with the airline have also been affected, including to Tauranga, Napier, Wellington and Queenstown.
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 3, 2022 at 12:31 am
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
The beauty of operating a quasi monopoly, just expect the customers to take a hike. (in this case literally if they want to make it to CHC &#128546
Yes, if anything post covid has proved us is we seriously need a re think on aviation policy in New Zealand.

NZ being 50% owned by the government, doesn’t encourage proper competition. No one wants to compete against, and airline that has a government backing them.

Would be great it Bain would look at being VA back to NZ. Could be a prefect time for them to come sweep up some of the market.

I just paid (we’ll work did) $650 return for next Thursday on AKL-WLG-AKL and that was seat only.

A rather large expensive 5hr trip to Wellington.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:13 am
Original Poster

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/staff-...GPBJBNO6BX2RA/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.