Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Op Ed by Paul Henry: Air NZ is failing us - it needs a new chair, CEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA

what are your thoughts on Air NZ in general regarding their response over COVID times and now bouncing back? Dropped the ball? Failed us? Op Ed by Paul Henry got some coverage today and hits some relevant points I thought!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...6ZL7JHJU54OKA/
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/trave...ed-manner.html
Old May 10, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I like Paul Henry but that oped was truly terrible. It just makes him look like a douche.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:53 pm

Can go flag carrier have extra responsibilities blah blah blah. But legal & contractual requirements that have to do what's in best interests of shareholders not general public.

Haven't the flight Sims & ground school been fully booked for months now? They can't bring back staff faster. Take QF example they are renting cabin crew training space from EK in Dubai to train faster.

Look at NA & Europe etc all airlines are having staffing issues which is affecting number of seats available and thus price. Also the pause on 787 deliveries isn't helping a lot of airlines either.

AirNZ all in all isn't doing better or worse at a high level. Sure individual this may be better or worse but overall it is much of a muchness.
Mwenenzi and AviationNZ like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
To be fair, NZ has never been an airline known for its cheap fares even pre-COVID.
T-15.01 and cavemanzk like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 3:17 pm

When Greg Foran admitted that the aisle facing herringbone seat isn't the best, I'd like to think there's hope.

He hasn't green lit any really awful inflight safety videos yet.
Old May 19, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by poopbunny
When Greg Foran admitted that the aisle facing herringbone seat isn't the best, I'd like to think there's hope.

He hasn't green lit any really awful inflight safety videos yet.
True... but not if he's about to sign off on another aisle-facing herringbone seat as the new product!!
Old May 19, 2022, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta
True... but not if he's about to sign off on another aisle-facing herringbone seat as the new product!!
It is signed off. You don't go for regulatory approval before signoff.
Old May 19, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by nzkarit
It is signed off. You don't go for regulatory approval before signoff.
I also don't think they can afford to delay the refit any longer given how uncompetitive the product is and given NZ tend to go for a higher fare structure than the competition (going back to the drawing board would add at least another year to things I'd imagine).

This is all a consequence of the decision (2016ish?) to simply replace the 777 cabin with identical seats -- the product was starting to feel dated even then.

I think it was back then Luxton was in cost-reduction mode -- I remember some articles boasting about how they'd saved by changing out the jams in BP to some cheaper brand... an inconsequential change in isolation, but get enough of these cuts it starts to add up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.