Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Any recent experience changing ff program in lounge?

Old May 13, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

AirNZ is miserable and doesn’t allow accrual to NZ Airpoints whilst using my *G status on TG. Whilst it is possible to have 2 programs in the system (FQTV and FQTS), Airpoints T&C now expressly forbids this (see quote below). This means if I want lounge access and and extra 20kg checked bags I must use the TG ff#, and so it is impossible to build status with NZ, whilst enjoying Star Alliance benefits.

This policy from AirNZ is not consistent with Star Alliance, which states lounge access etc just requires you to show your Gold card of an eligible program.

For domestic flights, the fare class is usually non-earning to TG, so I use my TG*G in the booking to access the *A benefits, and make a retrospective claim to NZ. Annoying, but provides the result sought.

I have upcoming long-haul Y travel, which is a flexi fare, and so the accrual would go to TG and retrospective claim probably would not work, or be difficult. I have used the app to change ff# in the lounge in the past for domestic sectors, but that functionality seemed no longer possible, hence the retrospective claim.

An alternate method would be to initially have my TG ff# in the booking, and once settled in the lounge ask staff to change to my NZ number. This should also be possible at the gate.

Has anyone changed their ff# between programs in the AKL NZ or LAX *A lounges?
How did staff react to the request?
Did the change flow through to all subsequent sectors?

Trying to determine if I can be bothered accruing to NZ for this trip to the East Coast given the mucking around likely…

When you book your travel, you may only specify one Airline's loyalty programme or frequent flyer programme in your booking. Your loyalty or frequent flyer points will be credited to your chosen programme and you may only access the benefits of the chosen programme for that travel. For example, you cannot earn Airpoints Dollars or Status Points and use the benefits of another Airline's loyalty programme or frequent flyer programme. In addition, you cannot use the benefits of the Airpoints programme and earn loyalty or frequent flyer points with another programme.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 13, 2022 at 3:02 pm
Old May 19, 2022, 4:25 am

I have not done this recently but wouldn't be surprised if it was frowned upon or not "allowed". I recall when they changed their stance to the situation you describe and the lounge agents I spoke with would not have allowed what you are describing. It would also depend where you are travelling - lounges outside of NZ may not have the ability to easily change boarding pass, or struggle with the FQTV/FQTS combination.

I am in a similar situation and I just put domestic to AirNZ (and can therefore use the app etc and don't have any mucking around) and international to my A*G (so can use *G benefits e.g. baggage and lounge).

Let us know how you get on if you decide to try it.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 8:12 pm

[Given the OP had read this post, I have deleted the content so as not to give NZ lurkers any new ideas]
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Last edited by akl_cat; May 20, 2022 at 8:42 pm
Old May 20, 2022, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
I
I am in a similar situation and I just put domestic to AirNZ (and can therefore use the app etc and don't have any mucking around) and international to my A*G (so can use *G benefits e.g. baggage and lounge).
It is quite possible to add NZ flights to the app that hold my TG ff# just by manually entering the PNR, as there is no backwards-syncing to my AirPoints account. I have found this to be useful to ensure I can hold all of my NZ PNRs in the app on my phone.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:44 pm

I was talking about the AirNZ app - is that what you meant?
When my flights get booked as long as my airports number is in the booking I only need the app (assuming domestic) in order to travel, which means I don't have to juggle booing refs etc.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
I was talking about the AirNZ app - is that what you meant?
When my flights get booked as long as my airports number is in the booking I only need the app (assuming domestic) in order to travel, which means I don't have to juggle booing refs etc.

Yes. I book AirNZ flights using my TG*G ff# and so there is no association to my Airpoints account. I then add the booking to the AirNz app manually using the PNR. This allows me to do all of the usual kinds of changes to the booking using the app.

The key point is that the AirNZ app does not sync these manually added flights back to my Airpoints account, so the booking exists only in the app (as long as I don’t use my NZ ff#).

Another observation is that AirNZ has stopped providing access to the ff seating during booking or prior to checkin. However, checking in using a kiosk opens the ff seating.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.