Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Call center hold times increasing while on hold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Call center hold times increasing while on hold?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Top of climb
I’ve found ever since the new “intelligent” voice recognition phone system rolled out wait times have been worse.
I agree.

I suppose it triages calls for most pax, but for well informed FTers with specific questions, I find it slow and irritating. I have been offered call-backs 50% of the time, which I prefer over being on hold.
Old May 3, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
OMG so i called vodafone customer service and they have literally the same voice prompt system that ANZ is now using, with the same voice and the weirdly pronounced "Kia Ora" at the start, and the same bizarre hybrid of voice and needing to type. Its such an awful system. Whoever is selling this though is clearly making some traction given both Vodafone and ANZ are using it.

While Jetstar is in many respects inferior to AirNZ I fly them quite a lot domestically and they have a really efficient online chat system where you can get things sorted with an agent. No status needed and faster than the NZ phone system even with status
Old May 3, 2022, 6:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Agree. My recent call with Air NZ for something that online/app wouldn't let me do I was on hold for 2 hours 46 minutes. I have elite status. No significant weather or other disruptions that day, nor any change in travel restrictions.

My last agent interaction on JQ via chat I had a wait of maybe a minute.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Agree. My recent call with Air NZ for something that online/app wouldn't let me do I was on hold for 2 hours 46 minutes. I have elite status. No significant weather or other disruptions that day, nor any change in travel restrictions.

My last agent interaction on JQ via chat I had a wait of maybe a minute.
Think of us with no status at all with NZ …

I have been on hold longer with QF, but 3h34m was testing my perseverance!

Old May 9, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Saw this on Grounded Kiwi's FP page, many anecdotal reports of three plus hours on hold.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...T7QJPN66EM/Air New Zealand is on the hunt for 200 contact centre workers after some customers have been left waiting for two hours to talk to staff.

The airline says that unacceptably long wait times are the result of a surge in contact centre calls as Kiwis start to book flights and have more complex inquiries than before the pandemic.

''We are working really hard to get the resource ramped up, we acknowledge that we're not providing the customer service level that we would like to,'' said Air New Zealand chief customer and sales officer Leanne Geraghty.
The airline is now trying to recruit 200 contact centre staff but the tight job market means it may have to redeploy some staff to other parts of the business in the meantime.
She said the roles are full-time permanent ones that start with annual salaries of around $55,000. They are based at the airline's headquarters in downtown Auckland or at Concentrix in Mt Albert.
''We're working with an organisation that [recently] let some contact centre people go and working really hard to get out the message that these are great opportunities.''
There are now 250 contact centre staff who are dealing with up to 10,000 calls a day, a volume that is far greater than before the pandemic.
Previously around one in eight customers called the airline before travel but now it's one in three.
This is leading to not only more calls but also longer call times, with the average call handling time being around 16 minutes – approximately 50 per cent longer than pre-Covid.

While there were online options, the extra layers of complexity meant many weren't able to complete their bookings without help from the contact centre. Customers needed help trying to locate their credit, may have multiple credits they want to combine or use with a different type of payment.
''While we have been recruiting into our contact centre since December last year, we just can't keep up with the number of calls. At the moment, it's taking us a lot longer to respond to customers than we would like, with some waiting hours to speak to someone,'' Geraghty said.
''This is frustrating for our customers and stressful for our teams and we'd like to thank everyone for their patience."
The airline operated 200 international flights last week, about 40 per cent of its pre-Covid network and was relaunching other destinations during the coming months.
"The fact that travel is rebounding quicker than we expected is a really positive thing but that comes with its challenges."
For many customers, these trips will be their first in more than two years, and it's different to what it used to be, said Geraghty.
''The new travel environment is complex, and what we're hearing from our customers is that they have a preference to speak to a person rather than booking online or using an app."
Training of new recruits would take two months.
Old May 15, 2022, 2:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Nearly 3 hours on hold for me (elite status) the other week for something that could not be done online or in the app.
codyc1515 likes this.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 21, 2022 at 3:47 pm
Old May 15, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Yea it's pretty poor that you are only allowed to apply for 2 flight credits per booking online. If you need to use more you need to call and wait, which is a very inefficient use of the call centre for something that should be simple to do online. If you can combine two why not three or four... but hey why make it easy for people to use their credits?!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:11 pm

They are now publishing the wait times in the site:
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travel-alerts

Need to scroll down a bit
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Just to throw out my most recent experience, a family member had a flight that needed to be changed so I called on her behalf as an elite member since I was used to getting picked up within 15-20 minutes. Over an hour later I had to hang up. My family member then called and got picked up within 40 minutes, so right now, the times are varying a lot, although the one common element is no matter what your wait time is, it will inevitably be LONG.

Originally Posted by johnnyfive
Yea it's pretty poor that you are only allowed to apply for 2 flight credits per booking online. If you need to use more you need to call and wait, which is a very inefficient use of the call centre for something that should be simple to do online. If you can combine two why not three or four... but hey why make it easy for people to use their credits?!
It is terrible but one thing you can do if you have a lot is to call up and then ask for all credits to be combined into a single credit, if you haven't already.

​​​​​​​Strangely, once they do that, it can take up to a week for them to actually go in and combine them. It was one annoying long phone call + wait, but I ended up combining a huge number together into a single credit which was very convenient.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm guessing it's a waste of time trying to buy a gotta go fare at present!
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:41 am

EP1 number is still answering within a few rings. Have you tried just getting EP1 instead?
prp343 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codyc1515
EP1 number is still answering within a few rings. Have you tried just getting EP1 instead?
“let them eat cake!”
jawnbc and prp343 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:40 am

Waiting over an hour to get through right now as *S. Need to link 3 bookings and change the type of 1, both of which cannot be done online for some arcane reason.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Got a call back after about 20 minutes - GE here.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Three calls needed today. First 10 mins; second was a call back (after 45 mins) , and third was 35 mins. NZ*S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.