Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

When will Air NZ release flights to Cook Islands?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will Air NZ release flights to Cook Islands?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
I thought the additional flexibility is for flights up to 30th June only?
That is for domestic, international is currently end of year.
Need to spend by June 2022, currently.
Old May 6, 2021, 4:29 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Well update on that. BP prices fell and were hilariously cheaper than PE by $180. So I turned my previous PE flights into credit and bought BP straight out for my upcoming trip too. BP cabin is almost fully sold, the PE cabin was also almost fully sold. Premium travel customers are jumping to the Cook Islands at a much higher percentage rate than economy passangers.

Every time I refreshed I got a different price. One minute it was $700. Then it was $900. Then it was $1000. Then it was $700 again.

This whole credit thing is great. I have another BP flight in October school holidays to the Cook Islands and a BP flight to Melbourne and can just cancel whichever one I don't want to take closer to the time, while getting to take advantage of low cost airfares now. That's three trips booked to Rarotonga, let's see if I make it a fourth by the end of the year, haha!

Air NZ was allowing me to book straight through to Aitutaki. They then removed it because you have a ridiculous, impossible 1 hour connection to make the flight. Not only that though but Air Rarotonga told me that currently you need to be on Rarotonga for 24 hours anyway, before flying onto a smaller island, although they are seeing if they can lift that restriction.

​​​​​​So Air NZ removed it for all of their June flights, but you can book it from July onwards, still with that ridiculous one hour connection. I can only assume that they are hoping Air Rarotonga by then will add in a later flight and they can switch the flights to those instead.
I just upgraded my AKL-BNE Works ticket to PE, and got an $40 refund with the current Tasman sale that is on.
Old May 6, 2021, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Nice! I will have to see if my previous Melbourne booked flights are cheaper than when I initially bought them... even if it is hard to imagine, wanting to travel to Melbourne for a holiday right now, we'll see how vaccinations change things. I hope they change things!

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; May 7, 2021 at 12:00 am
Old May 7, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Nice! I will have to see if my previous Melbourne booked flights are cheaper than when I initially bought them... even if it is hard to imagine, wanting to travel to Melbourne for a holiday right now, we'll see how vaccinations change things. I hope they change things!
Melbourne felt safer than Auckland the other week when I was there, way more mask use, people were very considerate.

Oh, and the incredible food + museums are still there, too.
Old May 7, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by nzkarit
That is for domestic, international is currently end of year.
Need to spend by June 2022, currently.
Sorry I am confused. Flexibility for flights if you pay with cash/airpoints now (not credit) is only for flights departing up to 30 June 2021.
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/pres...re-flexibility
Customers who book or currently hold tickets for international flights scheduled to depart up until 11.59 pm on 30 June 2021 will now be able to:
  • Hold the value of their fare in credit for rebooking until 30 June 2022; or
  • Amend the date of their flight with change fees waived (normal fare difference may still apply)

Is the earlier comment regarding being able to cancel and re book related to flights credits that were held with AirNZ?

Thanks
Old May 7, 2021, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

When I booked, the travel had to be between now and December 31 to get that additional flexibility. I don't know, if that has changed. But we are not talking about buying fares with cash anyway, we are talking about how we can buy flexible fares with credit so the credit/cash rules might be different.

I have a flight booked to the USA for December that I am now 99.9% certain isn't happening that I booked with credit because I knew I had nothing to lose.

Originally Posted by samyoull
Melbourne felt safer than Auckland the other week when I was there, way more mask use, people were very considerate. Oh, and the incredible food + museums are still there, too.
If Auckland goes into lockdown, I can still go home. Not with Melbourne, is what I mean.
Old May 7, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by samyoull
Melbourne felt safer than Auckland the other week when I was there, way more mask use, people were very considerate.

Oh, and the incredible food + museums are still there, too.
New Zealand’s covid management plan is based on hope, and panic reactions....

There is no little restrictions in place in New Zealand right now, that any small outbreak e.g. Sydney is need to be treated with an pain reaction.
Old May 10, 2021, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Stuff and the Stuff comments section, once again bringing your daily doom & gloom by highlighting the most unlikely, corner case scenario:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/30...s-are-complete
Old May 11, 2021, 1:39 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Stuff and the Stuff comments section, once again bringing your daily doom & gloom by highlighting the most unlikely, corner case scenario:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/30...s-are-complete
It's so strange that the author is so afraid of going to the Cook Islands and does not mention a single word about Australia where there are far more flows of passengers and way more riskier.

The other day even with the pause of SYD flights, I managed to return home from AKL on schedule as NZ didn't cancel all the outbound flights. Even if they did, I could still opt to go home via MEL or BNE. Those who caught up in SYD were only stranded for 3 days, not even in lockdown. The benefits of the travel bubble clearly outweigh the risks by a far distance.
kiwicyclo likes this.

Last edited by Xiaotung; May 11, 2021 at 1:44 am
Old May 11, 2021, 4:37 am
Original Poster

I mean, me and my family have very low risk tolerance thresholds, and even for us we are not concerned.

I think it is a legitimate concern that you may get stuck in the Cook Islands due to an outbreak back home. And so everyone has to be prepared for that. I am prepared for that and will deal with it if it happens. I can acknowledge that risk.

But the scenario raised in which covid actually reaches the Cook Islands due to a break at the border being missed, and then that person not showing symptoms for the 14 days you have to be in New Zealand before you take your flight? And the idea that someone coming home would want to go straight to the Cook Islands and not spend time in New Zealand? What? Come on.

​​​​If catching covid is the concern, you are far more likely to catch it in New Zealand than the Cook Islands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.