Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

When will Air NZ release flights to Cook Islands?

Old Mar 25, 2021, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite

Exciting news on the bubble!
​​​​​​
I am keen to lock in flights. But just wondering: do you think Air NZ will release more flights for May/June/July and if so - when? I don't want to miss out. I am sure they will get snapped up fast!
Old Mar 25, 2021, 10:15 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Well they had already released flights from the 12th of April. I think they will wait for an firm date, before they load anymore.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

That's fair. Fingers crossed we get some larger planes flying again!
Old May 2, 2021, 11:09 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Bubble in play from 17/5 . . . . I'm in!
Old May 2, 2021, 11:12 pm

Programs: NZ GE, Marriot Platinum
What are the chances of direct flights from WLG the same way we had directs to Fiji?
Old May 2, 2021, 11:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by MrLovebucket
What are the chances of direct flights from WLG the same way we had directs to Fiji?
Pretty high. They were being planned.
Old May 2, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
This morning there was daily flights to RAR for that week in May now at 4:30pm they are sold out on most days for the next couple of weeks.
Old May 2, 2021, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
This morning there was daily flights to RAR for that week in May now at 4:30pm they are sold out on most days for the next couple of weeks.
Will be many Cook Islanders heading home. Some have been stranded in Kiwiland for a long time
Old May 3, 2021, 2:12 am
Original Poster

They aren't sold out: they are just not up online properly. It has been a .... show. The agents can't see the flights. They told me to check again tomorrow and they should be fully loaded. I managed to snag a business class upgrade for one of my flights, the other one I had already booked is broken in my app.

I have a trip I plan to book in October and those flights also haven't been loaded yet. They are switching them to 789 planes.
DrinkSlinger likes this.

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; May 3, 2021 at 2:24 am
Old May 3, 2021, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Update: May and early June flights are back in. They have changed from daily flights to just a few a week, but switched to the 789 plane. Frustrating but it is what it is, my flights both ways for my May/early June trip got cancelled and I had to switch dates. But now I get to fly business class again, so I will take the date switch up!

It was the same cost to book BP than book PE and then upgrade for one of my flights, so I just booked BP straight out. But for my first trip, I have booked PE as that was much cheaper and lodged upgrades. There is a lot of BP availability, so I will keep my fingers crossed.
​​​​​​
DrinkSlinger likes this.

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; May 3, 2021 at 5:41 am
Old May 5, 2021, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Well update on that. BP prices fell and were hilariously cheaper than PE by $180. So I turned my previous PE flights into credit and bought BP straight out for my upcoming trip too. BP cabin is almost fully sold, the PE cabin was also almost fully sold. Premium travel customers are jumping to the Cook Islands at a much higher percentage rate than economy passangers.

Every time I refreshed I got a different price. One minute it was $700. Then it was $900. Then it was $1000. Then it was $700 again.

This whole credit thing is great. I have another BP flight in October school holidays to the Cook Islands and a BP flight to Melbourne and can just cancel whichever one I don't want to take closer to the time, while getting to take advantage of low cost airfares now. That's three trips booked to Rarotonga, let's see if I make it a fourth by the end of the year, haha!

Air NZ was allowing me to book straight through to Aitutaki. They then removed it because you have a ridiculous, impossible 1 hour connection to make the flight. Not only that though but Air Rarotonga told me that currently you need to be on Rarotonga for 24 hours anyway, before flying onto a smaller island, although they are seeing if they can lift that restriction.

​​​​​​So Air NZ removed it for all of their June flights, but you can book it from July onwards, still with that ridiculous one hour connection. I can only assume that they are hoping Air Rarotonga by then will add in a later flight and they can switch the flights to those instead.

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; May 5, 2021 at 3:06 pm
Old May 6, 2021, 12:27 am

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
This whole credit thing is great. I have another BP flight in October school holidays to the Cook Islands and a BP flight to Melbourne and can just cancel whichever one I don't want to take closer to the time, while getting to take advantage of low cost airfares now. That's three trips booked to Rarotonga, let's see if I make it a fourth by the end of the year, haha!
Thanks for sharing. Lets hope AirNZ dont read this forum and remove this fares in credit flexibility
Old May 6, 2021, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Thanks for sharing. Lets hope AirNZ dont read this forum and remove this fares in credit flexibility
People do this all the time with the flexible domestic tickets, it's nothing new.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
People do this all the time with the flexible domestic tickets, it's nothing new.
Yes it is! Buying a domestic FlexiDate is quite different to the current additional flexibility AirNZ is temporarily offering customers for all fare types.

The latter will be removed when AirNZ judges it is no longer needed - I doubt that will be soon, as Covid continues to disrupt travel.
Old May 6, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
I thought the additional flexibility is for flights up to 30th June only?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.