Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fast bag

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:42 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
Fast bag was 15kg from what I recall. I also believe the size limit was a regular medium sized suitcase.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Fast bag

ATR crew today said Fastbag will be back from 21st June. No other details available except you will need to have a ‘seat+bag’ or higher ticket and to check it in as fast bag min 30min prior to flight.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by eaglenz
ATR crew today said Fastbag will be back from 21st June. No other details available except you will need to have a ‘seat+bag’ or higher ticket and to check it in as fast bag min 30min prior to flight.
Having to purchase a seat+bag fae? Hmm... I'll just keep taking my bag onboard with me going forward.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 2:50 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ZaphB
Having to purchase a seat+bag fae? Hmm... I'll just keep taking my bag onboard with me going forward.
You've always needed to have a seat+bag fare to use Fastbag. It's been a core requirement from launch.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
You've always needed to have a seat+bag fare to use Fastbag. It's been a core requirement from launch.
Not once, ever, have I purchased a seat+bag fare to use Fastbag. Not a word has been said to me.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 11:54 pm

Not once, ever, have I purchased a seat+bag fare to use Fastbag. Not a word has been said to me.
Think I was early 2020 they were starting to ask to view boarding passes on random flights. As before then don't think they ever enforced it.Often not even a person at the cart to check if have a blue tag on it or not.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 12:14 am

And that's why we can't have nice things.. and why this change has been implemented. Abuse something and you find it ultimately goes away.
kiwicyclo likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: Air New Zealand
And that's why we can't have nice things.. and why this change has been implemented. Abuse something and you find it ultimately goes away.
+1.

The airline is not stupid. It's the few that spoil it for the majority who are abiding by the rules. It's been no secret you need a Checked In baggage allowance to use the Fast Bag benefit.
kiwicyclo likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 3:03 pm

Do you pay for things at the supermarket?
bce1 and kiwicyclo like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 4:23 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
In defence of ZaphB, I also fairly frequently used Fastbag on fares where I didn't pay for a checked bag, and I don't think it was particularly clear or obvious. I always thought it was positioned as a way of making the kind of carry-on which would be no problem in a jet aircraft more feasible in the turboprops with their smaller bins etc, without forcing you to endure a flight with no legroom, rather than a 'checked bag for free' style deal. If nothing is ever said at time of dropping off your bag outside the plane, how would you ever find out that you were supposed to be on at least S+B fare?

Once I found out that you were supposed to have paid for a bag I always did after that, but no need to pile onto the poster for just pointing out that nothing was ever said.

Glad to hear FB is coming back... though I have to say, for me the ability to avoid check-in was just as big an appeal. Meant that you didn't need to worry about arriving at the airport before cutoff time for checked bags (which admittedly is usually pretty lax at regional airports, but still an appreciated benefit).
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta
In defence of ZaphB, I also fairly frequently used Fastbag on fares where I didn't pay for a checked bag, and I don't think it was particularly clear or obvious. I always thought it was positioned as a way of making the kind of carry-on which would be no problem in a jet aircraft more feasible in the turboprops with their smaller bins etc, without forcing you to endure a flight with no legroom, rather than a 'checked bag for free' style deal. If nothing is ever said at time of dropping off your bag outside the plane, how would you ever find out that you were supposed to be on at least S+B fare?
Exactly. It never was clear, and enforcement was and still is to a certain extent non-existent. Bags frequently appear from those that are not eligible. Sometimes they are removed, other times not, but in the beginning, never.

Of course now we have the usual suspects taking aim at my statement without any context, just like the school yard. Reading what I wrote might help, especially the part that state "I'll just keep taking my bag onboard with me going forward." Hopefully it makes them feel better about themselves.

Last edited by ZaphB; Jun 15, 2021 at 12:57 am
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:13 am

Yes enforcement was never a big thing, but to suggest it was "never clear that you needed to buy a bag to use it" really is blatantly untrue.

Since the inception of Fast Bag in 2010 the Air NZ website has been very clear that it's for checked luggage, there are even 11 years worth of pages on wayback machine if you want to view every incarnation.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:34 am

Yes enforcement was never a big thing, but to suggest it was "never clear that you needed to buy a bag to use it" really is blatantly untrue.

Since the inception of Fast Bag in 2010 the Air NZ website has been very clear that it's for checked luggage, there are even 11 years worth of pages on wayback machine if you want to view every incarnation.
No, it is not "blatantly untrue". Ask the average person boarding who sees an trolley marked "fast bag" who is eligible to use it and see what their response is? Ask what others think when the FA states that a bag is too big, then proceeds to place it on the FB trolley in front of others? How many average Air NZ customers check the website for that information? You are not the average Air NZ customer, and your perspective colours your opinions and answers.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:26 am

So you've saying the average Air NZ customer with status would have never read the Air NZ website to see the benefits of their status? How would they know what their benefits were?

Anybody who has done this in the last 11 years should be familiar with the requirements for Fast Bag. Because people have chosen to exploit them it's meant Air NZ have finally decided to make changes.
cavemanzk, bce1 and HighFlyingKiwi like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:05 pm

So you've saying the average Air NZ customer with status would have never read the Air NZ website to see the benefits of their status? How would they know what their benefits were?

Anybody who has done this in the last 11 years should be familiar with the requirements for Fast Bag. Because people have chosen to exploit them it's meant Air NZ have finally decided to make changes.
No, that's not what I said at all. Some people see the trolley and put their bags on it regardless, some people including my Koru card carrying colleague noticed the sign that says this is a service for (amongst others) Koru members, and promptly put her bag on the trolley despite not having purchased a seat+bag (or great) fare. There's nothing on the trolley to say otherwise is there. You are making very broad assumptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.