Fast bag

Old Jan 15, 21, 1:41 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: Nz*G
Posts: 101
Fast bag

Hey guys

is fast bag back in action yet? I recall reading that airnz used COVID as a reason to suspend it.

I hope itís back, was one of the best perks
Lpmnz is offline  
Old Jan 15, 21, 2:23 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,498
Originally Posted by Lpmnz View Post
Hey guys

is fast bag back in action yet? I recall reading that airnz used COVID as a reason to suspend it.

I hope itís back, was one of the best perks
It seems dead and not coming back. Have also heard it helps ontime performance, as not have to weight and balance calcs, etc once everyone on board. And also on arrival they now work on a the stairs, etc rather than offloading the fast bags before letting anyone off.
nzkarit is online now  
Old Jan 15, 21, 3:52 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hokitika, New Zealand
Programs: Air New Zealand Gold
Posts: 94
Talking to DUD lounge agent the other day about it. Even the Ground Staff are not actually sure what is happening with it. Apparently it is still in review. I highly doubt we will see it back. It is a double edged sword. It makes for a very quick deplane, but God I miss it!!! Certainly the Lounge Agent said they have been heralding some complaints about it!

Last edited by HighFlyingKiwi; Jan 15, 21 at 5:04 pm
HighFlyingKiwi is offline  
Old Jan 15, 21, 4:01 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,963
Iíve found overhead space to be allot less of an issue to recently, with the lack of overseas travellers.

It seems the average carry-on bag of New Zealanders, are smaller than an certain country that we used to have an lot of visitors from.

Iíve found travelling I the ATR/Q300 with an soft Citta overnight bag to be an ok experience (long gave up on roll-a-boards.
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Jan 17, 21, 12:51 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: Nz*G
Posts: 101
Ok thanks for the replies everyone. Itís a pity itís gone. A fairly simple, cheap but highly valued thing !
Lpmnz is offline  
Old Jan 17, 21, 7:58 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,598
Agree that it's a double edged sword. It's really good for being able to pack a full size carry on and not have to find space for it or check a bag in. But not having it makes deplaning just that much faster - very noticeable on all my recent regional flights. I've adjusted now and just pack a soft duffel type bag as well and maybe a backpack if staying more than a couple nights away (to stuff under the seat) and haven't had any space issues on board.
NZ_Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 17, 21, 11:03 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AKL
Posts: 441
I'm still amazed at the size of some of the rollaboards that people bring on turboprops...and they usually somehow make them fit too. Maybe helped by the low numbers of pax at the moment. I can't see how they can possibly be under the 7 kg limit unless they're full of helium balloons or something.
ps107 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 21, 12:33 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Posts: 1,403
Originally Posted by ps107 View Post
I'm still amazed at the size of some of the rollaboards that people bring on turboprops...and they usually somehow make them fit too. Maybe helped by the low numbers of pax at the moment. I can't see how they can possibly be under the 7 kg limit unless they're full of helium balloons or something.
i think that 7kgs limit (and the size limit) is flouted frequently
cavemanzk likes this.
jeffrocowboy is offline  
Old Jan 18, 21, 11:02 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,963
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy View Post
i think that 7kgs limit (and the size limit) is flouted frequently
Until they fly JQ that one time, and learn there lesion.

Think itís around $60 on JQ if you get caught at the gate with more than 7kg, and you havenít pre purchased additional carry-on.

Cant think of when NZ last checked my carry on weight, I know that tend to more sit around 10kg. The joys of only have an Economy and Economy to fly in at the moment.
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Jan 18, 21, 11:57 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: WLG
Programs: NZ Elite *G, Accor+ Diamond
Posts: 119
Gold status gives a carry-on allowance of 2 bags totaling 14 kg, with a maximum of 10 kg for 1 of them: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/carry-on-baggage
Beckett66 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 21, 4:41 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,774
Originally Posted by Beckett66 View Post
Gold status gives a carry-on allowance of 2 bags totaling 14 kg, with a maximum of 10 kg for 1 of them: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/carry-on-baggage
Star Alliance Gold status enjoys this as well.

However, Koru Club Membership does not give this benefit.
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Jan 19, 21, 10:24 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AKL
Posts: 441
Turning up to a Dash 8 with the theoretical maximum gold allowance seems like a bit of a DYKWIA move.
cavemanzk and eaglenz like this.
ps107 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 21, 8:45 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,009
Originally Posted by ps107 View Post
Turning up to a Dash 8 with the theoretical maximum gold allowance seems like a bit of a DYKWIA move.
I had a Q400 flight in Europe a couple of years ago where an American couple boarded right behind me with 2 x US sized rollaboards as they were clearly taking their kitchen sinks away with them. Watching them try to fit them in the overhead locker (yeah nah) and then under their seat (yeah nah) followed by somehow deciding the row behind them was empty and leaving them there (yeah nah the passengers turned up) was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Jan 19, 21, 11:54 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,963
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
I had a Q400 flight in Europe a couple of years ago where an American couple boarded right behind me with 2 x US sized rollaboards as they were clearly taking their kitchen sinks away with them. Watching them try to fit them in the overhead locker (yeah nah) and then under their seat (yeah nah) followed by somehow deciding the row behind them was empty and leaving them there (yeah nah the passengers turned up) was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Oh you forget how fun it was to take an early morning domestic flight ex AKL, with all the USA connections on board. It was almost better than the onboard quiz on the a320s.

The best one I can remember was taking an Friday Night, MEL-AKL on an a320. That left with roll-a boards in bathrooms for take off / landing as they was so many connecting passengers onboard.
codyc1515 likes this.
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Jan 21, 21, 7:37 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NZ
Programs: NZ GE, QF S
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by ps107 View Post
Turning up to a Dash 8 with the theoretical maximum gold allowance seems like a bit of a DYKWIA move.
If they're entitled, what's the issue? If there's a space related issue on that flight but the bags meet the criteria, then the FA can always ask them politely if they'd mind putting them in the hold. No problem.

It would seem that it's becoming socially unacceptable to actually use the services that are offered.
ZaphB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: