Search

Current INTL Inflight Service

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2020, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Current INTL Inflight Service

Hello all,

Will be flying AKL-LAX in Business on the (now) twice weekly NZ2 later this month. Im curious what pax should expect as for inflight services during this time. What modifications are there to inflight meals/timing etc? I ask to plan ahead if I need to eat before arriving at the airport or can dine on board. Also need to plan if I should bring snacks.

I take this service normally 2-3x a year but obviously this will be the most unique trip. As many of you know, traditionally its dinner after departure and breakfast prior to arrival.

Thank you,
Old May 8, 2020, 5:25 pm

I flew SYD-AKL on 25 April in PE and it was basically the regular service with some minor modifications. I would assume business will be similarly unaffected. The meals came with a lot of the plastic still on and a random selection of bread on the tray instead of being able to pick out of the basket.

There were even Kiaora magazines.

No pre-descent boiled sweets though

And no edible coffee cup.

Last edited by ps107; May 8, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 10:08 pm

Currently on NZ 945 Rar to Akl and with only 39 passengers great service. Food average but crew very attentive. While we paid business class and ended in economy no point complaining as world has changed. Just find if frustrating so so many experts in Rarotonga think all back to normal by July, if it is wish they would say where they got info from.
Only complaint would be once you get into departure lounge at Raro no duty free or chance to buy even water.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Rustydfa
Currently on NZ 945 Rar to Akl and with only 39 passengers great service. Food average but crew very attentive. While we paid business class and ended in economy no point complaining as world has changed. Just find if frustrating so so many experts in Rarotonga think all back to normal by July, if it is wish they would say where they got info from.
Only complaint would be once you get into departure lounge at Raro no duty free or chance to buy even water.
Ngl, kind of excited to hear that. I had a big famiy trip planned there in August. Still crossing my fingers it might happen!
Old May 9, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Business service is currently the premium economy meal service set up, everything on tray. You still get dinner and breakfast. No IFE ordering, no spirits available for some reason. Didn’t see snacks, so bring some.
Old May 13, 2020, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Unrelated question for the expert’s. Every single day air New Zealand is running 2 to 3 flights a day from Auckland to LAX. They have changed nZ1 and NZ2 back to the 777 and taken the more desirable 787 and put it on these other two flights starting with the numbe 6xxx.

I’ve tried but to no avail book myself on the 787 flights as it appears air New Zealand is only offering the 777 option on nZ2/1. Are these other flights purely cargo on retrofitted 787’s?

Last edited by DLATL777; May 13, 2020 at 3:16 am
Old May 13, 2020, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Unrelated question for the expert’s. Every single day air New Zealand is running 2 to 3 flights a day from Auckland to LAX. They have changed nZ1 and NZ2 to the 777 and taken the more desirable 787 and put it on these other two flights starting with the numbe 6xxx.

I’ve tried but to no avail book myself on the 787 flights as it appears air New Zealand is only offering the 777 option on nZ2/1. Are these other flights purely cargo on retrofitted 787’s?
Those 6xxx flights are cargo flights.

AFAIK no planes have had their interior remove yet. And then the 772 was earmarked for that.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Unrelated question for the expert’s. Every single day air New Zealand is running 2 to 3 flights a day from Auckland to LAX. They have changed nZ1 and NZ2 back to the 777 and taken the more desirable 787 and put it on these other two flights starting with the numbe 6xxx.

Not sure why you think the 787 is more desirable – NZ's 77W is more comfortable in all cabin classes, especially J. I guess cabin pressure?
Old May 13, 2020, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samyoull
Not sure why you think the 787 is more desirable – NZ's 77W is more comfortable in all cabin classes, especially J. I guess cabin pressure?
Not just that.

For me in J, its less people 1-1-1 vs the 1-2-1 style set up. Space is at a premium during all of this of course. As you mentioned I also feel a lot less dry and tired at the end of a 12+ hour flight on the 787 with the cabin altitude and humidification. Plus not that its really worth much but I like to believe the air filtration system could be better-but I dont know thats actually true, just using what I know of the cabin altitude.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by samyoull
The narrower BP seats have never been a big worry for me. Yes I notice it, but it's not the end of the world.

PE on the other hand is great with the smaller cabins.

I was never a huge believer on the 789 cabin pressure argument in the early days, but after a lot more flights I'm totally sold on it. It does make a huge difference.
DLATL777 likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
The jet lag improvements for the 787 are very real, especially for a long journey to Europe. For me the A380s are better than 777 in this regard as well.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:39 pm

Mini Trip Report - Current Air NZ Long Haul Service in J

Travelled on NZ2 last week. Thought there might be some people here interested in the inflight experience.

NZ2 - 777-300ER
Unsure on specific load factor. Many spare seats available in all classes. Other passengers in J were seated in A and K seats.

Service was great, and the staff on board were very attentive. I noticed no differences in the nature of drink top-ups, offers to set up beds, or general helpfulness of the crew. However, the inflight ordering system remained disabled for the entire flight.

The snack basket was available in the galley, with OSM bars, cookies, chocolate etc as per usual.

Pre-departure beverage was offered, but no hot towel. Amenity kit provided, but no menu. Crew proceeded through the cabin before takeoff and asked all J passengers "Chicken, Lamb or Salmon". Further meal details were hard to come by, but I had the impression that the full dietary info was available upon request.

Post-departure beverage service took place as usual, with the exception of a bag of chips instead of the usual warm nuts.

Dinner service was all on one tray. Possibly the same as the Premium Economy meals, but that just might've been me getting fooled by the plating. I chose the lamb (which was quite tasty), along with the Wairau River Chardonnay and the Te Mata Estate Gamay Noir. Also worth noting that it was served quite quickly after take off, although this might have been due to the low load-factor.

Dessert was a Kapiti ice cream tub, which was larger than the ones usually served in Economy.

Breakfast was again served on one tray, with all the usual side options available. Main meal options were "Omelette, scrambled eggs or pancakes". The service took place two hours prior to arrival.

LAX Arrival

Many passengers donned masks and gloves as we pulled up to the gate at TBIT. Going through US immigration was fast and efficient, although it was alarming to be asked no Covid-19 questions whatsoever. No guidance was given for any isolation or distancing requirements, or what I should do if I started feeling unwell.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Wow! Are you planning on staying in the USA, or will you be coming home and going to a hotel for 2 weeks?
Old May 20, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Thanks for the meal pics -- interesting to see that it's pretty much a Premium Economy meal (with the cheese on the tray) / trans-tasman style business meal with the casserole dish.

I'm planning myself to do a couple of trips back from the US this year to visit my parents so good to know they have reasonable distancing on board. I do wonder if they are going to roll out the "user paid" model for the 2 week managed isolation hotel stay soon -- I would be keen to be able to choose where I stay for 14 days (and perhaps pay for a bigger room, since that's a long time within four walls!)

I don't see this current situation for long haul changing anytime in the next 12+ months so figuring out my plan ahead (staying away from family for 2 years isn't an option)
Old May 20, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
If NZ would let tourists in with the mandatory 2-week quarantine, I'll be buying my ticket! I have no problem staying cooped up for two weeks if I can then move around more freely afterward. My biggest concern would be the meal service, given I have coeliac disease. But that's not an issue if they won't let me in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.