Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand booking—United Points question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:03 am
Original Poster

I posted this in the United forum but someone suggested I might find the answer here.

I have a question about an Air New Zealand booking that I am working on. I am booking the flight directly through Air New Zealand but would like to credit the flight to United MP account. Information on the NZ website says:Quote:
Sweet Deals Fare Conditions
Quote:
Airpoints™
Economy:
Eligible for Airpoints Dollars & Status Points accrual (may not apply to sectors not operated by Air New Zealand).

No accrual of frequent flyers miles/points with airline partners.

-------------
The actual fare that I am booking is and economy S class.

Will I get the partner PQP for the flight in this case? I am not even sure if I should call NZ or United to find out. I would like to figure out whether it is worth it to book through NZ or if I should do this through United. It is a bit cheaper to book directly with NZ, but don't want to take the flight and get no PQP
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
What is the flight or route? Does it involve NZ7/NZ8 between AKL and SFO?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Yes. On the way it is NZ7 SFO-AKL
return is NZ2 AKL-LAX then a united flight back to SFO.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I think this page may help answer your questions?
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...w-zealand.html
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
I think this page may help answer your questions?
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...w-zealand.html
The page says that I should get 50% for an S-fare booking, which this is. However, I am concerned about the language in the Sweet Deals Fare Conditions which says:
Airpoints™
Economy:
Eligible for Airpoints Dollars & Status Points accrual (may not apply to sectors not operated by Air New Zealand).

I don't know whether the United page is correct or the information on the NZ site which suggests that there will be no "miles/points" accrual with airline parters. Not sure whether to contact United or New Zealand to figure it out.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:22 pm

I think you'll find that S class only credits to one or two star alliance airlines, hence the line about not being able to credit to partners.

I've successfully credited S class to United before, it can be done.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henrus
I think you'll find that S class only credits to one or two star alliance airlines, hence the line about not being able to credit to partners.

I've successfully credited S class to United before, it can be done.
A general guide only (not always 100% accurate). Many Star ffp's get 0% on S fares
https://www.wheretocredit.com/air-new-zealand/s
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Could there be specific fare rules for the OP’s selected ‘Sweet Deal’, as indicated by the text, that trump any usual accrual to UA for the indicated fare class?

I’m thinking of the days of reverse auctions which had very restrictive fare conditions, more so than the fare sub-class alone would indicate.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. It crosses my mind that there are two ways to read this sentence:

Economy:

It could mean, that you get no miles/points for flights on partner metal.
It could also mean that this sale is more restrictive and you get no miles/points for any of the flights in Economy (even on NZ metal).

I'm thinking that perhaps it does mean that if part of your flight is on a partner metal (ie United) that it does not earn any miles/points in the NZ program.
Still a little nervous about it, but thinking that perhaps the sentence is actually referring to the possibility that some of the flight could be on non-NZ metal and therefore not miles/points earning.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I wouldn't be too nervous about it. The amount you will earn will be extremely insignificant regardless at 50% so if you miss out: tbh you didn't miss out on a whole lot a anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.