Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Unpopular Opinion: Air NZ is my favourite business class seat for overnight flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unpopular Opinion: Air NZ is my favourite business class seat for overnight flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by samjnz
For the first time in years, I ended up in a middle BP seat last week and interestingly it was probably about 2 inches shorter in bed length than at the windows (since I hadn’t heard anyone talk about these seats being smaller before) — I assume that’s because there isn’t the space taken by the air vent cover.

For me that was a really uncomfortable sleep since there was no way to fit my legs in.

I know the angle is different on the 787s, but is there any difference in bed length? (All the long haul routes I fly — sfo, lax, lhr — are operated by the 777s so I’ve never tried the 787 on a night flight yet but been tempted to try flying home via HNL sometime)
Any reason why you didn't just lift the ottoman off, or ask the crew if you don't know how to do this?
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Everyone on here always refers to me as a "he" but I'm actually a she, and a small she. I am 5"2.
My wife is "tall" like you, and I'm not much more, and we are both small otherwise. Being short has its own issues, and not all seats are comfortable for shorter people.
In the last couple of years I've done long-haul or TT in all the NZ J seats, SQ A380, 777-300, and A350 (MEL-WLG), QF A330 and OS "Throne seat" (and LX version of the same). I've also flown the current Lufthansa seat. They all have their pluses and minuses. The OS seat has lots of space to put things, but is very hard. I do like the various SQ seats for sitting and privacy, as well as space. They are not as comfortable sleeping, but adequate.
I find the NZ seats comfortable for sitting and sleeping, probably the best, particularly the 777, but really don't like the 787 version of it for every other reason. It is cramped, not private, the table is smaller and the drink tray is in the wrong place. There is very little space to put things and the window is too far behind you.
So I am perfectly happy to fly on the NZ 777's for years to come, but actively try and avoid the 787 where possible because of the seat.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
The best thing about it for me has nothing to do with the seat - it's the mattress they give you. For me, a newer seat design that's more comfortable for sitting, along with the mattress would be best of both worlds.
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Yeah, it's the mattress and ridiculously good pillows that does it, rather than the design. I sorely missed it on their leased EVA planes. I was so disappointed that they didn't have them, or at least, I wasn't aware that they did. Never again will I fly them!
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
Agree - hate those leased Eva planes and after doing it once never again after ended up with v sore back
Did my first ever TT on the 789 and found it v narrow and cramped in business, never done an overnight
Almost always on the AKL-LAX-LHR route
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:02 pm

Whilst the NZ bed is exceedingly comfortable I do find it a bit of a tight squeeze around the shoulders.

Unlike most I don't find the SQ bed too hard so that is my favoured seat given the extra room and the fact that you don't see everybody's head & feet.

Generally it boils down to convenience as to who I fly with between SQ & NZ because I still enjoy the NZ seat.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by flykiwifly
Agree - hate those leased Eva planes and after doing it once never again after ended up with v sore back
Did my first ever TT on the 789 and found it v narrow and cramped in business, never done an overnight
Almost always on the AKL-LAX-LHR route
I first did the 787 overnight in September between LAX and RAR. It did feel very cramped. However, I did like being on the left side, although with the lower "seat walls" there was definitely less privacy.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

I did notice on my recent flight on it that the seat was a bit more narrow. Because I am little I still prefer it as I get less jetlag on those planes than the 777s and they are quieter.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Any reason why you didn't just lift the ottoman off, or ask the crew if you don't know how to do this?
Wait, what?! That’s a thing?
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone do this
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize you can. But it is an option! Try it next time 😁
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'd say I notice it off on at least a single seat on probably 50% of flights but unless you're looking out for it you probably wouldn't notice.

I've seen crew proactively ask quite a few pax over the years if they want it removed while making the bed.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:01 pm

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize you can. But it is an option! Try it next time 😁
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'd say I notice it off on at least a single seat on probably 50% of flights but unless you're looking out for it you probably wouldn't notice.

I've seen crew proactively ask quite a few pax over the years if they want it removed while making the bed.
I figured it out by accident when I pushed against the ottoman a little too hard and the end popped off. Made for a great sleep though and after speaking with the crew, I now know it's completely OK to ask too.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Wow! This is a game changer!
Do they just put it in the overhead locker?

I guess it’s like the “chose your own recline position” thing for takeoff that they no longer advertise.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by AviationNZ
I figured it out by accident when I pushed against the ottoman a little too hard and the end popped off. Made for a great sleep though and after speaking with the crew, I now know it's completely OK to ask too.
Ditto. Now I ask for it to be removed on every flight
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
There. I said it. Air NZ is my favourite business class seat for a nighttime flight. I have flown:
Emirates
Qantas
Virgin Australia
Singapore Airlines (oh god... I was not prepared for how hard that bed turned out to be)
Royal Jordanian
Qatar (but the sold style)
And even though they may have fancy mini suites, I still consistently get the best sleep on the Air NZ seat and mattresses. And the ridiculously comfortable pillows.
Totally agree. I've flown all but the last two on your list, and would add to that the current longhaul J products of ANA, Asiana, Malaysian, Cathay, Oman Air, United, Lufthansa, Swiss, Turkish, Malaysian... and NZ wins for sleep comfort (if not privacy). I don't think I've flown an F product that was measurably better for sleep surface comfort (including EY, SQ suites), though they are much more spacious and private.

I've flown on the 777-300, 777-200 and 789. For sure the latter is my favourite.
But you really lost me here. What is it that makes the 789 your favourite? For me, as for most on the board it seems, it's a noticeable step down from the 777s (which, honestly, aren't as nice in terms of layout as the 744 was, although of course the 744 was never updated).

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
For me the sleeping is fine, it's being seated in the 789 that doesn't work for me. I end up with one arm on the divider screen and the arm rest on the left side is so far back it's pointless. The narrowness is only apparent when I am seated. I'm 5'10" and not too round.
I'm the opposite - in seating position it's inferior to 777 but I can live with it; in sleeping position is where I'm much more aware of being cramped.

Originally Posted by West45
The best thing about it for me has nothing to do with the seat - it's the mattress they give you. For me, a newer seat design that's more comfortable for sitting, along with the mattress would be best of both worlds.
I agree that the mattress is the single biggest differentiator... but I do feel the seat's inherent design helps, with one single flat surface + ottoman rather than a creased and folded design. It definitely allows for a less compromised sleeping surface, as does the flip design which means sitting and sleeping can be different.

However I agree that a better overall design PLUS those superb mattresses would be amazing.

Originally Posted by AviationNZ
So what are we describing here - is it the ability to remove the little vertical guard at the end of the ottoman? I can see how that could be appealing, but doesn't that then mean your feet stick out more into the aisle and people bump into them as they try to get past? As someone who is tall (6'2") and uses the bed length in its entirety, I already find that can be a bit of an issue...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.