Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Unpopular Opinion: Air NZ is my favourite business class seat for overnight flights

Unpopular Opinion: Air NZ is my favourite business class seat for overnight flights

Old Nov 3, 19, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite

There. I said it. Air NZ is my favourite business class seat for a nighttime flight. I have flown:

Emirates
Qantas
Virgin Australia
Singapore Airlines (oh god... I was not prepared for how hard that bed turned out to be)
Royal Jordanian
Qatar (but the sold style)
And even though they may have fancy mini suites, I still consistently get the best sleep on the Air NZ seat and mattresses. And the ridiculously comfortable pillows.

Half the threads in here seem to diverge into hating on the business class seat yet I absolutely love it for overnight flights and I am surprised at how much hate it gets. Its not the perfect daytime seat, but it deserves more praise for how nice it is to sleep on. I'm interested in the opinions of this community, and if I am in the minority or if the opinion is more split than it seems.

Either way, no one is wrong, it's all personal opinion!

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Nov 3, 19 at 4:03 am
Old Nov 3, 19, 2:06 am

Programs: NZ*GE
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
There. I said it. Air NZ is my favourite business class seat for a nighttime flight. I have flown:

Emirates
Qantas
Virgin Australia
Singapore Airlines (oh god... I was not prepared for how hard that bed turned out to be)
Royal Jordanian

And even though they may have fancy mini suites, I still consistently get the best sleep on the Air NZ seat and mattresses. And the ridiculously comfortable pillows.

Did you fly on the dreamliner or the 777?
Half the threads in here seem to diverge into hating on the business class seat yet I absolutely love it for overnight flights and I am surprised at how much hate it gets. Its not the perfect daytime seat, but it deserves more praise for how nice it is to sleep on.
Old Nov 3, 19, 2:16 am
Original Poster

I've flown on the 777-300, 777-200 and 789. For sure the latter is my favourite.
Old Nov 3, 19, 2:26 am

Programs: NZ *G
Itís different strokes for different folks, as this is really subjective. Iím tall and, ahem, generously proportioned. For me, the NZ bed is narrow and too short. I agree itís comfortable to lie on, but Iíd rather have the greater space offered by others. That said, I have no problem with the OP liking it best.
Old Nov 3, 19, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gratn View Post
Itís different strokes for different folks, as this is really subjective. Iím tall and, ahem, generously proportioned. For me, the NZ bed is narrow and too short. I agree itís comfortable to lie on, but Iíd rather have the greater space offered by others. That said, I have no problem with the OP liking it best.
That's absolutely fair. Which bed have you tried that best fits you? I am very short so I am lucky in that regard.
Old Nov 3, 19, 3:18 am

Programs: NZ *G
For me, of the three long haul J class trips Iíve taken to Europe in the last 18 months, I found the length best on QR but I flew them last year with their poor old style seats before they put Q-Suites on the AKL-DOH route, and the comfort was so-so. I hear good things about the Q-Suites and would like to try them. SQ had really wide seats on both 777 and A380s and slightly better legroom than NZ so that was my favourite of the three as I slept ok with them.
Old Nov 3, 19, 3:28 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-WP
No argument from me.
Agree best and most comfortable sleep. Despite also been tall and reasonably generously proportioned!!!
Flew Perth London with QF and enjoyed the seat to sit and work in much more than NZ, but missed the sleep comfort.
ditto CX.
Old Nov 3, 19, 5:09 am

Programs: Air NZ airpoints
I agree completely. Within the last couple of years I have flown business on Singapore, Cathay, Emirates, British Airways, and AirNZ. I don't like seats that have a foot cubby - and I agree, although the Singapore seat is very wide, it's so hard that for me it was really uncomfortable to sleep on. The Air NZ seat feels plenty wide enough to me when it's folded over to sleep on - and is by far the most comfortable for sleeping of any business class seat I've ever tried. The BA club world seat (not the brand new one which I've not flown on) would come second on that list.
Old Nov 3, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
I've only flown Business in NZ, Lufthansa and United. NZ is easily my favourite.
Old Nov 3, 19, 11:34 am

Programs: NZ *E
I have to say for sleeping, I prefer the new Polaris seat.

Being 6í1, if I pick the right seat in the cabin I can get a foot cubby deep and wide enough that my feet donít touch the end even when sleeping (unlike on NZ where I really have to be strategic with pillow placement against the wall otherwise my feet are shoved tight in the ottoman)

What does prevent me from flying United to AKL however is the poor service and bad flight timings (a 3pm departure from AKL wonít work for sleep)

For those who really find the NZ seat comfortable, how tall are you?
Old Nov 3, 19, 11:36 am

Programs: NZ*GE
For me the mattress and the two good size pillows are the winner for me, I am flying CX home on Friday and apparently the new mattress will be on that flight so be interesting to compare to NZ
Old Nov 3, 19, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samjnz View Post
I have to say for sleeping, I prefer the new Polaris seat.

Being 6í1, if I pick the right seat in the cabin I can get a foot cubby deep and wide enough that my feet donít touch the end even when sleeping (unlike on NZ where I really have to be strategic with pillow placement against the wall otherwise my feet are shoved tight in the ottoman)

What does prevent me from flying United to AKL however is the poor service and bad flight timings (a 3pm departure from AKL wonít work for sleep)

Everyone on here always refers to me as a "he" but I'm actually a she, and a small she. I am 5"2.
SeaProf likes this.
Old Nov 3, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by samjnz View Post

5'8" with a slim build.
Old Nov 3, 19, 1:14 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For me the sleeping is fine, it's being seated in the 789 that doesn't work for me. I end up with one arm on the divider screen and the arm rest on the left side is so far back it's pointless. The narrowness is only apparent when I am seated. I'm 5'10" and not too round.
It's the lack of any privacy I don't like: other people's food, films and feet on display.
Old Nov 3, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: NZ *E
For the first time in years, I ended up in a middle BP seat last week and interestingly it was probably about 2 inches shorter in bed length than at the windows (since I hadnít heard anyone talk about these seats being smaller before) ó I assume thatís because there isnít the space taken by the air vent cover.

For me that was a really uncomfortable sleep since there was no way to fit my legs in.

I know the angle is different on the 787s, but is there any difference in bed length? (All the long haul routes I fly ó sfo, lax, lhr ó are operated by the 777s so Iíve never tried the 787 on a night flight yet but been tempted to try flying home via HNL sometime)

Search this Thread