Wiki Posts
Search

The end of the LAX - LHR route

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by BZNZ
Booked to go to London September next year! At least I'll get to fly on one of the last flights.

I'm guessing New York will be reallocated the flight numbers (NZ1/NZ2)?
Yes, it will be Newark. It is longest nonstop flight from AKL-EWR by operated B789 Dreamliner.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:21 pm

Hopefully they get rid of the requirement to use all Air NZ flights of you want to pay with Airpoints otherwise that leaves you with no option to use them on flights to the UK. Unless you book separate connecting flights I suppose.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
after 2 flights in J with NZ, I am not surprised this route has died, the J seats are out of the stone ages. So many excellent options to LHR, NZ would not be one of them.
Silver Fox and poopbunny like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by tshirt
after 2 flights in J with NZ, I am not surprised this route has died, the J seats are out of the stone ages. So many excellent options to LHR, NZ would not be one of them.
A lot less Stone Age than the United options without aisle access
1P and Silver Fox like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by samjnz
A lot less Stone Age than the United options without aisle access
UA are rapidly refitting their fleet with a very good J product that leaves Air NZ's product for dead.
AirNZ have not announced a time line for replacing their dated product and are losing business class clients. Air NZ are very much being left behind by competitors.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by WLGNZ; Oct 22, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
I'm very disappointed. They have long been my flight to Europe from the West Coast of the USA. Not only will I have to find a new carrier now (probably Air France or Aer Lingus), it will put my Elite status in jeopardy after next year (and I just received my year 7 Elite card today), as that was one of the routes that always helped ensure I qualify. :-(
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by tshirt
I guess that's exactly why the BP cabins normally had 100% loadings LAX-LHR full of actual paying passengers.

Oh wait..
samyoull likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
UA are rapidly refitting their fleet with a very good J product that leaves Air NZ's product for dead.
AirNZ have not announced a time line for replacing their dated product and are losing business class clients. Air NZ are very much being left behind by competitors.
They have announced the timeline. New seat is coming with the 787-10 in 2022 and guess the 787-9 will be updated at same time. Guess the 773 is most probably be a toss up with new seat or waiting for 773 replacement.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:00 pm

While it's sad this is happening it's the reality that only ~30% of pax hoping on NZ1 or NZ2 were flying the whole way.

The LAX - LHR route has been reviewed numerous times over the years and only just survived after it's last review a few years ago. It relies on LAX - LHR loadings to sustain the route and while these are good it is a competitive market and NZ really don't like competing with others. Ending this will allow the return of one 77W which has a lease that expires in late 2020.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by nzkarit
They have announced the timeline. New seat is coming with the 787-10 in 2022 and guess the 787-9 will be updated at same time. Guess the 773 is most probably be a toss up with new seat or waiting for 773 replacement.
Thanks for the timing update. Air NZ can continue to lose premium customers for the next three years while we wait.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Thanks for the timing update. Air NZ can continue to lose premium customers for the next three years while we wait.
An example, next week I am flying China Eastern to Shanghai in their 787-9 which has individual suites with doors (keen to check it out). About 30%-40% of the cost of NZ on the same route. I understand food and service offerings are worse but its a night flight where sleep is important.

And on that route, MU leaves at 9pm and NZ leaves at midnight, which is a horrible time to fly (and certainly not a time you would want dinner!)

Also looking at some random dates next year business AKL-LHR-AKL is running around NZ$6k for CX, CZ and MH and EK at $7k. NZ is $11k....
jawnbc and poopbunny like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
An example, next week I am flying China Eastern to Shanghai in their 787-9 which has individual suites with doors (keen to check it out). About 30%-40% of the cost of NZ on the same route. I understand food and service offerings are worse but its a night flight where sleep is important.

And on that route, MU leaves at 9pm and NZ leaves at midnight, which is a horrible time to fly (and certainly not a time you would want dinner!)

Also looking at some random dates next year business AKL-LHR-AKL is running around NZ$6k for CX, CZ and MH and EK at $7k. NZ is $11k....
And that's the thing that lots of people including a few people above who talk about Air NZ losing premium customers simply can't comprehend.. Air NZ are not losing premium pax - they're growing premium pax numbers despite having an inferior product that they're able to charge significantly more for than most other airlines.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
But they've also announced the full 777/789 fleet BP seat refresh a few months ago that starts next month alongside the new Economy Stretch seats.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
What a shame, by far my favourite way to fly to LAX from LHR. Now I'll have to fly Swiss or Lufthansa with a layover if I want to avoid United long haul!
1P and SeaProf like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by sbiddle
And that's the thing that lots of people including a few people above who talk about Air NZ losing premium customers simply can't comprehend.. Air NZ are not losing premium pax - they're growing premium pax numbers despite having an inferior product that they're able to charge significantly more for than most other airlines.
I'm also struggling to think of a better Business experience between New Zealand and the USA. There just aren't that many options and NZ is definitely competitive with anything the USA airlines have to offer. I could be wrong as I abandoned the USA airlines 7 years ago. I very literally go out of my way to fly NZ over UA, AA or Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.