The end of the LAX - LHR route

Old Oct 22, 19, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

The end of the LAX - LHR route

Air NZ no longer flying between LA and London from October 2020 whilst announcing non stop New York flights.

I know a lot of people moan about the LAX transit but it was good to have the option of NZ all the way to Europe.
kiwifrequentflyer and hasynt like this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 12:48 pm
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stretched Skoda View Post
Air NZ no longer flying between LA and London from October 2020 whilst announcing non stop New York flights.

I know a lot of people moan about the LAX transit but it was good to have the option of NZ all the way to Europe.
I'm genuinely sad about this! NZ are by far the best option between London and Los Angeles. I'm going to miss it!
Old Oct 22, 19, 12:49 pm

Programs: VA Plat, NZ Jade
Here’s the press release:

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/pres...tional-network
asovse1 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:01 pm

Programs: NZ *G
The loss of a direct NZ service to LHR is sad news, even though the LAX transit is unpleasant. I wonder what it will do to loads on AKL-LAX?

On a brighter note, the non-stop NYC route will be exciting for customers and help open up the East Coast. There are many options from NYC to London too, if passengers still want to travel via USA.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:02 pm

As much as it sucks to transit in the US, sad to see LHR dropped from the network.

Wonder if they will sell the slots or lease them. At least with leasing leaves then the opportunity to do something else in future.

Wonder if they will retime flights? 6 a little earlier and come back as the 3 day flight? And maybe 2 nearer midnight so less time before 1? Don't need the 5/6 aircraft to sit as a rescue for 1/2 anymore.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Just got the email. Shocked!!!
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:18 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
Its disappointing but i don't enjoy the LAX experience any more, and my last 3 London trips have been via Dubai twice and then Singapore.
Silver Fox and poopbunny like this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:29 pm

Programs: Nz*G
This sucks! From an emotional view of an Avgeek who likes the notion of NZ flying to LHR!

Never flew the route though I have to admit, always via Asia until next year decided to go large and give it a go. Thankful we did now.

Very sad to see it go though
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), CX Silver, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver Elite
Booked to go to London September next year! At least I'll get to fly on one of the last flights.

I'm guessing New York will be reallocated the flight numbers (NZ1/NZ2)?
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:56 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Single biggest thing that will suck from this will be the inability to use Air NZ upgrade instruments all the way to the UK. Have to play the Star Alliance dice game instead, albeit once you are in New York, you have a tonne of well priced options on all carriers, not just A*. Not sure what the transit timings will be like?

That will also spell the eventual end of 2x LAX flights a day too I bet....
ps107, SeaProf and SDB22 like this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 2:01 pm

Programs: NZ*E, A3*G, Accor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, GHA Black,
Can't think of anything more unpleasant than flying with NZ to LHR when options through Asia are much less hassle, cheaper and personally more comfortable. I agree from an av geek point of view it is sad, although seems to make commercial sense.

Super stoked about direct to NYC!!! Fly back routinely so this will make it much more palatable. So much press with the QF trial flight recently.

I wonder if this will be JFK or EWR - probably the latter given UA connections in EWR.
Fliar likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gratn View Post
The loss of a direct NZ service to LHR is sad news, even though the LAX transit is unpleasant. I wonder what it will do to loads on AKL-LAX?.
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Its disappointing but i don't enjoy the LAX experience any more, and my last 3 London trips have been via Dubai twice and then Singapore.
Originally Posted by Lpmnz View Post
Never flew the route though I have to admit, always via Asia until next year decided to go large and give it a go. Thankful we did now.
Originally Posted by JANZFlyer View Post
Can't think of anything more unpleasant than flying with NZ to LHR when options through Asia are much less hassle, cheaper and personally more comfortable.
From https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...after-36-years
<snip>
Air New Zealand has been flying the LA-London route since 1982, but McDowall said consumer choices had changed over the years.

"Today Kiwis have more than twice the number of ways to fly to London than a decade ago and preferences have changed. Less than seven per cent of all airline travellers between Auckland and London chose to fly via Los Angeles last year."

The national carrier used to also fly into London through Hong Kong, but that service ended in 2013.
<snip>
And thousands of others make the same decision to fly NZ-ME/Asia-LHR. LHR is not the destination of many, hence far more UK/Eu cities from ME/Asia

The USA ESTA/visa requirements put many off: just too hard(impossible) for many people

Luxton goes and a major route change soon announced.
poopbunny likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 22, 19 at 2:50 pm Reason: Route started 1982
Old Oct 22, 19, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer View Post
Can't think of anything more unpleasant than flying with NZ to LHR when options through Asia are much less hassle, cheaper and personally more comfortable. I agree from an av geek point of view it is sad, although seems to make commercial sense.

Super stoked about direct to NYC!!! Fly back routinely so this will make it much more palatable. So much press with the QF trial flight recently.

I wonder if this will be JFK or EWR - probably the latter given UA connections in EWR.
Pretty sure I read EWR this morning.
Old Oct 22, 19, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
And thousands of others make the same decision to fly NZ-ME/Asia-LHR. LHR is not the destination of many, hence far more UK/Eu cities from ME/Asia

The USA ESTA/visa requirements put many off: just too hard(impossible) for many people

Was Luxton CEO when AKL-LAX-LHR was introduced? Luxton goes and a major route change soon announced.
Umm AKL-LAX-LGW was 82. Think LHR 94 or 95.
Old Oct 22, 19, 2:40 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond
For those thinking of getting to Europe from AKL via Newark on this new route, think LAX and worse.
Transited Newark April of this year, AC to UA and it was horrendous, made LAX look good and we know how bad that is.

Stick to via Asia or YVR.
Silver Fox likes this.

Search this Thread