Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class Menus?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by bce1
Well I had Garlic bread, soup, beef rib and dessert and it felt like any other meal service, except I had after a 6 hour sleep .... and I feel a pig saying this.... another beef sandwich and dessert again!! Beat the usual bacon roll!

i don’t think it is cost cutting. Purser said was in response to “why are you serving me a full meal at 11pm” which is a reasonable question and that it was more labour intensive as dining spread over wider period.

but agree with other comments variation and quality seems to be continuing down.
Think this may have been better handled with a meal per selection? Get the expectations right before getting on the plane. Let the people who want sleep sleep & people who want a big meal get it?
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz
That's a huge downgrade in food quality -- used to be able to get a full meal on this flight now it's all "snacks"
I was about to comment the menu posted was incomplete and there must be more pages to this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@jewree

Just a fyi, there is this thread which has menus and meal photos. Although it may not answer your specific question, the photos of menus and meals would be great if added to this thread.

Business Class Meals - Menus & Photos

Perhaps a mod can combine these threads to make is easier for search?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Think this may have been better handled with a meal per selection? Get the expectations right before getting on the plane. Let the people who want sleep sleep & people who want a big meal get it?
I am in the camp of can we please not have a big meal after 11. By having an "optional" service its not really optional since its loud and bright. It's much easier to sleep with the lights off and the plane in sleep mode. Eyeshades and earplugs can only do so much.

But I understand that opinions on this will always be split.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by nzkarit
I agree, a "book the cook" type service would help with this. I think that with the very high price of NZ J they should offer a full meal which is good quality. Another alternative would be decent lounge food for J passengers, ie an a la carte menu in a decent J lounge, then you have the option of eating a quality meal before the flight with a nice glass of wine. I've been so disappointed with the J food recently that I thought I would trial having a meal at the Novotel between domestic and international flights on my next late-night long-haul flight.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by bce1
Well I had Garlic bread, soup, beef rib and dessert and it felt like any other meal service, except I had after a 6 hour sleep .... and I feel a pig saying this.... another beef sandwich and dessert again!! Beat the usual bacon roll!

i don’t think it is cost cutting. Purser said was in response to “why are you serving me a full meal at 11pm” which is a reasonable question and that it was more labour intensive as dining spread over wider period.

but agree with other comments variation and quality seems to be continuing down.
My big complaint looking at the menu is that the only real protein rich main option is a roll/hamburger type setup.

These aren't being served on short 7 hour transatlantic red eyes but long 12 hour services with ample time for both sleeping and eating (and without the 'dine on the ground' table service setup at lounges Virgin, BA, United, etc have)

I suppose one could ask for the Premium Economy meal instead
poopbunny likes this.

Last edited by samjnz; Sep 30, 2019 at 8:10 pm
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by sonyxperiageek
Currently on NZ2 to LA and here's the J menu.

I think this is the first time I have ever seen Gluten-free toast listed on the menu. As a coeliac, that encourages me. I hope it's the very edible gluten-free roll I had recently on the LHR-LAX and LAX-RAR flights and not the wretched inedible toast-in-a-bag I had on my RAR-LAX flight last month, which seems to be the usual offering on flights out of AKL as well.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
For HKG in particular such a menu makes sense with the midnight departure - it's basically 1am by the time you get served so something like is a good option. Having said that HKG moves to a day flight at the end of the month,
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
We left the ground at 11:07pm and didn't start getting our starters until 12:10am. For the high priced J on NZ, I don't think there is anything special about J apart from the fact you can lie-flat when sleeping. It doesn't seem like it's worth the higher price than some other airlines' cheaper J. Only good since I used an RU for it.

It will be a good comparison to when I fly business back to AKL from CPT in December on Emirates.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Totally agree - the SQ J bed on their current 777 and A350 product is the most diabolically uncomfortable business class flat bed I have experienced, period. Plus the angle makes it feel awkward and exposed, with a horribly bulky airbag-equipped seatbelt crushing your vital organs (so much so I had to leave it unbuckled if I wanted to sleep - and I'm a tall and slim guy... no idea how larger folk cope). Honestly I don't find it very comfortable as a seat either. The updated A380 product is fine, though NZ beds still much more comfortable.

However, and to get this back on track (sort of), on my last SQ flight in J SIN-SYD I requested Seared lamb loin from Book the Cook, and I have to say it was superb. Not a huge serving, but everything on the plate was delicious and the meat clearly of excellent quality, the tomatoes were properly vine-ripened and flavourful. The Bordeaux was great too. It's hard to see in the picture, but there were crushed potatoes underneath. Also, it's a large plate, unlike NZ's serving ware, so the serving is not as small as it looks. I'm far from an SQ fanboy, but this was in a different league to anything I've eaten on NZ for at least the last 3 years.

SQ BTC (J): Seared lamb loin

AirNZ please try harder - with your wine and your food.
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
SQ is usually cheaper than Air NZ for a superior daytime premium experience. But as someone used to western beds, their beds are very uncomfortable for me - I'll take the less than private but soft Air NZ bed any day! 😜 I genuinely found the SQ bed in both first and biz to be uncomfortable and hard.

But their nighttime flights leave at superior times so there is that too...
Originally Posted by poopbunny

This is from NZ283 a few months ago. I did this flight a couple of months later and it was exactly the same.

After a while I got tired of the herringbone layout and gave up on expecting good food on NZ.

I flew SQ after that. Their lobster and perfectly cooked fillet was a very nice change. Satay entree was fantastic. IFE screen was much larger than NZ, with good resolution.

Didn't give a toss about the Status Credits anymore. There is only so much low value mediocre food I can put up with paying large $$$.

Thank you all for great and useful input! Our upcoming NZ281/283 flights connect at SIN to SQ 25/26 so we do get the 12+ hours of SQ J too.

While I agree with all of you regarding the beds, I found (Two years ago) the food on NZ to be far superior to SQ book the Cook options. Maybe it was bad luck... mine looked nothing like the lamb pictured above.
I also find the NZ crew and approach service more enjoyable. At SQ they will almost bend their knees and ask permission to polish your shoes. Feels a bit uncomfortable to me. Much more into the “G’day! Let me know what you need and I’ll take care of it” attitude given by NZ and QF crews.

Is the lounge at AKL really that bad? Just experienced it before a 1am departure (with an hour delay) and it was what you expect at that hour. How are the late mornings? This time we have an 11 am departure going out of NZ
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:51 pm
Original Member

I’m always amazed at the discussion over airline meals. From my point of view I don’t really care, I’m much more concerned about getting from A to B safely, than contents of the menu. It fluctuates between ok to very good, but it’s not a Michelin star restaurant. It’s a reheated meal served by staff that are not chefs!
I flew J earlier this month to Japan, a choice of three meals.. cooked snapper in the Japanese option, lamb, and chicken, but in comment to an earlier post about wines being lower grades, I must disagree. I was served Craggy Range Sophia 2013, not a cheap
option anywhere. I had only just bought a bottle as a gift a few days before and paid $109 at an Auckland off licence store .
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LadyBell
Is the lounge at AKL really that bad? Just experienced it before a 1am departure (with an hour delay) and it was what you expect at that hour. How are the late mornings? This time we have an 11 am departure going out of NZ
11am is a quiet time for departures. TG/SQ departures around 1-2:30pm.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sonyxperiageek
Currently on NZ2 to LA and here's the J menu.

Leaving aside the contents for a moment, doesn't the menu itself look different to before? New typefaces for the headings, for starters?

(Edited to add: I live with a Graphic Designer and work in Marketing. Totally get it if nobody else notices / cares!)
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by greer
but in comment to an earlier post about wines being lower grades, I must disagree. I was served Craggy Range Sophia 2013, not a cheap
option anywhere. I had only just bought a bottle as a gift a few days before and paid $109 at an Auckland off licence store .
Totally agree, that's a fabulous wine... but if you look at the comments upthread, that's one of their special wine series which all too frequently "the caterers forget to load any of" (as happened on my flight. If those wines were reliably available I wouldn't be complaining either! But the price/quality of everything that's not part of that very limited fine wines program has dropped significantly.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Just came back from Houston to Auckland on NZ29. This is a slightly better menu.

kiwifrequentflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.