Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Where to now? AKL international lounge access for KC pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to now? AKL international lounge access for KC pax

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by wayoutwest
Should also reduce number of guests elite take in. Three should be plenty. If 2 elites they can take 10 extras not really a fair go.
Agree entirely. We can take in 10 guests between the two of us which is far too high, although I expect others will disagree.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I asked the question to somebody I know at Air NZ last year in light of the Koru overcrowding and was told the number of people who take 5 guests into Intl Koru is negligible. This is very different to domestic where this does occur frequently.

The simple problem at AKL is that the lounge was simply not big enough from the start. You can look at ~1hr periods in the morning and evening where just the number of BP passengers alone on flights during that period consumes a significant chunk of total capacity.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Koru crunch: Passengers still being squeezed out of Air New Zealand's lounge

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12243373
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:22 pm

One thing from that article which is news to me

[quote/ From July 10 Platinum Visa cardholders will have to spend $30,000 on their card for two single entry passes, up from $20,000 now. [/quote]

Going back through the emails from my bank. to see if I missed it or not. Though I only use the evouchers as additional +1.

Also https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airp...mparison-table doesn't mention $30k
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
It looks as though NZ will be bringing in tougher rules for lounge access next week. I can't get into the full article as I haven't paid for full access!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12244829

Does anyone know what the full article says?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by nzlilibet
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12244829

Does anyone know what the full article says?
https://www.reddit.com/r/newzealand/...tent_for_free/
ps107 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Travelling on NZ28 tomorrow in PE and got the email saying if I wanted to use my CC vouchers to head to Strata, which is fair enough. My dad is Koru and travellling with me in PE and also got the email...I could understand economy and Koru being directed to Strata, but PE and Koru was a little surprising.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I used Strata last week and it was much more pleasant than the AirNZ international zoo.
And they have newspapers!
Sad indictment of how far AirNZ service standards and customer experience has fallen.
poopbunny, Beano and drajknox like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
I used Strata last week and it was much more pleasant than the AirNZ international zoo.
And they have newspapers!
Sad indictment of how far AirNZ service standards and customer experience has fallen.
Yea i don't mind it either - food has generally been better IME too.
poopbunny, Beano and drajknox like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by brenrox
The drinks selection including coffees is better in Koru but I agree the Strata food often beats NZ - I sometimes go to Strata then back to Koru if the Koru food offering isn’t any good.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by brenrox
Interesting, will have to try it next time.
Does Strata have a showers, and a view to outside? Not the showers having a view, just the lounge!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by taupo
Interesting, will have to try it next time.
Does Strata have a showers, and a view to outside? Not the showers having a view, just the lounge!
Nearly every toilet has a shower. Which makes it a bit annoying for your quick boarding call pee. Or is it just me? The only non-shower toilet that I know of is in the other toilet block at the far end of the lounge by the kid's(?) area.

The view is of the loungeless proletariats meandering around the shops and paying for food/drinks.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:18 am

Am here now and hot options are (vegetarian) thai curry and slow-cooked beef cheek (which was excellent and plentiful), mashed spuds, roast vegetables; plenty of salads, sandwichs, savouries etc., 3 or 4 different desserts - NY cheesecake was great, panne cotta was pretty average. Beers are Speights, Moa, Steinlager, Heinekin and the wines are Haha, which isn't bad. Lounge is very tranquil compared to the main airport area which is pretty busy being school holidays. The view overs looks the main airport area (Whittakers/ 3 Wise Men area). Toilets haven't even been half occupied when I have needed them; there are two more located around by the kids area.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging
Is it just KC members being turned around or those generally not travelling in J?

E.g is there a chance elite partners with no status can get directed to Strata?
My wife and I are travelling on the same booking tomorrow and she is my Elite Partner. Air NZ sent an email to her saying she and her guest should go to the Strata Lounge - I (Elite) didn’t receive an email. I called NZ and asked if they expected us to go to different lounges! The CSR said we could both go to Koru and if not admitted go to Strata - I told her that I already had Strata access via Priority Pass anyway but as an Elite if it is not our choice I will reconsider how much business I have with Air NZ since as an Elite who has been flying significantly I do not expect to be sent to a different lounge. You would think that they (their computer) would make redirection decisions based upon all passengers with the same booking reference.
i also pointed out to the rep that there are many other aspects of their communication which needs improving - tickets which show wrong bag allowance after upgrade, pretrip emails which show the wrong booking class even after confirmed upgrade, app still not showing correct bag allowance after upgrade etc etc. Their communication does not give confidence in their IT team as a whole and given the recent security breach they probably need to carry out a review. Let’s hope the IT ability with respect to flights is better and that there is s higher level of care with respect to accurate details.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Me TG*G, Mrs TG*S rocked up at WLG’s regional Lounge on Wed 5pm - so was always going to be busy.

I was politely told I could enter but no guests, but that we could try the 2 temporary lounge past security but they were likely to also be pretty full.

The first temp lounge was packed and we didn’t bother, the second temp lounge near G14 was packed but we were both welcomed without issue. A family with 3 kids gotup we arrived which was perfect.

I noted a group of 9 folks sitting on the only large table having a serious sounding business meeting (very loud conversations), which seemed incongruous with the tenor of the temporary lounge - given 1/2 the lounge occupants were standing or leaning against walls with a wine or beer looking at phones or just plain bored...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.