Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Where to now? AKL international lounge access for KC pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA SQ CX NZ

Apologies if this has already been definitively answered for international pax:

Recently the airline has redirected some KC pax (AKL) to the Strata lounge. Overcrowding, I believe, is the issue. Has this become the 'new normal'? MIL (KC) is travelling soon and I'd like to appropriately manage expectations.

I believe that in future ANZ will eventually operate separate 'premium' lounge for KC. We'll see I guess.

cheers
pops
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by poppetipops

Recently the airline has redirected some KC pax (AKL) to the Strata lounge. Overcrowding, I believe, is the issue. Has this become the 'new normal'? MIL (KC) is travelling soon and I'd like to appropriately manage expectations.

I believe that in future ANZ will eventually operate separate 'premium' lounge for KC. We'll see I guess.

cheers
pops
They will continue to do so based on demand.

Air NZ is going to open a second lounge over in Pier B but it's a few years away at-least.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:21 am

And from what I understand about the pier b lounge it is another lougue, it's not going to be a premium longue.

As they are too far apart to be different tiers. Don't want to send BP pax to pier B to walk back to the end of pier A
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by poppetipops

cheers
pops
While in general - certainly in terms of ambience, views, coffee, and perhaps variety of alcoholic drinks the Auckland NZ Lounge is superior to Strata it is not uncommon for the Strata lounge to have a better food offering - as an example before AKL-HKG recently the hot selections had been removed in NZ so I went to Strata as I have access to both, had a reasonable meal, then returned to the NZ Lounge for a couple of cocktails.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: NZ EP
Is it just KC members being turned around or those generally not travelling in J?

E.g is there a chance elite partners with no status can get directed to Strata?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging
Is it just KC members being turned around or those generally not travelling in J?

E.g is there a chance elite partners with no status can get directed to Strata?
It is pre-determined I believe, and so far the people I have talked to have all been Koru Club
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Rebound
It is pre-determined I believe, and so far the people I have talked to have all been Koru Club
It’s almost like NZ should permanently list the Strata Lounge as the KoruClub lounge for AKL Intl. It would probably help them out PR wise.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:52 am

At least Strata is quieter and less zoo like!
cavemanzk and Bub001 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by wayoutwest
To be fair when they do use the Strata lounge the main lounge has been much better
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by wayoutwest
Not in peak period when lots of non *A / OW flights, especially if this coincides with NZ sending lots of people across.

To the OP - this has been going on for quite a while and will continue for a while more. It wouldn't surprise me at especially busy periods if Strata lounge also reaches capacity and needs to turn people away.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Most of the times I am in there it is overcrowded but there was a notable exception later last year when there was the media fuss about it and they were pushing lots of people to the Strata Lounge ,it was much better.
What I just can't get my head around is allowing so many guests in during school holidays when it is already overflowing, particularly kids. Why not just send them to the Strata Lounge or give them vouchers.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by edmm
What I just can't get my head around is allowing so many guests in during school holidays when it is already overflowing, particularly kids. Why not just send them to the Strata Lounge or give them vouchers.
NZ really needs to ditch you the children under 12 don’t count towards your guest allowance. Pretty much every other airline they do count towards your guest allowance.

Or if NZ really wants to keep the child allowance, they should invest in opening up an family based lounge.
Erasmus III likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by cavemanzk

Pretty much every other airline they do count towards your guest allowance
With the notable exception of QF.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by pbl22

With the notable exception of QF.
Good point. But when a pair of Elites, both on business class fares, can't find two seats together something has to change, and changing the rules regarding children as guests is an obvious part of the answer.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:35 pm

Should also reduce number of guests elite take in. Three should be plenty. If 2 elites they can take 10 extras not really a fair go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.