Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Woman Removed from Flight After Refusing to Watch Safety Video

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman Removed from Flight After Refusing to Watch Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: NZ*G, QRPC Gold
The way the articles are worded, I'm also wondering if they were seated in row 1 (also an exit row) and received the manual safety demo from the FA in front of them? It would be pretty obvious if they ignored that demo...

The exit row briefing also includes being "willing and able" and you'd be re-seated if you declined to be available to assist?
Old May 8, 2019, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Mats

Please tell me there is more to this story. Unless she posed a clear threat to herself or others, this was one hell of a power trip.
Not knowing how to proceed during an emergency and in an evacuation is a danger to others as the recent accident in Russia seems to have shown, and the general lack of safety know-how seems rather widespread such as the oxygen mask in the Southwest emergency as shown here.

You might be able to recite the whole safety video, but you can't be certain that others can. Last thing you want is someone becoming an obstruction in the aisle during an evacuation.
I agree that safety videos nowadays are trying too hard to be humorous or catchy, and fail to communicate clearly the actual safety part you need to know.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Books, saved videos, games and such. The phones were likely not in airplane mode.
For the VPS-ATL or reverse part of my flight day, wheels up to wheels down is generally the right amount of time to play through my lives on 3-4 different Candy Ceush games.

I also have have a good amount of music stored on my phone to listen to on the flight. But I do take the headphones off or take an earbud out for the safety demo. The majority of my flights don’t seem to have video screens and it seems rude to blatantly ignore FAs going through their government-mandated presentation s few feet away from me
Old May 8, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MT_Switch
Not knowing how to proceed during an emergency and in an evacuation is a danger to others as the recent accident in Russia seems to have shown, and the general lack of safety know-how seems rather widespread such as the oxygen mask in the Southwest emergency as shown here.

You might be able to recite the whole safety video, but you can't be certain that others can. Last thing you want is someone becoming an obstruction in the aisle during an evacuation....
I wonder if those who died on the Aeroflot "crash landing" because they were trying to take their cabin baggage with them during the evacuation, are now "comfortably resting" in a morgue/ cemetary, with their baggage beside their corpses?
Old May 9, 2019, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Icecat
According to the article it sounds like she was using her cell phone during the safety briefing. Of course if the airline tossed everyone that didn't pay attention, there would be more room in coach..
Yeah, she was supposed to watch safety video. She is not allowed to used her cellphone during safety briefing. She doesn't listen to FA. She breaks the law. Yes, she have pay attention. She must listen to her entire flight crew instructions.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Sounds like she wouldn't get off her phone: "The passenger will receive an infringement notice under Civil Aviation Authority rules relating to the use of a cellphone".

There is more of a story here.
Yup, you got that right! She is not allowed to use her cellphone. She breaks the rules. She doesn't listen to FA. She could get a lifetime ban.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
While I am on the FAs side here (its not hard to just listen to them and watch it even if you disagree) I do find it funny that a lot of people here are pro the FA when lots of posters were saying they openly would wear headphones during the rap song out of protest...
Old May 9, 2019, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
While I am on the FAs side here (its not hard to just listen to them and watch it even if you disagree) I do find it funny that a lot of people here are pro the FA when lots of posters were saying they openly would wear headphones during the rap song out of protest...
Not quite the point - the offending pax was in an exit row which has specific additional briefing requirements. Probably, the vast majority of pax would comply with requests to remove headphones to listen to the FA's briefing.

Those here who may have said they would just wear headphones (and are in regular seats) can read the briefing material as an alternate to watching the video; as deaf people presumably do.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
‘you also wouldn’t get off loaded after a single request / warning to pay attention. While I hated the rap one - it was like finger nails down a blackboard to me for some reason - if I couldn’t politely ignore it or I was pulled up on my lack of attention I wouldn’t persist - that seems to be a potential difference here!
Old May 9, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I know, I was just making a joke.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Personally I unironically reviewed the safety briefing card as a way to avoid watching the video. They can't complain you're ignoring the safety procedures for the aircraft if you're reviewing the written form of them.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kyanar
Personally I unironically reviewed the safety briefing card as a way to avoid watching the video. They can't complain you're ignoring the safety procedures for the aircraft if you're reviewing the written form of them.
Unless you are seated in an exit row......
Old May 12, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I sit in 1A whenever possible on A320 services and would end up there probably 23-30 times per year.

What amazes me is that I'm often the only one of the 3 people in the row actually watching the manual safety demonstration. I simply find it downright rude that others will sit there playing with their phone, tablet or reading a book while they're having a manual demonstration done in front of them!
Old May 12, 2019, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I sit in 1A whenever possible on A320 services and would end up there probably 23-30 times per year.

What amazes me is that I'm often the only one of the 3 people in the row actually watching the manual safety demonstration. I simply find it downright rude that others will sit there playing with their phone, tablet or reading a book while they're having a manual demonstration done in front of them!
I have reached the stage where nothing amazes me any longer. Sadly. But more and more I seem to encounter people who think that the rules do not apply to them. Unless it suits them of course.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The thing most people would probably be unaware of as well is that an ISM does have the ability to revoke status (well not them directly, but when they lodge a complaint that will be one of the outcomes) particularly if you're argumentative or abusive towards staff. Air NZ simply will not stand for this and will back their staff regardless of who you are.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Unless you are seated in an exit row......
True. I tend to select bulkhead rows (generally only fly widebody) so don't encounter exit rows much, but then in an exit row the plane's door mechanism would be explained in person surely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.