FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Expert flyer vs ANZ seat map (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1966273-expert-flyer-vs-anz-seat-map.html)

Eltham Apr 24, 2019 12:43 am

Strikes me as a bit odd to say the least that some of us pay for the service and are then expected to do their work for them.

ExpertFlyer Voice Apr 24, 2019 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Eltham (Post 31031553)
Strikes me as a bit odd to say the least that some of us pay for the service and are then expected to do their work for them.

As no one on the EF staff as NZ elite FF#, no it's not odd. We like to work with our customers to test improvements like this before rolling them out so we know they work.

findark Apr 24, 2019 10:23 am

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice (Post 31032884)
As no one on the EF staff as NZ elite FF#, no it's not odd. We like to work with our customers to test improvements like this before rolling them out so we know they work.

FYI, any account with *G should work in terms of displaying the "correct" seatmap. I suspect the core issue is that NZ publishes the seatmap with the blocked seats occupied instead of blocked though.

I used as an example NZ401 AKL-WLG on Friday 2 August - all of rows 1-10 and 27-29 show occupied, when they are in reality just blocked. (Any NZ domestic flight should be the same.)

ExpertFlyer Voice Apr 24, 2019 10:40 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31032949)
FYI, any account with *G should work in terms of displaying the "correct" seatmap. I suspect the core issue is that NZ publishes the seatmap with the blocked seats occupied instead of blocked though.

I used as an example NZ401 AKL-WLG on Friday 2 August - all of rows 1-10 and 27-29 show occupied, when they are in reality just blocked. (Any NZ domestic flight should be the same.)

Correct, but when passing in a FF# that has elite status with the seat map request, seats that were Occupied instead get returned as just Blocked or even Available. If you look at the Preferences tab on the My Account page you'll see that we do this with other airlines that we know do this.

findark Apr 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice (Post 31033009)
Correct, but when passing in a FF# that has elite status with the seat map request, seats that were Occupied instead get returned as just Blocked or even Available. If you look at the Preferences tab on the My Account page you'll see that we do this with other airlines that we know do this.

Do you need an NZ FF number? Any account with *G (any airline) will display the correct seatmap (for elite seating, not for blocks) on airnewzealand.co.nz.

freemark Apr 24, 2019 3:57 pm

I must have been mistaken on how EF works. I have a free account, limited options available to me (seat alert ) and I thought that it was a good way to check on how many seats available (ie how full the flight).
I’ll get my hat (and read the instructions)

ExpertFlyer Voice Apr 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Elite Seat Maps for NZ now available

Thanks to your help we have added an option on the Preferences tab of the My Account page to add your FF# for Air New Zealand. When you do that, and if your name on your EF account is the same as your NZ FF account, then you'll see a seat map that more closely corresponds with the seat map you see with your elite status.

Thai-Kiwi Apr 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice (Post 31034611)
Thanks to your help we have added an option on the Preferences tab of the My Account page to add your FF# for Air New Zealand. When you do that, and if your name on your EF account is the same as your NZ FF account, then you'll see a seat map that more closely corresponds with the seat map you see with your elite status.

Thanks. Does this mean you parse actual customer account info to gain seats maps rather than querying a GDS as a Travel Agent would do?

ExpertFlyer Voice Apr 24, 2019 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31034644)

Thanks. Does this mean you parse actual customer account info to gain seats maps rather than querying a GDS as a Travel Agent would do?

No, we send the FF# in with the Seat Map request to the GDS, as a travel agent does. We don't ask for any passwords.

libertyuk Apr 25, 2019 2:39 am

I've checked this and it works with my NZ Airpoints number. There is an option for the LH FF number, but no other *A ones. Regardless, this is a definite improvement from EF in my view.

ExpertFlyer Voice Apr 25, 2019 7:34 am

Originally Posted by libertyuk (Post 31035198)
I've checked this and it works with my NZ Airpoints number. There is an option for the LH FF number, but no other *A ones. Regardless, this is a definite improvement from EF in my view.

You can put any FF# for any airline you want. That's why the NZ line has 2 fields, one for the FF# and the other for the airline of the FF program. Same as all the other airlines that support FF numbers for seat maps listed on that page.

Top of climb Apr 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by freemark (Post 31033996)
I must have been mistaken on how EF works. I have a free account, limited options available to me (seat alert ) and I thought that it was a good way to check on how many seats available (ie how full the flight).
I’ll get my hat (and read the instructions)

No, you are doing it right (up to a point). Seat alert returns the seat map as at the time of the request. However, the seat map is not a good way to check how many seats are available necessarily as up to T-72 (when Airport Control seats everyone who has not yet pre-allocated a seat) there will be people who have booked tickets but might not have selected seats.

ExpertFlyer Voice Apr 26, 2019 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb (Post 31037419)
No, you are doing it right (up to a point). Seat alert returns the seat map as at the time of the request. However, the seat map is not a good way to check how many seats are available necessarily as up to T-72 (when Airport Control seats everyone who has not yet pre-allocated a seat) there will be people who have booked tickets but might not have selected seats.

To see the amount of tickets in various fare classes available for sale, you would do a Flight Availability search which is part of the Pro service.

sbiddle Apr 27, 2019 1:57 am

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice (Post 31041565)
To see the amount of tickets in various fare classes available for sale, you would do a Flight Availability search which is part of the Pro service.

Except Air NZ only release up to 9 seats at a time so how useful that is depends entirely on the situation.

drajknox Apr 27, 2019 3:56 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 31041819)
Except Air NZ only release up to 9 seats at a time so how useful that is depends entirely on the situation.

And on occasion they seem to show no availability even when trying to book when in fact seats exist.
I am off to TPE for a quick trip next week - no direct NZ flight that day and told TA I wanted to fly NZ. They wanted to send me via HKG but no Business Class avail even via NZ booking engine. Told them I had to go Business Class and that I was happy to go via PVG with EVA to TPE. They told me they were confident they could WL me and that I’d get a Business Class seat then CX to TPE. Sure enough within 24hr they confirmed my booking (>1 month ago) and there was a brief period of availability on NZ87 in C class. This then disappeared again however intermittently availability has shown over the last few weeks. Interestingly when available C class on the same flight connecting to a business class CX HKG-TPE flight was approx $1060 cheaper than the same flight in C class ending in HKG - presumably NZ trying to maximise revenue with HKG terminating customers who with less aggressive competitive pricing would pay more but to fill business were at times happy to sell connecting business fares to compete with significantly cheaper business class direct fares AKL-TPE on China Airlines.