Wiki Posts
Search

Horrible UA ground service ex-NZ 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Horrible UA ground service ex-NZ 8

More a vent really. There are a number of cancellations ex-SFO today. My flight was cancelled. NZ 0800 number couldn’t rebook me and said go to United - so far so good. All UA staff I encountered were hostile, despite my best attempts at smiling and being really nice - except the cleaner who kept winking at me and trying to make me laugh the angrier they got!. They rebooked me onto a first flight tomorrow as today’s flights full. No problem to me as a day early. Asked which hotel they were putting me up in and how to get there and both agent and her supervisor exploded about not being their responsibility and being my responsibility and travel insurance - i have insurance, so no problem, but previously Airline has always organised in situations like this. I gave up rang NZ back. They said would sort 10 minutes later United had a seat on the later ‘full’ flight today - guess decided it was cheaper! I suppose my main whinge is I have seriously never encountered this level of rudeness before from an airline.

Feel better now!!

Last edited by bce1; Feb 25, 2019 at 2:02 pm Reason: grammer
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the UA agents were all rude, that is intolerable and you ought to complain, providing specifics.

But, you are completely wrong about the hotel. UA is only obligated to provide one if the overnight delay is caused by something within UA's control. The weather is not.

Glad that your ticketing carrier was able to find space for you, but you may be absolutely assured that UA was never going to provide for your hotel.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Interesting as I have had 2 weather interrupts on International tickets in last 6 months - both on NZ tickets - one in US at IAH and one Auckland - on both occasions hotel and food arranged by NZ. I thought in middle of a multi-segment international PNR the airline did have responsibility. I had NZ flight numbers for all flights - including todays one.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Is the weather the cause? Seems to be overcast but otherwise fine day here.
Unless at origin airport?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
I had a similar issue with UA ground staff at SFO a number of years ago trying to do a same day flight change which is allowed for free if you are *G. It wasn't til I found the priority desk (I think they call it Premier Access) and the whole demeanor changed.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by BZNZ
same day flight change which is allowed for free if you are *G.
I wasn't aware of this benefit - is it still valid and if so can you point us to anything official? Thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
I wasn't aware of this benefit - is it still valid and if so can you point us to anything official? Thanks.
Been the case for many years. You can even make changes online on the UA app and at times for some reason I've seen these have been allowed the day before .

Lots of people exploit this for SP earn on multi stop reroutes.

Premier Access staff are alwsys the best to deal with, and essential if you want to interline bags with NZ on separate PBRs.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:47 pm

OK thanks. This is on UA flights only though - not NZ?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
A few airlines have weather waivers for today and tomorrow at SFO. They are supposed to get a considerable amount of rain and some heavy winds.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bce1
Interesting as I have had 2 weather interrupts on International tickets in last 6 months - both on NZ tickets - one in US at IAH and one Auckland - on both occasions hotel and food arranged by NZ. I thought in middle of a multi-segment international PNR the airline did have responsibility. I had NZ flight numbers for all flights - including todays one.
That is up to NZ.

OP approached UA about rerouting a UA flight.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
NZ was being nice and there is no requirement of airlines to provide anything for weather issues.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Well having moved from costal to central US but still not where I want to be - relaxing in a Holiday Inn courtesy of UA - voucher printed out at UC club on arrival - will try and blank it and post it.

Apparwntly is policy for long haul international flight disruptions -,had no problem with lounge staff - knew the rules.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes -- Star Alliance policy is that premium cabin pax and *G are entitled to hotels for overnight delays on international itineraries (regardless of cause). SFO has weather problems whenever ceilings are low and/or winds force a cross pair of runways out of use. They can't do parallel approaches except under VFR so it cuts the acceptance rate below the schedule and causes havoc whenever it's foggy in San Francisco

That's too bad about the agents.. I've seen a lot of stories about bad apples in SFO but never had many problems myself.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by findark
Yes -- Star Alliance policy is that premium cabin pax and *G are entitled to hotels for overnight delays on international itineraries (regardless of cause).
*A handbook is good reading for those who have never seen it before https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/..._2017-2018.pdf
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks sbiddle - will file away.
in fairness the UC staff were great - just the pre-security staff which very rude.

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.