Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Purchase reward flight with Airpoints, but add Star Gold number for status benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase reward flight with Airpoints, but add Star Gold number for status benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:17 pm
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC

Is it possible to purchase a flight on NZ with Airpoints, but add my Aegean *G number for status benefits (baggage allowance, lounge, etc.)?

I seem to remember reading that this used to be possible, but NZ closed it down so that if you redeem Airpoints for a flight, the Airpoints number must stay on the PNR as the sole FFP number.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
You haven't been able to change the FQTV/FQTS on an award booking for a number of years due to an exploit that existed with cross crediting
​​​​​​
This is very different to the recent (12 months or so) where there have been issues changing FQTV/FQTS on paid tickets.
FlyingFilmGuy likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
We paid for a VA flight with APD and VA wanted to put my VA number in for status benefits for seating. I didn't care as we weren't earning anything. Couple years ago now. Slightly different in being VA metal.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:35 am
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
You haven't been able to change the FQTV/FQTS on an award booking for a number of years due to an exploit that existed with cross crediting
​​​​​​
This is very different to the recent (12 months or so) where there have been issues changing FQTV/FQTS on paid tickets.
Thanks sbiddle. I thought that was the case.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:19 am

I recently flew AKL-WRE booked with airpoints by my father in law: I could add my TK*G number to the booking, while my wife (with the same surname as my FIL) couldn't add her A3*G number.

I'm sure my number was in there because at the regional lounge my BP scanned green, while that of my wife scanned red.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
I flew AKL-ZQN return in Oct of last year, paid for exclusively with airpoints for both pax. Neither NZ call center nor website allowed me to change the FF number from airpoints to OZ*G, though the lounge staff at Auckland managed to do it for me and on the return flight the OZ number was showing during online checkin, so guess it stuck after the lounge agent edited it.

So to answer your question, yup seems possible but you’ll need the agent’s help.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:22 am
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cuzzybro
I flew AKL-ZQN return in Oct of last year, paid for exclusively with airpoints for both pax. Neither NZ call center nor website allowed me to change the FF number from airpoints to OZ*G, though the lounge staff at Auckland managed to do it for me and on the return flight the OZ number was showing during online checkin, so guess it stuck after the lounge agent edited it.

So to answer your question, yup seems possible but you’ll need the agent’s help.
Seems to be a running theme that lounge agents have a little more power with these things. Question is whether they're technically allowed to or if they are bending the rules to keep pax happy when they're face-to-face with them. And also whether there's any consistency with this.

For now, I've ended up just paying for the flight and loading my *G card in at booking. It was a ridiculously cheap flight anyway (no miles earn, but on this trip the luggage allowance is more important).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.