FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Purchase reward flight with Airpoints, but add Star Gold number for status benefits?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyingFilmGuy
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cuzzybro
I flew AKL-ZQN return in Oct of last year, paid for exclusively with airpoints for both pax. Neither NZ call center nor website allowed me to change the FF number from airpoints to OZ*G, though the lounge staff at Auckland managed to do it for me and on the return flight the OZ number was showing during online checkin, so guess it stuck after the lounge agent edited it.

So to answer your question, yup seems possible but you’ll need the agent’s help.
Seems to be a running theme that lounge agents have a little more power with these things. Question is whether they're technically allowed to or if they are bending the rules to keep pax happy when they're face-to-face with them. And also whether there's any consistency with this.

For now, I've ended up just paying for the flight and loading my *G card in at booking. It was a ridiculously cheap flight anyway (no miles earn, but on this trip the luggage allowance is more important).