Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

How does airnz calculate status and airpoint dollar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Can someone please explain why you earn less status point and airpoints dollar flying Adelaide to Houston on J class

Compared to Adelaide to LAX on J class
both ‘deal’ airfares

Adelaide to lax is a much shorter flight and cheaper and flying to Houston is longer and cost more

It doesn’t make sense

Can someone enlighten me

Last edited by Melia; Jan 17, 2019 at 10:14 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Melia
Can someone please explain why you earn less status point and airpoints dollar flying Adelaide to Houston on J class

Compared to Adelaide to LAX on J class
both ‘deal’ airfares

Adelaide to lax is a much shorter flight and cheaper and flying to Houston is longer and cost more

It doesn’t make sense

Can someone enlighten me
The earnings are not fixed for each 'journey', but rather earnings are in a range.
See here the ranges for each of ADL-IAH and ADL-LAX : https://www.airnzpoints.co.nz

I have no idea what determines the exact earn - whether it is as simple as just the headline fare class (i.e. J, Z, D, C) or something more complex.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
AP earn is based on booking class - which is losely tied to price) and route. They're obviously different between the different fares.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:26 pm

Apparently every few months they spin a barrel and pick random numbers. Looking at how the points are given out it must be the only way.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wayoutwest
Apparently every few months they spin a barrel and pick random numbers. Looking at how the points are given out it must be the only way.

classic! I wouldn’t be surprised
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
AP earn is based on booking class - which is losely tied to price) and route. They're obviously different between the different fares.
as one who cares about status points, It is is weird. On one of my current routes of interest, for example calculator says the ranges are:

flexi works: 15-30 50-98 status points
flexi Works deluxe: 34-59 65-115 status points
Premium economy: 39.8-61.8 57-86 status points

on the direct flight the premium economy price is about 50% more than works and and no works deluxe available that i can see.

makes my head hurt which is probably intentional...
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by macdo
as one who cares about status points, It is is weird. On one of my current routes of interest, for example calculator says the ranges are:

flexi works: 15-30 50-98 status points
flexi Works deluxe: 34-59 65-115 status points
Premium economy: 39.8-61.8 57-86 status points

on the direct flight the premium economy price is about 50% more than works and and no works deluxe available that i can see.

Remember that Flexi Works is different to Works, and I dont think PE is flexi by default.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by drajknox

Remember that Flexi Works is different to Works, and I dont think PE is flexi by default.
Good point, apples and apples - maybe it is consistent somewhere....
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by wayoutwest
It's a weekly throw at the dart board at smoko time . . . . . .

Last edited by kiwicyclo; Jan 19, 2019 at 11:38 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Melia

classic! I wouldn’t be surprised
Yes someone I know who used to get Gold with their amount of flying now cannot even get silver.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by curioustill
Yes someone I know who used to get Gold with their amount of flying now cannot even get silver.
My regional commute would have got me Elite + some banked, alone every year, now I would just qualify for gold . . . the earn has gone down hill, while prices have gone up. its always the same Q300 6.15 am out bound and Q300 7.05 pm inbound . . . . never changes
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
The gold and elite members must be falling

Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
My regional commute would have got me Elite + some banked, alone every year, now I would just qualify for gold . . . the earn has gone down hill, while prices have gone up. its always the same Q300 6.15 am out bound and Q300 7.05 pm inbound . . . . never changes
based on these changes/observations there must be a substantial fall in the number of Airnz Gold and Elite members !
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by macdo

Aircraft hardware can affect earn rate too - if your direct flight has PE but no Works Deluxe, that makes it a widebody (B777-200, B777-300, or B787-9). If it has Works Deluxe, that makes it a narrowbody (A320, B737). If I recall correctly, prices on widebodies are higher, but because relative yield is a bit lower the earn is worse. Prices on narrowbodies are lower but the relative yield is higher so earn is better (hence why Works Deluxe earns the same as PE despite being cheaper).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Beano
based on these changes/observations there must be a substantial fall in the number of Airnz Gold and Elite members !
not necessarily - a lot of people have banked years, get some SCs through credit card spend, etc
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
Not at all . . . . add on Credit Card Earn, substantial domestic travel for work (outside of commute) and 12 - 14 USA / OZ trips a year and my recreational travel I am well and truly safe at GE for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.