Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone flown on NZ from LAX to LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Anyone flown on NZ from LAX to LHR?

About to fly from LAX to LHR in April and this is my first time flying on Air New Zealand's 777-300ER as regular economy seat.
Love to get some feedbacks on the flight and aircraft.

Thxs
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
What do you want to know?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
My very generalized view about NZ economy on the 777 is that its nothing special but at the same time it isn't bad. In general the service is good, the seat is average.

The unique feature I do like on NZ is the snack and drink ordering from the touch screen. However, I have flown QF in economy long haul and actually like them a bit more! Their sandwiches for snacks between meals on QF are excellent!!

The only caveat would be the 10 abreast seating on the 777 which personally I find a very crammed cabin. I've flown that route in economy before, and the overhead lockers were also absolutely jammed with bags, I was surprised at how heavy the locker was when I had to push one closed.

​​​​​​Personally, when flying economy long haul I try to avoid NZ and the 777 because of the 10 abreast seating. I really enjoy NZ business class and premium economy however.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by BZNZ
However, I have flown QF in economy long haul and actually like them a bit more!
Not sure what QF has to do with this, they don't fly LAX-LHR.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Economy is what Economy is - Don't want to be disturbed then get a window seat, like to get up then get an aisle - expect to be bumped a lot by crew, carts and fellow passengers - the aisles are slim.
trooper, Yoshi212 and Bub001 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Thxs for the comments....
Actually flying with family of 3 ( 8yr old child) and they have the sky couch. Is it worth it for us? .
which seats are designated as sky couches on 777-300? wondering to pay $50 preferred seating and try to get the sky couch seats or pay full $200 for sky couch?

Last edited by windrider; Jan 2, 2019 at 5:42 pm
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by windrider
Thxs for the comments....
Actually flying with family of 3 ( 8yr old child) and they have the sky couch. Is it worth it for us? .
which seats are designated as sky couches on 777-300? wondering to pay $50 preferred seating and try to get the sky couch seats or pay full $200 for sky couch?
If there are three of you then a Skycouch will simply mean you'll get seats that will have a legrest that folds up to make a single flat surface that covers where your legs would usually be. Unless you want a flat surface for your child to lie on to ensure sleep, there is no other point to a Skycouch. There is more advantage if there are fewer than three people. If you pay for preferred seating you wont get a Skycouch per se, but you might get a Skycouch row without the full Skycouch functionality and features. Personally I don't think there is much value in paying $200 for a Skycouch unless it is all about letting the child sleep without disturbance. Note you do not need to convert all three seats to the couch, it could just be two or the one the child is on, but you have to pay for the lot.

On the 777-300ER it is rows 37-46 in the front economy cabin, only the side sets of three seats (A-C, H-K) that can be converted int Skycouches, but if they are not sold as Skycouches they are just three seats, although at check-in staff may allocate them as Skycouches to some customers either due to status or as a type of "op-up" (operational upgrade) for a family.

As others have said, NZ in economy has pretty good service for economy and reasonable catering for economy, but 10 abreast in a 777 is a tight squeeze, although it is no tighter than a 787 in 9 abreast (see Virgin Atlantic and United) and American does 10 abreast in a 777 on this route as well. NZ does have more legroom than others in standard economy (leaving aside some of the extra legroom products which United, American and Virgin have).

The worst thing about flying LAX-LHR is it is an overnight flight, and any long overnight economy flight can be uncomfortable and tiresome.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
The Sky Couch is interesting. It all comes down to how important it is for your 8 year old to sleep. It will be great for them: you can lift their legrest up and they'll probably be small enough to curl into a ball and sleep. As adults though, since one seat will be taken up with your 8 year old, you won't really get to utilize it at all.

For parents with 2 kids who aren't squeezed by the extra money, I would think it would be a no-brainer. But for just 1 child, the value goes down a bit.

The alternative is to look into something call "Fly Legs Up" - I'm actually a very short adult with a gymnast background so even I've used it to turn my economy seat into a "lie-flat" bed before.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
The alternative is to look into something call "Fly Legs Up" - I'm actually a very short adult with a gymnast background so even I've used it to turn my economy seat into a "lie-flat" bed before.
NZ explicitly forbids these devices, officially for safety reasons, but obviously to protect the skycouch product.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso
NZ explicitly forbids these devices, officially for safety reasons, but obviously to protect the skycouch product.
Though think most airlines that do allow are window seat only, so not too block anyone else and not allowed in middle block as could block people crossing from one side to the another.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Though think most airlines that do allow are window seat only, so not too block anyone else and not allowed in middle block as could block people crossing from one side to the another.
Indeed, window seats or middle seats of middle blocks only.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit
That Legs Up device looks as if it could cause almost as much inter-passenger grief as the Knee Defender - which stopped/limited the seat in front from reclining!

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jan 4, 2019 at 12:05 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
That Legs Up device looks as if it could cause almost as much inter-passenger grief as the Knee Defender - which stopped/limited the seat in from from reclining!
If not the window can also block people from exiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.