Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Access to NZ Business Class lounge for UA Polaris customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Access to NZ Business Class lounge for UA Polaris customers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:01 pm

Slightly different question. We are flying NZ IAH-AKL-NAN. First segment is in J and AKL-NAN in Y (its a single cabin flight), would we have access to NZ lounge in AKL? TIA
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: NZ *G
If you are booked one J class ticket for the entire itinerary then yes, but otherwise no. If your flight from AKL to NAN is on a separate ticket then you won’t be able to use the lounge (unless you’re *Gold).
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Interestingly, I was once flying J with Virgin Australia back when Air NZ had their alliance. I was booked in J the whole way, but was flying Air NZ to SYD which was a single cabin flight in the morning out of CHC. Air NZ would not let me into the lounge until I changed my frequent flyer number to be my NZ number.

I showed them I was booked in J and was flying Y because no J seats were available. They did not care and my ticket was buzzing red.

That may have been because I was flying with VA. Unsure.

​​​​
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Looking at a possible award in December, SFO to AKL round trip.

I would immediately fly to CHC, then drive to different parts of the South Island, then fly out of ZQN back to AKL for the long-haul. The return is AKL-LAX-SFO and departs after 10 PM.

I would either take a morning or afternoon flight from ZQN to AKL and then have something like 8-10 hours before the AKL-LAX flight would depart.

The domestic flights would be on separate tickets than the long-haul award but I would assume NZ would interline? The long-hauls are on NZ as well.

Or if not, I could take my bags from the domestic terminal at AKL but I would imagine not being able to check in until around 19:00? So are there left-luggage lockers or facilities at AKL?

I would assume the AZ lounge for international departures would be airside, so I couldn't take the suitcase I need to check in there.

Alternative is to see if I can leave my luggage with the QT hotel and hang out in QT and take a flight around 18 or 19:00 to AKL.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Typically speaking Air NZ will not interline bags on seperate PNRs except for their own Elite status customers.

There is luggage storage at AKL domestic and international terminals.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
You could try check-in your bags when you arrive in AKL, NZ’s international check In at opens at about 0430 every morning and stays open all day.

They don’t have dedicated counters or zones for flights it just an Premium check-in, and standard check-in for all flights
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:24 pm

You shouldn't get off a flight to NZ and drive long distances the same day, it kills many a tourist. Should send the day/night in CHC before driving around the south island.

There is no Alitalia longue in AKL.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I would favour departing ZQN earlier than later to ensure that if you have any issues departing Queenstown you still have time to get up to Auckland.

At AKL collect bags and either attempt checkin at International or (if no go) store bags. As @sbiddle noted checking bags through on separate tix (even NZ-NZ) is very unlikely unless an NZ elite.

Then enjoy a day in Auckland before going through departure process at AKL. The international lounge at AKL can be quite a zoo between 1800-2100 - so be forewarned!
Old Oct 5, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Both Queenstown and Auckland have all day check-in but yes you could leave luggage at your hotel in Queenstown. I’d check my luggage in at Auckland international on arrival. Don’t need to pay for bag storage. Then skybus into town or Uber to Villa Maria if you like wine. Mini golf down the road. Head to Cornwall park for a walk and coffee. Head to Giapo in the CBD for arty ice cream. Always has a line. If I had to choose between more time in queenstown or Auckland I’d choose Queenstown. You can purchase a flexitime ticket and change for free on the day if you like. Just keep a close eye on the weather and if it looks dodgy then fly earlier.

I always think theres never any harm in asking about checking luggage through but don’t get your hopes up.

Even Virgin australia doesn’t check through luggage on separate tickets for their own status customers but they do to partner carriers 🤷.♀️

As others say, with *G you’ll have access to NZ lounges. There is priority pass in the Strata lounge but prefer NZ lounge.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Oct 6, 2019 at 4:55 pm
Old Oct 5, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Really surprised that VA won't even do it for their top tier status. The one thing I really appreciate about flying UA is they will connect two separate PNRs with them and Air NZ for me if I am flying business with them, which is much appreciated.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Really surprised that VA won't even do it for their top tier status. The one thing I really appreciate about flying UA is they will connect two separate PNRs with them and Air NZ for me if I am flying business with them, which is much appreciated.
They recently did it for me when I was flying economy with them and business with NZ.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by SeaProf
They recently did it for me when I was flying economy with them and business with NZ.
UA will interline anybody and virtually every airline they have an interline agreement witrh providing you're able to deal with the Premier Access staff. I've had several cases in the last few years after CES where it's not possible to get seats between LAS and LAX on Air NZ tickets as UA block out all the codeshare booking classes but UA have plenty of seats and cheapish tickets available if you get in early enough.

In both cases I've had early morning flights to LAX and then usual NZ1/NZ5 evening departures so was keen to spend the day in LA between flights without bags. I've simply got UA to interline bags to my Air NZ flight, got them tagged and then turned up at Air NZ check-in and given them the UA bag tag # to load into their system so the bags get loaded to NZ. It has worked flawlessly.

Last edited by sbiddle; Oct 6, 2019 at 12:59 pm
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

OK, award ticket booked, SFO-AKL-LAX.

Will have to book an AKL-CHC ticket and a ZQN-AKL ticket.

I should be able to get into the NZ lounge in the AKL domestic terminal as a *A Gold?

Because I may have as much as a 4-hour layover. The 9 AM flight is 3 times as expensive as the 10 AM flight for some reason but maybe Google Flights is displaying different types of tickets, maybe one with and one without checked luggage.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
OK, award ticket booked, SFO-AKL-LAX.

Will have to book an AKL-CHC ticket and a ZQN-AKL ticket.

I should be able to get into the NZ lounge in the AKL domestic terminal as a *A Gold?

Because I may have as much as a 4-hour layover. The 9 AM flight is 3 times as expensive as the 10 AM flight for some reason but maybe Google Flights is displaying different types of tickets, maybe one with and one without checked luggage.
Dont use google flights, look at AirNZ.co.nz as fares for local market are cheaper and not marketed internationally - just check the nature of the fare per my post in the other thread (Seat, Seat+Bag, FlexiTime, and FlexiDate)

No issue to enter the lounge as UA*G. I assume your UA ff# will be in the booking.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just to clarify, I can get into the NZ lounge between my J SFO-AKL and AKL-CHC flights right? The first is an award and the second is a separately-purchased ticket.

Or would *A Gold usually suffice to get me access?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.